Anyone heard from or know what happened to our old mate Scrub? Seems a bit strange without his thoughts and wisdom being posted on here. D'you think if we mention slot dozing or chaining trees he'll come out of hiding?
If you go way down the forum list, you'll see "geek patrol" I think it's called, Scrub Puller put a post on there a couple of weeks ago saying he's had enough of problems using the site recently and won't be doing so much here. Wish that someone could sort out the difficulties he's been having as he has been a great presence of HEF, I've always enjoyed reading his posts.
I still do not understand why his access got so hosed up, mine has been awesome, may have been his provider?
Yes, mine is good too, but I'm using a phone. Perhaps Scrub has an older PC, needs a techno dude to drop round there and take a look...
I dont know him good enough to say this is his reason, but it may just be his polite way of saying he had enough of the BS arguing between members...
Quite likely swayed the balance, but being a straight talking Ozzie bloke I don't think he would be that polite if that was his main reason! He's been having problems with the site since the changes took place.
maybe one of the tech guys on this site could use team viewer and sort out scrubs problem with access mark
Seems to me that Scrub mentioned a while back that he was on some sort of a dial up still and was having issues at times. Maybe he took the "kite" and the missus and went for a long holiday. Seems he mentioned traveling but I could be getting confused with someone else.
Agree old - iron . Scrub is probably fishing or writing a book .
I hardly come here anymore since the site "upgrade" either.
yair xxxx
I must have joined after this update you all speak of. Have never had an issue with this site so far.
Yeah 92U , I don't have any problems after the site up grade . Scrub had some cancer issues couple years ago . Hope that is not the case and He's just off fishing somewhere & taking it easy.
I've found the site to be easier to deal with myself since the upgrade but I have noticed an absence of several old walking talking manuals and experienced hands here lately. I know some have passed but many I've conversed with sadly have disappeared from the site. I hope this great site doesn't slowly die as ytmag and some other farm forums have done.
I seems to me the issue that bugged Scrub the most was when he would post to a thread, it would not update his "new posts" listing. I was experiencing the same thing. I figured out since then that after you post your reply, hit the new post link and on the top right hand side of the page, there is a link "recent posts". you click this and then i shows the thread that you had just replied on. Not sure if this is same issue he was having, but knowing this has made my HEF experience much more enjoyable (not that I didn't enjoy it before, just made it better).
I have that issue once in a while but only if I reply to a thread I previously replied to without viewing all the replies since my first reply (does that make any sense?) If I view them all I get notifications.
Yeah kinda makes sense. I guess I hadn't noticed this.
I have noticed that a thread I replied to does not show up in the "new posts" unless someone else replies after that.
It doesn't keep me informed quite like the old format did. A few minor changes in my daily habit of checking and I've more or less eliminated the gaps in info. I do understand where his frustrations were coming from. I sure hope he's back at some point showing off his catch and peddling his book! Haha
Those folks have disappeared for a reason. I used to enjoy reading their posts. That changed after the upgrade. It may just be me but my eyes cannot deal with the color scheme of the new site so I don't visit much anymore. Now that others are doing the same thing (for their own reasons), there's nearly no reason to visit here anymore. Some day the problem is going to take care of itself. Sad, but that's what seems to happen when the folks in charge forget where they've been and don't know where they're going.
Scroll down the page and on the bottom left, very last line, it'll say "Flat Awesome" or "Flat Awesome Dark". If it says ...Dark, go to Preferences in your profile settings and change the style to Flat Awesome and it looks just like before the change.
When all the changes came about it was explained that technology had rendered the old format obsolete and it would no longer function. It was a change of necessity not so much of messing with something that wasn't broke to start with. I agree that there have been unintended consequences. Such is life I suppose.
Almost every forum I have dealt with over the years updated for software improvements or compatibility to new operation programs. Cannot remain the same as that would just stop working.
With all the problems we deal with in our line of work, the problems of the upgrade seem minor. I got tired of hearing everyone rant at Steve Frazier and the moderators for changing the site when it was apparently necessary (see MANY spammers anymore??!). WE haven't put a DIME of OUR money into this site but freely get to enjoy the comraderie in our line of work, wealth of information shared, fun and crazy stories from those that have been there done that, awesome pics, and maybe even solve some daunting problems from those willing to share their knowledge and experience. I give what I can when it is useful. This site has been invaluable to me and if changes need to be made then so be it, I can deal. When I'm asked to pay membership dues and the site doesn't work, then I'll complain to management. Where else can we go for what this site has to offer? Say what you want to my reply, but I still say thanks to Steve and the crew for building us (yellow iron fanatics) a place to come learn AND share! That being said, I wish scrubpuller, D6Merv, and several other old salts well and hope they return someday. I'll forever be a newbie compared to them!
Yes. All good points, but the folks Thanks. The "Dark" background is easy on my eyes.
X 2
Same here, did not know it existed.
Yes I miss Scrub's post's and as I am nearly the same vintage as him and have done most of the same kind work as him all be it on a much smaller scale nowhere near as experienced as him,I do know what a scrubpulling plant was all about I do hope it is only something as simple as his computer has a problem or he has just hooked up a caravan etc and headed off around Oz or some such thing.
your 100% correct, but human nature at least with the older crowd is, we hate change..lol..every time windows comes out with a new version, I try to hold on to the one I actually have an idea how to navigate through it, even though the new version may be better, its just a hassle of learning the new layout and to function with it.. as its usually a few to many months learning curve... if the powers to be could make a sticky thread on the changes and how to use them for the web sight would be a great help rather than trying to figure it out on our own, I can feel the frustration sometimes after using a sight one way for years then having to learn all over how it works with the upgrades..but as said above its free..so we can grumble a little at the changes,