Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scrap solder

Ct Farmer ยท 2019-10-02 15:29

I have about 400 lbs of 50/50 lead/tin solder from a wave soldering machine that I want to scrap/sell and don't think my local guy is doing me any favors. I am seeing close to $4 a pound online and he is barely offering $3. Stuff is in 20lb ingots as molded from the machine. Am I getting taken for a ride or would you consider this a decent offer? What would you consider a good offer ? Northeast USA if you can suggest any place around here. Thanks for the input.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2019-10-02 16:57

    That doesn't sound too bad to me. You could get more from selling it to individuals, but that's a lot more work to retail it.

  2. #2Ct Farmer2019-10-04 10:49

    I found a guy 60 miles away that will pay more based on scan from his XRF. My local guy doesn't have an XRF so that is why I think his offer was low. Gotta cover his risk. Got a lot of copper and some e-scrap to sell so it is worth the trip.

  3. #3DMiller2020-10-30 07:51

    I sold all my Lead stock(five pound blocks FIL had stored forever) to a Fishing supplies guy. He makes Trot Line/Limb Line sinkers and cannot get quality material to make the replacements, eyes lit up for the OLD Lead.