Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Schaeff Walking Excavators

CascadeScaper ยท 2005-07-06 16:01

Hey everyone. Anybody have any experience with a Schaeff walking excavator? A guy around here had 2 of them a few years back, he sold one in about '98 and then sold the other about 3 years ago, a couple years before he completely closed up shop. He had the HS-40 models, one with pilot controls and one with 4 lever backhoe style controls. I got a chance to operate one a few years back, they are slick machines. The front outriggers extened out and to the sides as well as up and down. Also, the rear tired outriggers went side to side and up and down. He had a hydrualic thumb on both, extendable stick, a winch mounted on the stick just above the thumb, and it was a mid-mount pivoting boom like a mini-excavator. His machines however did not have the smaller drive wheels on the front outriggers like the new models have. His was strictly moved by lifting and pulling, although the new drive wheel system would be much faster on flat ground. Just wondering if anyone has found a market for these machines. This guy was doing contract work for Dopplmayr the German ski lift company digging pads for the lift towers at Jackson Hole and a couple other resorts. Needless to say, he did alot of shoreline and rockery work as we are situated in a valley along a lake, he did quite a bit of forestry work as these machines are very low impact, and he also did alot of very steep slope work. I've pondered the thought of going this route a few years from now after college is all done instead of doing the usual buy a dump truck and backhoe route. Here's a pic of the new ones, he had this size of machine.

Replies73
  1. #1glsahl2005-07-06 18:28

    you called this a "walking" machine? you mean the wheels have NO drive power? it's a cool looking critter,i can think of places it would be handy,but i've never heardof the brand.

  2. #2CascadeScaper2005-07-06 20:18

    The 2 smaller wheels in the front are drive wheels, but the larger ones in back do not propel the machine. Like I said, the smaller wheels only really help you traverse flat ground where this machine really serves little or no purpose, it is a completely specialized machine. Schaeff is a german brand and is now merged with Terex, so I imagine parts availability will be a little easier.

  3. #3Taylortractornu2005-07-06 20:41

    I beleive taht now the large rear welles are powered the ones in the picture have planetary hubs like the drive wheels on a milling machine. A friend of me had one of these the other day on his rig taking it to florida, he takes several down there as they use them for cleaning out canals. They usually hav large 24 in disks on the little wheels well in front of them for use as flotation pads. I operated a Menzi Muckall for for a an auction once had the 4 stick control. I didnt raise it up but it was a nice machine knida old though. I thought of building a smaller version for use in my partime landscaping business just for lake work. Kaiser also makes a large 4x4 version of thiss machine. My friend says alot of these are forsale in florida cheap one time he brought one back on a back haul that had sold for 8500 dollars. H built a thumb kit for it a few years ago. THe owner moved somewhere down south of here doing canal work. I think what had his machine so cheap was the salt water had minorly pitted some of the sheetmetal on the cab. Im looking into one for lake side work.

  4. #4DR RPM2005-07-06 21:06

    The machine has been around for quite a while, was called the kaiser (spelling) spider the climbing backhoe, very interesting machine. :bash

  5. #5digger242j2005-07-06 21:27

    I know they've been around for quite a while. My uncle once worked for an outfit that sold them, and I think he's been gone almost 30 years now. I remember that he had a demonstration movie (yeah, nobody had heard of VCRs yet either), that we watched. Among other nifty feats, it showed the machine climbing about a 6 foot high vertical concrete wall. At that time it was called the Kamo 3X. He thought it was a pretty good machine, except that the engine was pretty much a throw away type. It wasn't good for more than a few thousand hours and then it was cheaper to replace than rebuild. No power at all to the wheels. If I recall correctly, the two stabilizers swung together to form sort of trailer tongue, and it could be hooked up and towed on the rear tires. On site, you had to do all the moving around with the hoe. Just last year there were a couple of them working a mountainside only a couple of miles from here. It's an area prone to falling rock, and they were way up the side of the hill (almost a cliff), picking away at the loose rock. I never had the time to stop and get pics...

  6. #6CascadeScaper2005-07-07 01:12

    Sounds like there is more history to these machines than I thought! I've seen pictures where this guy I know had taken his HS-40's, they are truly amazing machines. I really like a challenge and could really see myself putting myself into a dangerous situation just for kicks, while getting paid! :thumbsup I think around here there could be a potential market for these machines, problem is that developments are taking hilly terrain and flattening it, so single house building sites on naturally challenging terrain are becoming few and far between, so the need for a cliffhanger might not be the best machine for new home excavation, but more specialized forestry, rockery, pond, river, and lakeside work could be a potential market to shoot for.

  7. #7DR RPM2005-07-08 21:00

    We have the video as well, very interesting :bash

  8. #8badranman2005-07-25 22:19

    Found this. Hope buddy gets paid good! :eek2

  9. #9bredsjo2005-11-20 16:20

    I am the proud owner of one out of three Kamo 3x in Sweden. Its a quite intresting machine but Im am for the moment trying to find all pieces of the engine wich broke down a couple of years ago. Is there anyone hwo knows if there is any firm hwo sels spareparts to this machine in the US? Or if the only chanse is by contacting Kamo?

  10. #10digger242j2005-11-20 17:22

    Bredsjo, first, welcome to the Forums! As I posted above, my recollection is that I was told the engine was not a very high quality part. (At that time I was still in school, and not involved in the construction industry, so I have no first hand experience.) Can you tell us what company manufactured the engine? Even if nobody knows where to get parts for that specific model of machine, maybe someone will know of a parts supplier for that particular brand of engine. Did you use the machine much before it broke down? I'm sure we'd be interested to know what it's like to actually operate one.

  11. #11bredsjo2005-11-20 17:33

    Hi. In my Kamo there is an two cylinder aircooled VM dieselengine. The weakest part in the engine is (according to the owner before me) the oilpump and the rubber hoses wich carries the engine from the filter to the pump. I havent operate the machine at all because I took the broken machine as payment for an old tractorengine. But I hope I will get it ready untill next spring.

  12. #12Dusty2006-01-05 20:07

    get some pics

  13. #13treemuncher2006-12-31 18:07

    Menzi 5000T2 Thanks to your post about the walking excavators, I finally found this site! Glad to be a participant. I have a Menzi Muck 5000T2MT that I bought about 1.5 years ago as an experimental piece just to see if it was worth it to purchase a newer one sometime in the future. It had 2 control sticks per hand which really sucked being that I am used to my Komatsu PC200-6 with joysticks. I did some shop engineering and adapted the original controllers to a single joystick for each hand and now the little machine works pretty good. Menzi wanted just under $4k for joystick controllers so my $100 fix is working pretty well considering the options. I have not gotten very proficient with this machine yet, although I don't bang my head on the ceiling as much as I used to. It is very touchy on the controls and you have to plan and think more than with a regular trackhoe. I have a rip-rap job coming up in the next month or so that I will have to use this machine on. Nothing else will fit into the work area and nothing else has the reach. This model has a third wheel that provides road and flat terrain transportation so that you dont have to walk it in and out of the job. This speeds up work and makes the whole system much better. Another trick I use is to place the bucket into the bed of my Yanmar C60R and lift the front pads so that it is towed via the rear wheels. It is a strange looking beast, regardless! The machine has serious terrain capabilities but it takes some time to get used to the movements and grow balls big enough to take chances on extreme terrain. I've also got a set of swamp tires and swamp pads for this rig. So far, I really like this thing. It is unique and a challenge to operate. It can perform jobs that no other machine can access or work on. Chances are, if the money gets right some day, I will purchase a newer unit and sell this one off. For now, it has been an enjoyable experience. I just have to see how crazy I can get with this thing!

  14. #14treemuncher2007-01-01 13:13

    Sorry folks, something went wrong with the photo editing. Let's see if these pics come through any better...

  15. #15itsgottobegreen2007-01-01 20:41

    Thats really cool. Never seen a 3 wheel version before

  16. #16Wolf2007-01-02 00:15

    Great looking machine!!!

  17. #17Countryboy2007-01-02 00:41

    Thats a good looking ex. Some of the more challenging equipment is more fun to run. :yup

  18. #18laketreefarm2010-09-06 11:18

    Menzi Muck 5000t Hey Tree Muncher. If you remember 2 years ago I looked at your 5000 and put it on my wish list. You sold it before I could get my cash together, however I went on the hunt for one and found a 5000T identical to yours from the City of Detroit with only 950 hrs. in perfect condition. Been digging now for 2 years and it's got a 50 hour learning curve but is a hell of a digger. Just dug a Boat ramp down a 60 deg. slope and it was the machine for the job. I mounted a Klac system quick bucket release system on it and use it with a bunch of skid steer tools with a " Hookem-up" skid steer to excavator adaptor for site/slope grading/landcaping. The only thing I don't like is the single powered wheel on the back which spins out on wet ground pretty easily. I'm going to Florida next week to inspect a 6000T2m that got 2 wheel drive and joysticks though I do like the simple to maintain Case style controls on the 5000 series. Most older guys learned on Case Ck 580's with the same setup and it felt good to be grabbing the big controls after so many years of Joy sticks.

  19. #19laketreefarm2010-09-06 22:20

    Menzi Muck I've run my Swiss made 5000T2 Menzi Muck for 2 years after seeing TreeMuncher's in action. Best digger I've ever run. Very fast. I had a 26,000# Komatsu wheel loader sliding down a bank into the KY River and caught it with a chain and pulled it back up deadweight up a 45 deg. slope with the Muck's boom. The only think I miss in comparison to a track excavator is blade grading ability. Since most larger 8ton and up track machines don't have blades then that's a moot point. The 10 ton Muck will outdig any machine it's size. I run 48" buckets and turn out a dump truck load in clay in under 10 min. on a steep slope or in 6ft of water. In common use in Europe and Asia pretty rare in US. Schaeff/Terex and Kaiser are the only other makers and also make very high quality handmade machines. Price of a new Menzi Muck is over $200K but used older ones can be found cheap as most operators are clueless as to their value. I paid $9500.00 for a 950 hr. machine in auction as know one wanted it. Too strange a concept for US operators. Florida is the hotspot as they're used by cities to clean canals and when they sell them no-one wants them. Parts for even 20 year old machines are available from menziusa the US dealer but prices are high due to the rareness of the machine. Most users use for steep slope work or in mud and water although we use ours in everyday jobs and our customers gawk when we show up with our Menzi Muck. We always get crowds wherever we operate around the public. The most profitable jobs are cellphone towers, ski slope work, pond clean outs, riprap placement, and brush clearing on slopes with a shredder on the boom.:Banghead

  20. #20laketreefarm2010-09-06 22:34

    Pic of a Menzi Muck 5000T2 Here's our Menzi on a boat ramp slope job.

  21. #21sultan2010-09-06 22:34

    Wow! That's a real bargain. Looks like a pretty useful machine to have.

  22. #22laketreefarm2010-09-06 22:39

    Muck bargains There's another 5000T2 on Machinery trader right now for the $9950.00. Looks in great shape. See link

  23. #23scholzee2010-09-07 12:16

    What kind and where is the engine in the yellow one ? Does not look like it could be to powerful.

  24. #24stock2010-09-07 19:47

    this is a link to a thread for Brian Hay's spyder hoe

  25. #25Dr. Ernie2010-09-09 23:13

    I was wondering where the machine from Dertoit went, It is good to see it went to a good home. I Knew about the machine, but could not find it, I found it at the same time it sold when the new mayior of detroit needed to find some $$$ a point of interest, a buddy of mine helped to prep the machine for delivery and delivered it. You are correct about the learning curve and I do belive that most operators do not or can not truly operate one. I am currently using/ running a Scheaff HS41 MM Things may change in a few more days and it may be for sale

  26. #26Digger Dan2010-09-10 00:46

    Would love to have a few hours in one of these, sure look interesting

  27. #27ben12010-09-10 05:41

    how do the controls work on thes walking excavators and how do you move the legs?

  28. #28laketreefarm2010-09-11 09:32

    My first try at operating a walker was in a Schaeff 41 in Danville KY in 2004. I was clueless and the salesman was equally lost we could barely get it to move. They wanted $150K for it which was more than I wanted to risk on a machine I did't get. It wetted my interest and when the Detroit 5000T2 I got now came up at a bargain price I drove to Michigan cash in hand. Still didn't know how to move it. When the lowboy delivered it the next morning in Frankfort KY his trailer was so low we were afraid to hang it up on my country road so we pulled into a BP station at 6:00AM to unload. I drove it for the first time by walking it from the back of the lowboy onto my lowboy without touching the ground. Took me an hour to do it very carefully while a crowd of farmers watched betting that I'd fall off the lowboys or turn it over. I pulled out of the parking lot with the legs extended as the bypass valve that moved the legs in or out got stuck and I couldn't move the legs in. I drove 3 miles with legs out 12 ft. Peeled one guardrail as I made a turn and made it to my farm in a sweat. Rebuilt the stuck valve and spent hours figuring out the moves for the machine to work. Got 300 plus hours in operations now and the only job I'd hesitate to do would be a deep mud job as I don't have the mud floats for my legs.

  29. #29Dr. Ernie2010-09-13 15:26

    on the Schaeff that I run,(notice I did not say operate, as I need another 200 hrs to be a operator, I have around 200 hrs on it so far) It has 4 thunb swiches on top of each joystick and a change over buttons on the left one for the fingers to operate, this give you a total of 8 functions you control with each joystick, this controls the legg movements. It can be interesting when the change over valve takes a moment longer to switch. On the newer a series Menzi Mucks and the newer Kiasers they use a mini joystick on each joystick their is a total of 2 to 3 of these little joysticks these you operate with your thumbs, their is also a serries of buttons to control other functions both on top and the bottom of the joysticks, their is alot of buttons to deal with but it is fairly simple to get use to. On the Menzi Mucks you can easly add 3 axualary lines to the machine, along with a dedicated pump circit as, with this one you could end up with 4 lines to the working end of the machine. The new Menzi's are absoultly a kick azz machine and are impresive to say the least in the hands of a true operator. The Kaisers are prety good as well.....

  30. #30Dr. Ernie2010-09-13 15:43

    Here is a few pictures of a job I did earlier It was in the middel of a subdivision, I was able to do everything in the creek and only needed to trim a handfull of branches to do the work, it was kinda interesting as I also needed to be mindfull of sprinklers as well. I actualy had to bring dirt INTO the creek toget the banks shaped correctly. It was interesting as the clay that was brought to me was so dry that the moment it saw water it turned into gravy not fun to work with....

  31. #31laketreefarm2010-09-13 23:25

    Schaeff spyder excavator Dr. Earnie I tried to find a Schaeff and except for the one I could not afford haven't seen any for sale. I have two Schaeff SCL 515 wheel loaders which I like a lot except when it comes time to get parts or service and Terex dealers have ruined Schaeff on that score.

  32. #32SteepTek2010-10-26 19:36

    Used Walking Excavator we have a used walking excavator Kaiser x4 for sale. It has a new engine and new swing gear/bearing plus we replaced a ton of hoses. Also has a tilt att on the end of the boom for the bucket Still have all the replaced hoses and also a second nearly complete parts machine. Email for pictures [email protected]

  33. #33cutting edge2010-10-27 00:55

    There are a couple of guys in Pemberton,British Columbia with a few of the Kaiser machines. I think theirs have a perkins in them.

  34. #34mxridernrth2010-10-28 02:15

    I own a Kaiser X4 Turbostar. Got it in January of this year. It's a 93 machine that I bought with only 840 hours on it. Essentially new. Now I'm up to a whopping 1092 hours!! There's certainly a learning curve and there are times when a tracked machine would be easier (like moving around on soft flat ground), but all-in-all it's a pretty cool machine. I've tackled some really steep stuff already but confess to having relied on the winch. Though the really steep one was at night getting myself out of a stream gully that was about 50' up a slimy clay bank in the rain. Here's a few pics back when I was even more green than now.

  35. #35Dr. Ernie2010-10-31 20:49

    Nothing wrong with using a winch on a steep slope, you knever know when something will go wrong.

  36. #36jimrr2010-11-01 09:48

    i can't get over that first pic of the machine on that slope....did he ever get back up the hill on his own i wonder? i can see you may need some extra eyes and such to be very proficient with this.

  37. #37laketreefarm2010-12-01 11:15

    Spider notes The real issue on steep slope work with a walking excavator is center of gravity. That's why you see most of these operators digging uphill as with the boom downhill you use the boom to push your machine farther up hill and your counterweight is always uphill. The stabilizer legs have a spread of 17 ft. so it's pretty hard to turn one over. In soft dirt or slate rock slopes you often slide a few feet til your feet dig in good. A winch is rarely needed except on extreme 12 to 1 slopes or wet slopes. Now is a good time to buy a walker/spider as with the economy slow a lot of equipment is getting sold cheap. A 1994 6000T series Menzi Muck with wrist sold in auction for $8000 in Houston Tx. last week. Had a failing pump but only 3200 hours. Menzi-USA 863-603-7979 (Paul) Cisilsai Equipment 727-639-3927 (Stan) http://en.bau-portal.com/gebraucht/_166.php All are good sources of equipment. Kaiser, Menzi Muck and Terex/Schaeff are the only three with parts dealers in the US. Given Terex's problems with buying too many companies too fast, so their dealer network is shaky, I'd stick with Kaiser or Menzi Muck. Both make superb machines. Most machines built prior to 2001 are not electronic which may limit some operational abilities but make them much simpler/cheaper to owner service. I'm impressed with the agility of the new machines but the over $200K price tags and the potential repair cost of on-board computer and sensors galore makes me wonder how long the electronics will last and what the future repair bills will be to replace all the gizmo's electronics that will prevent the owner from easily repairing them. I've got a 2002 Terex SCL 515 wheel loader that runs,turns, loader lifts but will not move one inch because the computer that controls the sensors is down and a new one is $5000 which is nut's for a pc that has less computing power than a cellphone. A Terex ripoff. So the machine sits till I can figure a way to bypass the wiring harness that goes into the computer. Any one out there that knows how to hotwire a Schaeff 515 speak up! Ren :beatsme

  38. #38laketreefarm2010-12-10 21:29

    HS 41 Shaeff I am currently using/ running a Scheaff HS41 MM Things may change in a few more days and it may be for sale[/QUOTE] Hey Dr. Earnie tell me about your HS 41 MM? Specs? Type of machine? Does it have electronics in control systems? How is it equipped? Still looking to sell it? Ren

  39. #39BrianHay2010-12-10 22:46

    Hey mxrider how's things going with the new machine? I have had a few projects come and go for your machine here in Nanaimo but couldn't catch a hold of you. I lost your number, tried sending a message through facebook before I left for Alberta but no reply. Hope all is well.

  40. #40DarrylMueller2011-02-09 19:04

    Working in tight spaces! I was thinking about all the places that can't get into because machines are two wide? These machines look like they can get real narrow? What is the small width that you could go through, and how low could you get through a door way? How do you move with a mower on? How would you move with a drill on it? What kind of hydraulic gpm do they have?

  41. #41Dr. Ernie2011-02-12 10:45

    Hey Dr. Earnie tell me about your HS 41 MM? Specs? Type of machine? Does it have electronics in control systems? How is it equipped? Still looking to sell it? Ren[/QUOTE] Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, I have been busy with my "new'' machine a A-91 Menzi, it is used the only way I could get it finaced, besides it is almose as good as a new one. It does have some electronics in the system primariarly as change over valves. As far as I know it is still for sale, PM if you want some more details It does com with a power tilt, a ditching bucket and a 30'' digging bucket.

  42. #42Dr. Ernie2011-02-12 10:51

    If you want to run a breaker or other small flow requirement attchments any should work, as far as larger flow attachments you will need a modern Menzi or Kiaser. These machines have been around for along time and have under gone ALOT of changes. The new machines are just AWESOME, ( I do not use this word much as I feel it is grosley overused but it is the correct word to use here.

  43. #43mebedave2011-08-30 06:57

    Does anyone have pictures or vids of a walking/spyder excavator digging out basement walls of a existing building ? I do not see how this could be possible, I think the legs would get in the way.

  44. #44laketreefarm2011-08-30 08:47

    The only way a walking excavator can dig parallel to a wall is one with a side articulated (knicker knack) boom or a offset knuckle boom joint at the base of the boom. Same is true for tracked or wheel excavators. Few do. Special order item. The A60 series Menzi had one standard for two years in the early 90's and very few were ordered or sold. I have a Hanix (Mitsibishi track that has an offset boom that does the job perfectly. Komatsu PC 30-75's can be ordered with them as can smaller Cats.

  45. #45laketreefarm2011-08-30 08:58

    To move them with a tool attached is no different than moving with a bucket as all the powered tools were designed to with a "foot" that takes the machine weight to move around on. My Menzi T-5000 width goes from 15 ft to 79" if needed. Older machines had regular flow up to 23 gpm.

  46. #46mebedave2011-08-31 06:29

    laketree do you have a pic. or a link to this offset your talking about? I parallel dig existing basement walls currently with a 580M backhoe no problem,but the spyder exc. gots my attention. If I could dig parallel in tight spots between houses, I have about 10 to 20 feet which I can do with the 580m. Any body else have any input??????????? Thanks

  47. #47laketreefarm2011-08-31 08:36

    Don Halvorson Hillside Equiptment in LA http://www.hillsideequipmentrental.com/2011/02/405-widening-job/ has an A51 Menzi in pictures on his site that shows the offset on the A51 Muck. This is a rare machine less than 30 in the US. Used 1992 machine sell for $50K. I checked and both ICI and Bobcat still make a track machine that has a swivel on the boom mount that allows trenching parallel to a house, The best tool though is the knickernack offset boom I mentioned in the previous post. I saw one yesterday on A Cat 305 as it was digging a trench a foot away from a fence line for a water line here in KY. Here's Takeuchi's link to their pivot offset boom : http://www.jdaviespencader.co.uk/products_takeuchi_excavator_tb180fr.php Here's one on Komatsu's knickenack boom: http://www.soermatp.com/catalogue-deport-komatsu/page1-en.html

  48. #48mebedave2011-09-01 07:47

    Laketree thanks for the info !!!

  49. #49goel2013-04-24 19:35

    Kaiser S2M Spider Mobile Excavator I had not had the chance to see one up close, but one of the local dealers has a used one for sale. Pretty cool, here are a few pictures. 2001 Kaiser S2M Spider Mobile Excavator with cab, 48" bucket, Rotary Brush Mower Head Perkins 91KW, 122 HP diesel engine. 3635 Hours Comparison photo at the end, its sitting beside a Cat 312C

  50. #50glenlunberg2013-07-31 23:26

    Wow! That looks great! I don't yet seen that kind of machine but I think it's really cool.

  51. #51245dlc2013-08-01 01:32

    Do you know what they were asking for the Kaiser? I've thought about getting one as kind of a niche machine I saw one on kijiji recently for sale in Banff but it was new in 1981. lol

  52. #52goel2013-08-01 11:08

    Hmmmm. Don't honestly remember. Checked the web site and looks like it has been sold. I need a part from them, let me see if I can find the sales guy and see if he remembers.

  53. #53goel2013-08-01 14:36

    Approximately 40 grand.

  54. #54goel2013-08-04 00:19

    Here's a utube video comparing one with a tank. http://youtu.be/AUC2CanBcLY Oh yea, its in German, but the video shows a lot.

  55. #55SkeletonCrew2014-08-15 15:23

    Hello all! I know this thread is ancient, but was wondering if Brian Hay or MXridernrth were still around and if they could point me in the direction to anyone with a Menzi or Kaiser for sale in Canada? I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and look forward to contributing in the future.

  56. #56mxridernrth2014-08-15 15:46

    I'm still around and still have the same machine.

  57. #57SkeletonCrew2014-08-15 17:24

    Right on, what attachments do you have for it?

  58. #58HATCHEQUIP2014-08-15 19:35

    heres one we have that has a hydraulic pole driving hammer attachment with the extenda hoe

  59. #59SkeletonCrew2014-08-15 20:59

    Hatchequip, that thing looks pretty awesome. Older, but still awesome. Do you guys run it or are you trying to sell it? Seems pretty powerful for just fence posts, what is it used for and how large of a pipe can it handle? Diameter and length? Could be good for pounding casing through overburden?

  60. #60HATCHEQUIP2014-08-15 22:00

    telephone dia. size posts like around marinas and such, mast on it is pretty tall I think it would do 20 footers but the foot would have to be off the ground some , were packing cylinders and replacing hoses on it now and it has a duetz engine

  61. #61trombeur2018-04-09 03:21

    Kaiser, Menzi Muck, Euromach , old kamo what do you think, what do you know? does anyone use them? in the Alps and in the dolomites used by farmers for environmental and landscape maintenance for containment works to combat settlements of the land to clear ground subsidence for landslides and drainage of canals and watercourses

  62. #62dk80192018-06-25 19:41

    Guys, sorry for resurrecting a very old thread, but I have a recently purchased 2001 Schaeff HS41M. It came from up north in Minnesota. Seems to work very well, but I have a rather odd issue in that one of the front drive wheels will pull but the other won't, in either direction. I can't seem to get a copy of the operating or service manual from Yanmar who owns them now, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks!

  63. #63lumberjack2018-06-25 20:01

    First thought for me is internal bypass in the rotary manifold.

  64. #64dk80192018-06-25 20:16

    Ok, I'll have to see if I can get a diagram on how the internal bypass might be setup. Is it something that can be switch on and off?

  65. #65lumberjack2018-06-25 21:49

    The rotary manifold is what gets the oil from the house that rotates to the carbody/undercarriage.

  66. #66dk80192018-06-26 00:01

    Does it seem odd that one wheel would have full power and one would not?

  67. #67dk80192019-03-01 09:22

    More or less sorted the issue. Oddly enough the tire pressure played a huge part. They were over inflated, resulting in poor ground contact. Dropped them down where they needed to be, and all sorted.

  68. #68treemuncher2019-12-12 11:32

    It's been 13 years since I first added a post to this thread. My old Menzi 5000 pissed me off when it drove the rivet in my ball cap deep into my skull....so I sold it. It did not have the power available to do what I wanted it to do anyways. It has not been missed. But the concept of the technology has never left my thoughts. I've been searching and considering a newer model for many years and I finally found what I have been looking for. A well equipped machine, nearly every factory option, but a significant number of hours. The hours don't concern me as much as the operator skills from those that did operate and maintain the machine. This machine came from within 75 miles of the factory so it's not like they are that uncommon to the mechanics or operators. ALL of the machines that I considered here in the US that I did inspect were ridden hard, put away wet and neglected of basic maintenance needs. So currently, I am waiting on shipping to deliver the A91F 4x4 that I purchased in Europe. It has a dedicated 45 gpm pump for attachments so it should be much more suitable for my business. I just hope it is in decent shape as I had to purchase it via pictures and not much else. It took me Google Translate to make the deal happen. It was a lot more work to import than I would have thought, but I got through it. I'm currently shopping for cutter heads and other attachments for the machine. It will have a significant amount of shop time as I run a fine tooth comb over it to find all of the flaws and get things in order prior to putting it to work. I should have it in my yard as an early Xmas present to myself. Then, the fun begins....

  69. #69trombeur2019-12-12 12:37

    they are very dangerous machines, you need an excellent skilled and experienced excavator, with cold blood and strong nerves to maneuver these special excavators, I'm sorry for your accident at work, I hope you attach new excavator photos, thank you for your testimony http://www.euromach.com/escavatore-tipo-ragno.php

  70. #70HATCHEQUIP2019-12-13 12:18

    Sounds great TM

  71. #71treemuncher2020-01-06 09:43

    A quick update: My machine arrived at the shop 2 days prior to Christmas. For 7200 hours on the clock, the machine shows virtually no wear at all. Even the side fiberglass panels have nothing more than a few chips/nicks and no holes or major cracks. Most all of the bushings are very tight and only those with broken grease lines have any concern at this time. The tires are worn, it did have a winch installed previously and the rock claws show limited use. Looking at the filters, my guess is that it ran a drill or hammer attachment most of the time. Digging should have made the machine much looser that it is. Seems to me like it was only used primarily as a tool carrier. It has been well cared for, evidently. The engine does not run at full rpm. I did find an emissions solvent container (Satacen 3) that was disconnected and it came with an old, extra exhaust filter. Maybe it is clogged or running on limp mode? The solvent container is now connected again. I'm still doing inspections to find all problems prior to putting it to work. The primary steering switch did not work but that has already been repaired at my shop - I now have 5 different steering modes. I have yet to test the engine again since fixing the emissions container and repairing a somewhat loose fan belt. The machine did blow a hydraulic hose while loading on the ship. That was repaired prior to offload at the Charleston port. Panolin Hyd Synth biodegradable hydraulic oil is nearly $300 per 5 gallon pail! Fortunately, I only needed 1 pail to bring it back up to full. So that little episode ran me a little over a grand. It is a technologically complex machine that is not cheap to repair. With any luck, the engine issue will be minor. If it is major, it will be pulled and rebuilt. A machine is such good condition has many thousands of hours left in it and will be worthy of major repairs. Also, from what I have seen on the machine, it is the 4x4+ Sensor model - top of the line for year of manufacture. I am well satisfied with the machine and what I currently have into it.

  72. #72Marahall McGuire2023-02-20 23:55

    Do you still have your machine

  73. #7370 eliminator2024-06-28 10:52

    i have a book that lists hs41m very little content but other machines are covered with same controls and motors.