Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scratch built toys

Iron Art · 2010-01-30 17:45

Heres a few scratch built, all steel toys. I built these in my shop and powder coated them when completed. Fred

Replies82
  1. #1Cat is ALL2010-01-30 17:47

    I'm impressed, it looks like you put a lot of effort into all of these. You do mostly all forestry equipment?

  2. #2Iron Art2010-01-30 17:52

    Lately I"ve been doing logging equiptment, but I started out doing Farm equiptment. I do whatever that I see that I like and that may not have a commerically built model available. Takes a lot of time. Fred

  3. #3lancef2010-01-30 19:02

    Very well done.

  4. #4Cat is ALL2010-01-30 19:11

    Do you sell them when your done? You definately have a knack for it.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2010-01-30 19:41

    If you hadn't said, I'd have thought that Case tractor was real

  6. #6TimHay2010-01-30 20:26

    Great work

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-02-07 04:16

    These things are incredible. I envy your skill and dedication. I also agree with Steve, I had to go back and look at the tractor to tell it wasnt real!

  8. #8gulalastbilen2010-02-07 05:59

    ironart, nice models, what´s the scale? Dan

  9. #9tripper_1742010-02-07 08:45

    Beautiful work. Can you put some of your farm tractors on here?

  10. #10dirtpusher92010-02-07 10:53

    Glad to see you and your magnificent art here Fred, Welcome.

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2010-02-07 20:59

    WOW!! I love it. The yarder is my favorite, but they are all nice.

  12. #12Iron Art2010-02-07 23:10

    Heres a picture that some may have seen at the Con-Ag show in Las Vegas. Its a concept idea and has operating drums for gravel mining. The other is a Case Steam tractor which I built from pictures, no demensions, just used the pictures and proportions. I use this method when there is no spec sheet available. Fred

  13. #13qball2010-02-08 18:27

    incredible!

  14. #14Speedpup2010-02-15 18:10

    Great talents hats off to ya!:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  15. #15jamesr9622010-02-15 18:13

    Nice work. Do you sell them? You should give it a go on e-bay! --- Get your heavy equipment at municibid.com http://www.municibid.com

  16. #16Iron Art2010-02-16 12:09

    James, Thought about E Bay but havn't used it. I did some looking around on that site and have not seen much scratch built equipment but I may not have searched properly to find it. I'm going to a Toy show next month and will display there. I have had a lot of interest in the logging equipment that I have but the economy is such that most all of us are sitting on our wallets or our wallets are empty. Thanks, Fred

  17. #17gatorguy2010-02-16 14:36

    Hey fred that is some amazing work. Would you be interested in making a model of a supertrak tl150 and selling it to me?

  18. #18Iron Art2010-02-17 13:03

    Gatorguy, I could build you a TL150 but it would be at least a year away due to other commitmants. By then there probably will be a decent Die Cast version available. Fred

  19. #19Greg2010-02-17 15:20

    unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!! You must have one terriffic shop to do that kind of work.

  20. #20SJModels2010-03-04 20:40

    Great job with your models, are they static? Are you going to the Con-Ag this year? I have been making static models of mining equipment for a couple of years. Looking for ways to sell them. Scott

  21. #21Iron Art2010-03-09 00:35

    Scott, No plans for the Con-Ag show. Post some pictures of your Mining eq. Fred

  22. #22SJModels2010-03-11 03:24

    Scrap built models, 14 scale

  23. #23SJModels2010-03-11 03:26
  24. #24Iron Art2010-03-11 12:41

    Scott, Nice work!!! Are you going to put a little color on them? I'm aways torn between just leaving them in the raw state or powder coating the finished model. Check out the Garden trucking forum site and check out the RC models the guys are building like yours with all functions operable. Great work! Fred

  25. #25SJModels2010-03-16 17:20

    Fred, I think I'm not going to paint them, I don't like painting. They take on a different look being raw. I have been a fan of Garden trucking, that would be a fun next level. I'll need more shop space, I like that idea! Are you working on anything new? Post some pictures. Scott

  26. #26Iron Art2010-03-16 18:54

    Scott, I agreee with your position on the paint, some models are better left unpainted. Next project isn't final as of yet, cound be a Hayes or pacific trk or a skidder such as seen on Swamp loggers. I do have a couple other projects that need some attention so it may be awhile before starting a new project. I did attend a Farm and Construction Toy show this past weekend, the Madill drew a lot of interest and reconition. Fred

  27. #27Buckethead2010-03-16 22:35

    Excellent craftsmanship!

  28. #28Speedpup2010-03-17 19:54

    Big difference from your hand made art and some diecast from China I would love a Lull telehandler made form you.

  29. #29tracksntreadslo2010-03-20 00:14

    Hi Fred ..Just recentley signed up here on HEF ...Will start a new thread as soon as i have enough posts under my belt ..been still tinkering away at my pacific and lowboy and hope to have some new pictures in the next few weeks ...let me know when and if you need pics of pacific and i will send you what i have...gla to help anytime ...BTW the yarder looks awsome ...looks as though you could turn key and start yarding ...cheers lou

  30. #30Iron Art2010-03-20 23:42

    Tracksntreadslou, Good to see you here, theres lots of good info on this site and lots of great pictures. Still putting the truck build on the back burner while I build some steel, old time tractor wheels. Also working on a Tigercat swamp logger project , probably end up looking like a Big Bud, oh well !! Currently doing some drawings to get everything scaled out. Fred

  31. #31Iron Art2010-03-21 14:03

    Check out Contract Loggers model collection on page 6 ot the Logging equipment thread in the Forestry section. Its amazing whats out there. Fred

  32. #32tracksntreadslo2010-03-25 02:35

    Fred ..Great choice ..gona be difficult to find rear tires for that skiddder if your thinking about building that tamdem...great show and always looking forward to the next episode...check with Jhaul at the garden and he be able to custom make them for you...Looking forward to your build ...Cheers Lou

  33. #33Iron Art2010-03-25 12:26

    Lou, I'm working on the 630D Tigercat which has the single rear axle. It would be a cool build to construct a 635D which has the duel rear axle setup. As you said the tires are a problem in that model (635D) but I have purchased tires (8) from Dakota that will work great for constructing the 630D in 1/16 scale. Been thinking about chains, probably need about a 100 feet to make a full set, maybe more. I am kinda getting the cart in front of the horse as I am still working on some drawings with a minimun amount of info that I have available. Also watching the Cat skidder build on the Garden. Fred

  34. #34Cat336DL2010-03-26 15:06

    realy nice what scale are they

  35. #35Iron Art2010-03-27 00:15

    The Madill on rubber is 1/20, the tank mount madill as well as the American shovel are 1/24. The tractors were built from pictures so the scale is kinda like winged it , they were built on proportions only. I don't know what scale Scott used on his models. Fred

  36. #36Iron Art2010-03-30 23:24

    Built this John Deere a couple of years ago but didn't like the wheels so I built new ones this week. Tractor is all steel. Fred

  37. #37SJModels2010-03-31 18:58

    Fred, I have purchased tires from hobby stores and cut them to the width I need, then glue them back together. I also have a link you may check out, I have not purchased anything from them. http://www.rc-machines.ch/index.php?navi_1=product&navi_product_1=all_products&navi_product_2=125 Scott

  38. #38Iron Art2010-03-31 22:42

    Cutting the tires is a clever solution to the problem for width, what do you use for the adheasive, some sort of rubber cement Boy that web site has the best selection of tires that I've seen. Fred

  39. #39SJModels2010-04-01 13:43

    The hobby store has the glue, its made for gluing the tire to the rim. I think it's just like superglue.

  40. #40Iron Art2010-05-06 13:35

    Started a new project, be a while before it finished but will work on it as time permits. This model will be a static, Tigercat 630D, all steel built as a swamp logger. Fred

  41. #41SJModels2010-05-06 14:41

    Looks like you found some nice tires. I just started a model of a Cat twenty-two. I'm going to cast the treads this weekend, (first time casting aluminum). Scott.

  42. #42Iron Art2010-05-07 12:07

    Scott, Casting is something that I aways wanted to learn to do, I'm anxious to see the results of your first attempt. Heres a pic of the Tigercat. Fred

  43. #43D5G2010-05-07 19:42

    awesome stuff!!!

  44. #44dhlogging2010-05-09 20:21

    Selling So you sell these items???

  45. #45Iron Art2010-05-11 12:24

    dhlogging, Not sure about Scotts toys but the ones that I build are not necessarily for sale, but then everthing I own, including my dog is for sale if the truth were known. My toy building is not a buisness but is a hobby, I like to build models that may not have a commerically built model available. Fred

  46. #46Iron Art2010-05-17 23:32

    Made a little progress on the Tigercat. 316 holes in the grill guard. Fred

  47. #47Yutong2010-05-18 04:07

    I can't believe it. Machines could be toys and they look so neat!

  48. #48cummins052010-06-01 06:12

    Do you use a mig or tig welder?

  49. #49Iron Art2010-06-01 12:39

    I use both Mig and Tig but mostly Tig. If the weld is in a area that will be out of sight then I will Mig it. Got the the side panels done, nearly 900 holes drilled. Also now working on the window frames. Fred

  50. #50cummins052010-06-01 13:59

    Im starting my first powerd replica build here soon im going to do a zx850 Any tips you wana give me. Im finding it really hard to figure out how many pumps and motors I will need for the size I wana build. Not alot of info to be found on it.

  51. #51Speedpup2010-06-01 17:44

    Cool I was looking for one in diecast but they don't make it Keep posting progress!

  52. #52Iron Art2010-06-01 18:55

    Theres a lot of info around on RC constuction equiptment. There are a couple of guys that visit this site who have scratch built various pcs. of equiptment and they may respond to your build with some info. If you don't get the info you need I would visit the Garden trucking site under construction equiptment, some real RC craftsman there. Fred

  53. #53Iron Art2010-06-18 13:41

    Heres a bit of a update on thr Tigercat. Fred

  54. #54Iron Art2010-07-11 20:54

    Update on the Tigercat, most of the fab. completed now its time to add the details. Fred

  55. #55Speedpup2010-07-16 21:15

    Great I love those machines when I see them working on TV!

  56. #56Jdigger41302010-08-12 21:41

    WOW! Those madills are great!!!! I am making a dio in 25th scale and was wondering if you can make an ol 071 Madill or something to that effect. Please contact me if yer interested in connecting. I do not have the skill to make one myself or the knowledge of the details. I do PAY U S Dollars though. I can be reached at [email protected] . I really hope to hear from ya and find out what it takes to get one down to california. Justin

  57. #57Iron Art2010-08-13 00:43

    This Yarder is 1/24, The spar is a little short, gravel digger. It dosn't have the detail that the 046 on wheels nor do the tracks turn, but its orange!! Fred

  58. #58Jdigger41302010-08-13 00:53

    Copy Fred. I LALOOOVE the big 046 I can hear the thing screamin in my mind. I am very into them and wonder what it will cost to get one home. I wanna make a dio of a loggin/truck shop like one down the road from me in Crescent City Ca where I grew up in the eighties. Guys had big Skagits on rubber and lotsa 071s . Being metal I imagine its not cheap but I will tell ya I paid a grand for a Cedar Rapids pitmaster to have a pit or mothballed in a bone yard and have A guy making A Cozad 2x2x2 as I write. So if ya wanna throw me A number at [email protected] or just share photos I would really like to get to know ya. Yer a real craftsman and artist. Justin N

  59. #59Iron Art2010-08-13 15:06

    Tigercat update Heres an update on the TC, roundbar ordered to turn out 8 wheels and finish axles, build grapples, powder coat, and make decals, almost done. Fred

  60. #60Iron Art2010-08-13 23:31

    Heres a picture of the Tigercat, Fred

  61. #61Jdigger41302010-08-14 01:50

    That is some fine work there. Do you CNC that stuff? I was gonna buy a carve wright from Craftsman for workin w polystyrene but after further research found I would be better off sending my ideas to the pros. I wanna make trailers and truck gear for 1/25th scale model trucks

  62. #62Jdigger41302010-08-14 23:11

    Hey fred, do you go to the Brooks show? I am planning on getting up there this year and would be great to meet up and talk old trucks and stuff. My friends from Myrtle Point are saying that A KW fan like me HAS to see this show. I was at the ATHS show in Pleasanton this year and had a blast. But I bet you guys have a ton o loggin stuff at this event

  63. #63dirtpusher92010-08-15 00:36

    Another great peice Fred, thanks for sharing

  64. #64Iron Art2010-08-15 12:49

    Jdigger4130, If you are going to the Brooks Truck show(last Sat of Aug.) let me know for sure, I have plans to attend another antique tractor show but could change those plans to Sunday and meet you at Brooks. Dirtpusher9, Thanks for taking the time to having a look at the Tigercat. I checked out your shop yesterday, nice to see the place where your Cat was born. Fred

  65. #65Jdigger41302010-08-15 19:30

    Great! i will fer sure. Is this tractor show you speak of like a steam up? Ag ? or all kinds of things. I am very interested in this as well. If I am up there why cant I do both? I am not afraid of windshield time at all.

  66. #66Iron Art2010-08-26 18:37

    Tigercat completed Heres the completed Tigercat, scratch built from steel except the wheels and powder coated. Fred

  67. #67Jdigger41302010-08-26 19:25

    WOW Fred!!!!! That thing is neat. I would call TigerCat and show them. I bet the mngmt would flip seeing that. Great attn to detail. You should be VERY proud of yourself. GREAT WORK. Jdigger

  68. #68MOUNTAIN MAN2010-08-28 15:23

    Wow cool stuff!!

  69. #69Autocar2010-09-05 12:05

    Incredible work !:usa

  70. #70Tiny2010-09-05 13:57

    If you hadn't seen the 1st one ,I bet you could not tell which was which...only one is real .

  71. #71heavylift2010-09-08 01:18

    I think if it was weathered and had some branches in the claws .. It would look like the real deal even more Nice model

  72. #72Iron Art2010-09-08 12:34

    heavylift, I was thinging about stiring up a mud pit and burying it up to the hood to take some pics, thinks for having a look. Fred

  73. #73Iron Art2010-09-08 23:31

    Jeeezz, sure wish I could fix the spelling in the previous post, Fred

  74. #74Iron Art2011-08-03 13:07

    Here's the finished JD tractor that is similar to a "C" model. Fred

  75. #75Iron Art2012-05-17 12:40

    Been a little slow in the scratch built model building but did finish the 1910 Big Four and plow. Fred

  76. #76JDOFMEMI2012-05-17 12:44

    It is looking good from this angle. Nice build Iron Art.

  77. #77Jdigger41302012-05-17 20:34

    your stuff is always amazon. looking forward to more log gin stuff

  78. #78Iron Art2013-04-10 12:39

    Here's a little update on this old model,new spar, new side access doors on the winch and several other small add-ons. Also did a little touch up on the Power coating. Fred

  79. #79modelmarknz2013-04-25 00:55

    Awesome work !!!

  80. #80RCP572013-04-27 08:52

    Very nice job Fred! What scale is it?

  81. #81glenlunberg2013-06-17 02:03

    Very nice toy! Especially the second to the last photo.

  82. #82christinecambel2013-07-01 09:29

    These are sweet