anyone know how loose we can get away with on the chains? Mine are pretty well drooping on the bowl side....My flights have about 2" of grouser left on them but they look far from new....Don't get me wrong here, my setup is loading the bowl like it's supposed to but I'm looking for advice on signs of trouble before it's too late.... I called a scraper chain place and they said the entire setup of new chains, flights and sprockets would cost around $9,000.00 that's twice what I paid for the machine.... He also said that he's seen people remove as many as 2 feet of chain and get to running again.....sounds like a ton of chainto remove...removing maybe 2 links would definitely set mine straight....
I think I may can help you one your chains, I make it a point to bypass the dealer for parts for our JD scraper at work. They wanted 4000 for 2 chains. we broke a sprocket and they got use for 1400 there. I later called Ballantine and the price for 2 chains and sprockets was 2090 bucks delivered. Ballantine make ground engaging parts for boring machines and trenchers and bought out Atlanta Chain and roller. What brand machine is yours? There is supposed to be a little slack in the chains it usually has a decal showing this 2 to 4 inches. theres also usually and adjustment roller on the topside in the middle of the chain frame with this ans I think 3 positions on the 762 JD at work.
You Can Also Check With Southern Chain & Roller Co. They Handle Scraper Chains,sprockets, Rollers And Flights For Jd,cat And Alot Of The Other Makes And Models. It Is Aftermarket.
What machine? If you're out of adjustment and the chain rollers are still good you can take a half link out and keep on going. I run mine until the rollers start to fall apart. Flights can be rebuilt