Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Seal kit for 4 in 1 bucket-which one?

Doug580l ยท 2020-03-01 18:16

I have a case 1840 with a 4 in 1 bucket with a leaky cylinder. I've never replaced seals on a cylinder before and can't figure out how to determine what kit I need. No name brand on the bucket that I can see. The only markings on the cylinder are "MPH 3796 3006-1". I tried google and didn't get anything. The rod is 1.5". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler d4c2020-03-01 19:11

    Take the cylinder apart and find your local hydraulic place they can get you seals

  2. #2Doug580l2020-03-01 23:32

    I was hoping that there was a way I could just order a kit online. Unfortunately "local" for me is about 60 miles away. What do I need to bring to the hydraulic place, just the old seals?

  3. #3Delmer2020-03-02 00:52

    Remove the rod with the gland and piston from the cylinder, the cylinder can stay on the machine or not, depending on what's easiest. remove the piston and gland and bring them to the shop, or order the seals online, piece by piece probably. Hercules is one place. Check the rod for scratches and straightness.

  4. #4Doug580l2020-03-02 19:42

    Thanks, I'll probably try the ordering online the piece by piece way, assuming I can figure out the right ones to order.

  5. #5tractormech2020-03-02 23:25

    I would order two kits-if one is old and leaking the other one usually isn't far off from going out on you. just do both. when you take the other one apart you will probably find the seals in bad shape. Just what I've found after doing this for many years. Good luck with it.

  6. #6Doug580l2020-03-03 19:33

    Good Idea, thanks. I should probably get 3 kits in case I screw one up.

  7. #7tractormech2020-03-03 19:38

    There's always that chance lol.

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-03-03 19:45

    I'd be more inclined to go to a shop to make sure you get the right seals.