Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SCORE! EZ Screen 1000

atgreene ยท 2009-05-14 20:46

Looks like I just scored an EZ-Screen 1000. I've been eyeing this machine for 6 years or so. The guy who has it "blew" the motor 5-6 years ago. I kept asking him about buying it, price kept getting lower. Today he agreed to sell it for less than I could buy a grizzly for, so I'm happy. Needs a starter for the motor. The Yanmar 10 hp diesel has compression, my mechanic says there is no reason why it shouldn't run other than some minor issues he sees. Needs the lower piano screen. The one has rusted so bad the wires let go. Needs one shaker spring. BTW, meter reads 383 hours. What's everyones experience with EZ Screen? Any common problems? This is an older version, had a trailer originally. My welder is already working up an axle and hitch, should be fairly simple. Emailed EZ Screen, all the parts are available, I'll order up what I need tomorrow. Anybody seen what these are going for on the open market? I'll get pics soon.

Replies32
  1. #1bear2009-05-15 04:10

    Sounds like a good find. I'm eagerly awating pics.

  2. #2atgreene2009-05-17 09:16

    Here's a few pics. I cleaned it up yesterday, good compression on the motor, changed the oil, un-bolted the screens. Waiting on a starter, deck spring and a piano wire screen. Just curious, I've always run piano wire for loam, how does the mesh screens work? Most of my loam is dry, I may get into some wet stuff later, but am curious.

  3. #3atgreene2009-05-25 22:43

    Got it running Fri. Started real hard. Took lots of cranking but it went. Ran it again Sat. and again, hard starting. Guessing low compression, smokes when running, had no air filter in the filter holder when I got it. I suspect former owner ran it w/o and air filter. Working on engine options now, the Yanmar seems to be complcated, expensive and hard to find someone to work on. May get a Honda or a cheap china diesel. Pics to follow.

  4. #4RocksnRoses2009-05-26 00:01

    Agtreene, we screen hundreds of tonnes of loam every year, through a 6mm mesh screen, but, we do it through the summer months when it is hot and dry. It is OK if the loam is slightly damp, but if it gets a bit wetter, it will blank the screen off and slide over the top. The screen produces a slightly better product than the piano wire, but if the loam is fairly damp, the piano wire is still the way to go, unless you intend using a larger screen, like 15 or 20mm. (1/2" - 3/4" very approximately). Rn'R.

  5. #5stumpjumper832009-05-26 08:58

    smoking a motor in 383 hours takes skill.... I wounder if it ever had a filter in it from factory.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2009-05-26 12:09

    Yep, especially a Yanmar diesel. From my experiences with them, one could wear out the energizer bunny.

  7. #7cretebusters2009-05-28 22:42

    Hello ATGREENE How well do these units work on gravel ? You don't really want it do you? I'll pay the freight to me.

  8. #8atgreene2009-06-02 09:49

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf542xQpgOI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okjDTgUitX4 I ordered a new motor on Ebay, Yanmar clone from china. Ordered it Wed. am, had it on my doorstep Fri pm. Runs sweet. Changed the oil after 1/2 hour of idling and had some metal stuff on the screen and in oil. Kind of expected it, quality control in China is lacking, but everything seems fine. I'll do a few more oil changes. So far I've done about 8 hours or so with it. Does a good job as long as the material isn't too wet. I'm going to see about a mesh screen to try instead of the piano wire. So far so good.

  9. #9ctkiteboarding2009-06-09 20:21

    love my 1000, picked it up about 5 yrs agao from guy getting out ,,solid little machine but it doesnt like wet so keep it covered and dry and make the $$$$$$

  10. #10DigDug2009-06-20 09:20

    I have had good luck screening using all the different size models. The Oliver stores sold them for a while or maybe still do. I have never seen any of the diesels last for any amount of time on the 1000's. My good friend has a 13hp Honda on his with no probs. Good Luck with it , sounds like you got a good deal. doug

  11. #11atgreene2009-06-20 09:31

    It is working good, if and when it ever stops raining I'll screen some more. At this point I've got about 10 hours on it. The piano wire 1/2" screen is clogging with roots, so my next move is to try a different type screen. The roots hang over the piano wire and bunch-up at the crossmembers. I've seen some screens made from expanded metal, so I may try that, just not sure on hole size.

  12. #12ctkiteboarding2009-06-20 16:49

    i used there square metal screen on the top and the 1/2 piano on the bottom the cross member really needs to be abit higher it clogs often if wet or you force feed it, i think the later ones do not have that problem, im in need of a new lower screen and would like to try something other then the wire but not sure what

  13. #13DigDug2009-06-20 23:40

    We have taken a garden rake once in a while to pull the roots from the cross members when it starts building up.

  14. #14TimberGhost2010-02-10 22:31

    I've been trying to get the EZ screen 1200XL at work for ever. I've seen videos and got all kinds of literature about it and I am truly impressed. It's the one with the extra conveyor belt for a 3rd product. WISH LIST!!!!!!!

  15. #15lake side bob2010-02-22 10:00

    On the EZ Screen 1000 did it come with a parts book? Do you know if there is an electronic parts book on the web somewhere and if yes what is the web address for the site?

  16. #16CT18fireman2010-03-29 12:56

    On a side note, that is a nice mesh box on your trailer. I have been wanting to make one of those for myself. Got any better pics and what your thought process was? Maybe start another thread unless I missed it.

  17. #17atgreene2010-03-29 16:50

    Lake side Bob, sorry I didn't see your post before now. EZ Screen is still in business, if you call them they're real good about talking you through any issues. I've ordered a few parts and they know exactly what I needed. The electrical parts are pretty straight-forward. I've removed them all now and have a manual throttle instead of the electric, but the components for the electric shut down and throttle are fairly easy to trace out. They all look like off the shelf components from Napa. The mesh boxes are set-up to hold chains and tools, crow bars etc.... The chains hook up top as well as binders etc.. Keeps them organized. I ran two pieces of steel into the fork holder then built off those. One 3/8 bolt hold the rack against the trailer, all the weight is on the fork holder. I can find some more pics.

  18. #18CT18fireman2010-04-01 20:08

    A couple more pics would be great. My skid trailer has fork pockets on each side (I have a set of forks for one). I think I can visualize what you did but a couple shots would be great.

  19. #19atgreene2010-04-18 09:24

    I didn't get your pics yet, sorry. As to the E-Z, lost the main bearings the other day. Looks like the main shaft has been rubbing on the crosspipe as the last owner beat down the top deck so bad that the cross tube and the screen supports are bowed down a couple inches. 2 bearings= $150.00 each New top screen= $400.00 The joy of working all day to get one bearing off.......priceless!:Banghead Ordered a new clutch, as that has some serious wear in the bearings. New top screen, new steel to replace the screen supports, pipe to replace the bent tube, new battery, new motor last year. This thing will be like new when I get done. I've run it 40 hours in the past year. Not a good cost to profit ratio thus far.

  20. #20CT18fireman2010-04-19 18:34

    No problem on the pics, way to busy to do anything now. From your posts you seem like someone who does a thorough job. As you said once you are done it will like knew. I learned long ago if you have to take 8 things apart to get to a bolt, you better replace that bolt when you can. My grandmother in FL had her timing belt done, I called the mechanic and told him while he was in there to replace the timing belt driven water pump. He didn't. Six months later it needed a water pump and he did it all over again with her just paying for the pump after my brother who is an attorney spoke to him.

  21. #21atgreene2010-04-26 14:26

    A few pics. New bearings are all in, new clutch, new cross supports, new shaft tube etc.. etc... Like new now. A couple questions for anyone who has tried different screens. I made a lower deck loam screen last year from expanded metal. The 1/2" holes worked great for loam, but it has cracked and began falling apart from the constant shaking. Obviously, expanded metal isn't really made for this. I bought a piano wire screen last summer, but it fills with roots very easily. Small hair roots fall onto the wires, drape over them and slide down the wire. Eventually enough get caught to cause the screen to be plugged. I have spoken with Esco(sp?) whom I have bought screens from before. They say a Z wire screen is the best way to deal with screens plugging. Anyone use a Z wire screen? Any suggestions for something better? Here's a link to the different screens. I hate to spend another $475.00 and find out it is a terrible match for screening loam. http://www.durexproducts.com/Products/WireClothScreenMedia/Dur-X-Live_Wire_WireCloth.asp

  22. #22atgreene2010-04-26 14:32

    I need to build one of these! I was uploading a vid of mine on youtube when I found this one, I'll be talking with my fabricator tomorrow. YouTube - Aggregate Screening Trommel I particullarly like the final minute showing the power plant.:notworthy And mine: YouTube - MVI_0799.avi

  23. #23atgreene2010-05-04 11:05

    Axle Install! Finally had time to get this done. My welder spent 5 or 6 hours Sunday into the evening getting an old axle under the screen for me. It was a royal PITA dragging this thing everywhere. Used an old mobile home axle for the rear, went full width to add stability as it is top heavy (ask me how I know ). Made it so that with it swings back to lower the unit. For now I'll use a machine to lift it, but eventually it will get a winch or ram, not sure which yet. I had a hitch from an old drag box that we farmed onto the front. Not pretty, but functional. Still have to register it and add lights, build some fenders and paint it, but it's a heck of a lot better. Next project: CONVEYOR! I've decided to build a conveyor under the screen and come out the back. Looked at how they build the new ones, looks fairly straightforward. Never built one, but a friend works at the local bearing shop and can get me anything I need. Pics to follow.

  24. #24atgreene2010-05-04 11:07

    More pics:

  25. #25CM19952010-05-08 16:02

    Well you can by that one - http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7129105

  26. #26atgreene2010-05-08 20:28

    I saw that. I think I'd rather build my own.

  27. #27m6302010-07-27 05:12

    made mine outa 3/4 expanded metal works real good its at a lot more of a slope

  28. #28mike s2011-05-30 02:06

    Very cool setup! Are you still running the same setup or have you made any changes?

  29. #29atgreene2011-06-08 20:58

    Still have it, used it yesterday. I bought a conveyor that I'm working on putting wheels and a hopper on so it can sit underneath. All the loam/gravel etc would then be sent out and i can screen with just the excavator, no loader. I had an issue with the fuel, so I swapped tanks. Looks like there was a bad filter in the tank. I need a larger fuel tank as the 1 gallon tank is too easy to run dry then have air in fuel line issues.

  30. #30mike s2012-02-05 19:54

    Any updates or pictures?

  31. #31ctkiteboarding2012-02-09 16:01

    did a small modification to my ez1000, i lowered the two smaller I beams that support the screen about 1" 1/4, this allows the material that is clumped up to drop under the cross member and not clog, the newer models ez have also opened this clearance , a chat with ez screen owner revealed that 1200 rpms is the sweet spot for the oscillator on the screen, anything over that pack the screen up, also anything under 1200 will struggle . the pulley that turns the oscillator has a small reflective tape on it for a photo tach and i should be pretty easy to confirm the rpm with the hand held photo tach, I ran some semi wet material today and it has made an improvement , going to get a photo tach and set the rpm to 1200 , hope it helps

  32. #32mike s2012-02-09 17:43

    Very good, keep us informed and I would love to see some more pics