what is the best 637 tire for rock? my fav seems to be the michelins, im running a 37g it was brand new from the factory, it came with michelins all the way around, we took the backs off, i cant believe the traction and durability they offer,but at close to 13,000 a piece when their gone their gone. if i could get pics from my ps3 to here i would share, shes got over 2000 hrs on her now
That's a good strategy, taking the rears off of s new scraper to save them for use as drivers on one that needs them. Put some 1/2 worn ones on the rear. I never put new tires on the rear, just the worst fronts go there to finish their life.
Depends on the kind of rock,but you cannot go wrong with Michelins.One of my former customers(former because I'm not in the tire biz anymore) was using their 651's to haul rock in a quarry(the junk brown sandstone like crap that's atop the good white limestone here in Missouri) and they could only get a little over 500 hours out of a set of Bridgestones.I myself still think that poor performance was partially because they were overloaded.I tried to tell them they needed the 40.5/75R39's like the 657's run,instead of the 37.5's.They had 37.25-35's on their 631's,instead of 33.25's.Same principal I'd say, but they didn't wanna listen.I put some of the same Bridgestones on one of their 627's,but they subsequently sold those machines,so I didn't get to track their performance.I'm just not as impressed with Bridgestones scraper tires as the rest of their line.Michelin all the way on a scraper,if you want to maximize your dollars,that is.Cost more up front,but cheaper per hour final tally,plus better machine performance and less downtime.Guaranteed.You get what you pay for.
My dad has been in the tyre business forever and as a youngster when he was running the Bridgestone earthmover tyre franchise down here he would always tell me "Michelin is the only manufacturer that can make a radial" Many years later i was a warranty fitter on a Leighton job building a 5.5 million BCM day, we had 12 631E on the job and back in 91 the XR series Michelin was all they would run in 37 and a 1/4 size. I remember gasping one day when after a freshly shot section of sandstone had the dust settle they cut a track up the side of it with a D10N and sent the 31,s in. I thought ok, here we go there gunna do some tyres now but after 18 months on that job you could count on 1 hand how many tyres they blew in there and i put that down to the Michelins, if those scrapers would have had rag tyres we would have been doing them ever since. Overall at the end of the job i reflected back on what my dad had said and had seen it with my own eyes. I look after a customer with 44 scrapers and Michelin is the only tyre they use.
I will add that the Michelins are as good as it gets. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to spend large sums on tires that don't last, buy Yokohama Y-67's. You probably can't find a worse tire unless you start talking about the Chinese or Russian ones. Running in shale rock a few years ago, we were only getting about 300 hours per tire, They wore really fast, and would blow out with anywhere from 35 to 50% tread left. That was not even the worst rock I have seen scrapers in, but it was the worst tire life I have ever seen. The problem was availability, we could not get anything else in our size at the time, so we were stuck with them.
I'll add Yokohama Y567 to that list. Total & utter sh1te ........
300 hours must have been killer, I have a set of them on the 623F, they get easy use though
For easy use, clean dirt or sand, they last OK, but still lots less than a good Michelin would. We were the tire mans best customer for a few months while that job was going on. 2 new tires about every 3 days or so. OUCH!
Hi maybe someone on here can help me out, I have a few 631 water pulls and am trying to track down at least one good clean 37.25-35 tire with no repairs for a spare. I'm located in Southern California. Thanks, Jerry 909-720-2138
Try American Independant, They have several tires. http://americanindependentinc.com/contact