Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scrap axles

cfherrman · 2024-02-17 12:59

I might be buying a set of tandems that are like my rig, it's on a old truck that will be cut up for scrap, trying to figure out a price how much would you get for a set at a scrap yard? I might get the twin steer front too

Replies16
  1. #1Junkyard2024-02-17 13:21

    Whatever they weigh if it’s headed for the torch anyway.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-02-17 13:31

    Pulled on the scale, by the lb, price is unprepared.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-02-17 14:10

    Yeah that's why I'd like to know how much a set weighs, so I can give him a fair price

  4. #4IceHole2024-02-17 14:26

    Here, id be happy if they didn't charge me to take them for scrap!

  5. #5Truck Shop2024-02-17 15:59

    Average weight front drive with axles, drums and brake hardware--For a SQ series 1,350, rear 1,225 lbs--- with suspension figure the whole mess at 4,000.

  6. #6crane operator2024-02-17 16:02

    Most used cut offs are around $2,000- 2,500.

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-02-17 16:07

    Depends on several things--model, suspension, ratio, and now days type of brakes, a useable wanted set goes for $3,500 and up out here. Old junk won't even bring scrap price. A set of SQHD's doesn't matter ratio, maybe-a big maybe $ 1,000 for both.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-02-17 16:19

    I sold old set of Rockwell's for $1000, and they could be made into a good set. This set might be able to be used and they look newer than mine, but they are still old. Hopefully they are close to the right ratio for a top speed in the 40's

  9. #91693TA2024-02-17 16:32

    I'd like to have a rear unimount hub and single piece drive axle for it. No need for anything else.

  10. #10IceHole2024-02-17 16:40

    I threw out a center section with power divider that had an oil filter on it? Anyone ever see that before? Was under a cover, looked like a regular spin on oil filter.

  11. #11Truck Shop2024-02-17 17:11

    SQ100 some had a pump, some didn't.

  12. #12cfherrman2024-02-17 17:15

    Yeah I've seen the oil filter before, some axles have a pump in them

  13. #131693TA2024-02-17 17:19

    Already addressed.

  14. #14cfherrman2024-02-17 17:22

    Here's a really bad screen shot of the rears If you notice, everything is junk

  15. #15Shimmy12024-02-17 18:04

    Wow, you weren't kidding they are old. Don't think those are worth a dollar more than whatever the scale says times 100 per ton.

  16. #16cfherrman2024-02-17 22:26

    I don't think they are as old as what's above them, which is from the 50's I think my axles are older