Is that a Canadian thing? Got a new water pump. Belt driven with an oil filled bearing housing for the impeller shaft. The spec is for the bearings to run in VS46 hydraulic fluid. There is an additional shipping tag that says that seal quench fluid must be used before starting the pump. The bearing housing for impeller shaft would have a seal at both ends of it - pulley end, and the pump end. And a 3rd seal in the actual pump housing. I suppose seal quench fluid is the oil for the bearings. But why the weird terminology? For the record, the pump did ship from our northern neighbor.
I would think "seal quench fluid" would be whatever is to be pumped through the pump? Sounds like an Asian translation. Ever try to understand a Korean or Japanese service manual?
Good recipe for wrecking your brain!!!
My 1st thought also. I googled it that day, and there are devices/systems for such a purpose. But where rather vague as related to our specific pump. https://www.turbomachinerymag.com/how-to-design-and-monitor-quench-systems-for-seals/
What is the intended purpose for your pump? Plain water? The gist of the seal quench link is that is for hot liquid use, IE steam condensate, etc.
I meant reading Asian manuals!!!
Hot water/slag slurry. Maybe 170f. We use the water to carry away slag from our cupola. The pump is rated for 2"+ solids, but typically only sees 1/4 - 1/2" You may be familiar, but there is a mechanical seal in the pump housing, a short section of shaft open to atmosphere, and then the bearing housing/transmission - whatever you want to call it. Which has a seal on each end. It just came in Friday, and I didn't look over the parts book yet, but I assume the bearing housing just has lip seals.
I call it Jinglish. There are words in some of the older Kobelco manuals that don't appear anywhere else.
I get it now, there should be a fitting above and below the seal area on the pump to allow the seal to be flushed with a small flow of cooling/cleaning water.
Yeah, exactly. I recall a Hyundai loader manual that referred to a "suicide spring" in the fuel pump. Huh? I never did figure that one out.
I sure hope not. The strange thing about jinglish is that this tag was neatly hand written.
But Koreans had it right when they called excavator bypass switch - “prolix” switch! I had to look up what “prolix” means! That’s about how that excavator will work when you switch it ON!
Lol
Bingo! We found the fitting for the fresh water connection. Thanks