I was doing a repower on a small telehandler the other day when I noticed something interesting on the emission label. Don't remember the exact wording but it said something to the effect of: "Not to be installed in any equipment older than 40 years" This was a brand new (not reman) Tier 4 compliant engine. What's the reasoning behind not wanting someone to repower an old machine with a cleaner, modern engine?
I don't know about Canada but there is some language in EPA regulations and legislative bodies about life cycles to only be allowed out to 40 years. I've heard the proposals and negotiations started at 20 years. I haven't heard that being made a law yet and I don't know if it would be legally enforceable at this time. Maybe someone else knows more.
Just found it interesting that they don't want you to update a 40 year old smoke factory with something that makes less emissions. I could see it the other way, not installing it in a machine newer than a certain year since Tier 4i is lower than Tier 4f
Probably wrote backwards from Pakistan or the like. Our new toaster said to plug it in before cleaning.
62 years old and still digging. Burns about 10 gallons of diesel per shift. Is it really that bad to keep old stuff going? Consider scrapping , reproducing and new capital costs , i wonder if anyone has considered the full circle of melting all the old iron , the short life cycle of half plastic half iron new stuff ?
The last thing any manufacturer wants to do is build a machine that lasts forever. Who do you think puts up the money for laws that guarantee turn over. That little BE is perfect for what it is doing. The manufacturer doesn't really exist anymore to lobby to keep it around.