I have a D6 Cat for sale and have advertised it in the local trader paper and online at their site. Last night I received this email: Name: Jordan Evans Phone: Email: [email protected] (Mods, if this is not appropriate please remove this email adress. On a google search of this email adress it led me to a few forums where the same email that I got had been posted along with his email adress) Question Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactely amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan. I replied that I still have it and when he would need it, and this is the response I got: Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. I didn't pick up that this was a scam until after I sent him my paypal email adress and I got suspicious... :Banghead So don't be stupid like I was if you see something like this!!! I've reported it to the RCMP but I have doubts as to whether or not I'll ever hear about any outcome...
Forum rules specify that you're not to post anybody's email address but your own, but that's to protect the other person. In this case, I think we can make an exception.
i get this all the time in Australia, but they say they work for the australian navy and that they are out at sea. He then sends you a email looking like its from paypal with links to his own paypal looking site where you login to check the money is there(You thinking it is paypal.com) and then he has your paypal username and password. He then tells you he needs a shipping agent to pick up the unit, and that the payment to the agent needs to be done by western union so he cant do it. So you have to send $500US to this agent. So he has a double dip, having your paypal username and password and then the $500USD, most people would stop at logging into his site as it is sus but he doesnt care he can still get your money. It has been going around for about a year in Australia, it is comletly fake. Nick
F*$T^### Crooks! I hate'em. Just to add a few other older threads of similar type scams - The more people that read about these different types of scams, the less victims there will be out there.
Plenty of scammers out there. I got an email from someone wanting to buy my backhoe off eBay. He wanted to have it picked up in 2 weeks as he is in Mexico. He wanted to pay for it at time of pickup with travelers checks. When I told him I would need payment by bank wire or cash, he lost interest. I don't really need the backhoe any longer but I need it more than a box full of counterfeit travelers checks. If you don't know the person you are dealing with bank wire transfer is the only way to go.
Ditto on that. Also watch out for certified checks or cashiers checks. There are many bogus ones out there. They look legit, and even pass first inspection at the bank. Problem is, it goes to the clearing house, and they find out it is bogus. The clearing house sends it back to your bank, who then takes the money back out of your account. In the few days all this takes, the crook is long gone with your item. Cash or wire transfer, and if it is cash, take the buyer with the cash to your bank to verify it is not counterfeit.
Don't do it.
Yeah ya gotta be careful, the web is full of scammers and the reason they exist is because people fall for their scams. This is particularly prevalent in the car market. If you're going to use paypal, go through the paypal website, DO NOT follow links from emails. This also applies to banks. If you're going to be using paypal, learn how it works, so if someone asks you to do something that is out of the ordinary you can protect youreself. Another favourite is the second chance offers from ebay sellers, there again if you get a second chance offer, go through the ebay website to make contact with the seller. Once again do not follow links from emails and assume they are all scams until proven otherwise. I would also advise that if you are approached by a buyer willing to pay your price without wanting to check the machine out, that this buyer is a scammer. Would you buy a machine sight unseen and just agree to pay what the seller wants? One of the classic old school scams is the large amount of money in a foreign land, that just needs a few thousand dollars from you, in order to get the money out of the country and then you'll get a slice of that money. The sad part about this, is that people fall for it. Just the other day I got an email from a supposed soldier in Iraq who needs some money, so he can get a large quantity of Saddams hidden gold out of Iraq. This is a good one because it is semi plausible (remember the movie "Three Kings") plus there is the romance of gold, smuggling and a bit of cloak and dagger stuff.
This is a good explanation of how it works, seems he/she is trying to get you to sent money for pick up to a supposed agent. http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9089
Scam.. There are always new ways in which scammers will try to get to your money so you can never be to sure. The best way to pay for something is using L/C or garantee when you buy something from abroad. If yuo need to get payed T/T advance bank wire is the best way but even then you can get scammed because scammers have hacked bank accounts which they use. I plan on buying CAT parts from the US anyone can suggest some reliable companies which are located on the east coast? Thanks in advance,
AS I recall I think you had to verify your paypal account with your bank account routing numbers in order to establish the "link" between the two. and then I think you could add additional forms of payment afterwards IE credit cards and etc. If I remember right they would depdosit a token amount of money (paypal) into your account and as soon as that showed up on your bank statement or some such thing then you could finalize your account registration.
Another thing to note on these Nigerian fraudsters, English is their second language. The fact that a oceanographer (you would guess with some serious schooling under his belt) couldn't capatilise his i's would have sent me running the other way. I hope you've come away unscathed from this? Damned bludgers, ought to be shot!
I'm wondering what the RCMP have to do with anything? I doubt the Feds here would take time out for it but the RCMP...well.....last I saw they still wear kilts. (skirts) Usually scams like that are easy to spot, the sending email address and content. Most of them that aren't from english speaking countries tend to use poor diction and text. An oceanographer that is giving his son a gift of a used bulldozer? LMFAOOOOOO That dude needs a slap for even trying to pass that off.
You might want to figure out what you're talking about before you start posting something. The RCMP do not wear kilts...only the pipe and drum band do.
Or what I'm typing about, right? Yes sir my literacy skills need some work, theres (oops) no denying that. And thank you for pointing out the RCMP are most certainly a force to be reckoned with AND a highly credible agency. I was wondering what the RCMP can actually do about internet policing, there sure isn't much they do down here with it when it comes to such scams.
You know, there's a whole sport, so to speak, called "spambaiting", wherin you lead them along just to see how annoyed you can make them. Here, I'll Google that for you--scambaiting stories On edit: On at least one of those sites, it's pointed out that local law enforcement often isn't interested, because there's so much work involved in tracking down and prosecuting these guys, and such little chance of success, that resources are better used elsewhere.
It would be nice if an IP address could be gotten but they usually use internet cafes over there. Not being a rich society the common folk do not have internet in the house as we are accustomed too. Back in the day I'd ping the hell out of whatever IP I could get off the sender until they realized what a pest somebody else can be who isn't interested in stealing peoples money.
Got a PM from someone wondering as to why it would make a difference if he had internet banking or not, look at it this way if indeed he was at sea it is a very poor chance that he would be banking without internet banking, also in order to set up a paypal account to use online he had to have the Link established, most often this is done one of three ways, internet banking account, phone or snail mail. And he had to set it up with his bank account first. My point being is that more than likely he had internet banking already (even if he wasn't a fraud) and could have wired the money directly to you.
bank wire... As I mentioned bank wire is a safe way of receiving payments but you should also check which bank account it is and where the money is coming from. You may have trouble after sometime because there are a lot of hacked bank accounts and payments from get transfered everyday. Are you able to provide with some reliable companies from TN which can supply CAT parts?
Well he's trying it again, except this time his name is Robert Hardy and he's an engineer working on an oil rig, but again buying it for his son... I'm going to have a bit of fun with this guy this time like the scam baiters do, we'll see how long I can string him along... He wastes my time, I'll waste his...
Um, not if it's stolen money. And how would you know? I got caught out selling some old car parts on ebay. Buyer wins auction and chooses cash on pickup. Buyer rocks up, says "oh yeah, I paypaled you just now". You quickly check your paypal and confirm, shake hands and say goodbye. Two days later transaction gets "reversed" because they paypaled using a stolen credit card. Can't really blame paypal or ebay. As per the law stolen money always belongs back with its rightful owner, now matter what that money was used for and who got screwed along the way.
I dunno about anyone else but what sets my alarm bells ringing is the way the communication is written, spelling mistakes and all. Nobody writes like that in my experience.............. "Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactely amount you want to sell it" That screams scammer. I received a very similar mail when I was trying to sell some stuff online last year.
Yes,looks like translater auto spell check. These days,I buy and sell through at trusted dealer unless I know them. As for smaller parts,it’s cash on collection. It’s easy enough to say on a post,but harder in reality.I do have card machines etc,but once in a while things slip the net
I like the idea of a bulldozer as a "surprise" gift. I would think bulldozers are like bulldogs and you make darn sure it is the gift the recipient wants before you give it.
I totally forgot about this thread but here’s what ended up happening in the end… first of all here’s how this scam works. They try to trick you into thinking they’re a genuine buyer who for one reason or another can’t come in person so they’ll make the deal over the internet and then they tell you they have a shipper lined up to come get this thing and are sending you your asking price plus the cost of shipping. They say that you need to send the shipper the amount they added to your asking price. Next they send you a fake but legitimate looking paypal email with a fake web link saying the funds are there waiting to be released once the shipper gets his money that they supposedly sent you. You are to send the shipper the funds via western union and once the shipper receives his money he will affirm that he got it and your funds will be released to you. Of course the funds they sent you don’t exist and you just sent the “shipper” your hard earned money that you will never see again. So now what I did was set up a fake email address under the name Haywood Jablomie and string these dirtbags along for quite a while. I wish I still had the emails but it was such a long time ago and they’re long gone otherwise I’d post them here for your guys’ amusement. I led “Robert” to believe that I was good to go with this deal and he promptly sent me the email that said the funds were waiting to be released as soon as I paid the shipper (undoubtedly his alter-ego). Now I stopped responding and within hours got emails from him and “the police” threatening to arrest me if I didn’t pay the shipper. I waited a few days then told “Robert” that I had been in the hospital because I was run over by a Tonka truck. He quickly appologized for my misfortune and that he got the police involved but insisted I send the cash to the shipper asap. So I told him once I was out of the hospital I would send the money. I waited another day or 2 and every few hours got reminder emails that I need to pay the shipper. Finally I sent them a fake western union money transfer control number and within 5 minutes got a reply that that number was no good. I waited a few hours and of course received many more threatening emails in that time about how dishonest etc. I was. I finally reminded him that I had been run over by a Tonka truck and was still under the effects of the drugs the hospital had given me and I mistakenly wrote down an 8 instead of a 3 in the number and sent it again. No 5 minutes later did he write back saying that nimber was no good either. I sent a 3rd number with the order of a few digits reversed and again blamed hospital drugs for the dislexia. After his 3rd trip to Western Union I told him I knew he was a scammer and he would never see a dime from me. That’s when the death threats started coming in. Somehow his hitmen still haven’t found ol’ Haywood Jablomie… or me for that matter!
That is absolutely awesome spitz! Well played, well played indeed Sir!