Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sealing up the belly of a D series Cat

Skidoojunky · 2020-04-12 18:52

Just bought a new 257D and am curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to sealing up the underbelly of that thing? I a, going to use expandable foam in the pocket where the hyd hoses enter the belly but I am curious if anyone has any tricks to sealing up the cab to chassis area? Adhesive foam tape? One of my pet peeves on my old 277C was cleaning out all of the mud, dirt and grime from under the cab all of the time.

Replies9
  1. #1heymccall2020-04-12 19:17

    I can assure you that no matter how well you seal it up, it will still fill up. I've found that ensuring that all bolts are antisiezed and the bottom covers are removed at least once a year works best.

  2. #2Skidoojunky2020-04-12 20:18

    Thanks for the reply hey McCall. I’m always trying to build a better mousetrap. I’m also majorly anal about my stuff. I hate how the paint gets scuffed on the boom from debris and boots getting drug on the painted surface getting into the cab so installed 3m gator grip on the areas that always get scratched up.

  3. #3Skidoojunky2020-04-12 20:22

    Also has anyone ever come up with an engine oil filter relocation kit? I’m also on the fence as to whether or not to add ride control to it. Has anyone ever added it to a skid before? Just curious what all is involved. I have it on all of my Cat wheel loaders and it’s awesome.

  4. #4heymccall2020-04-13 00:20

    Pretty sure that my 262D3 has ride control.

  5. #592U 34062020-04-13 11:35

    Should be a factory arrangment for ride control. I haven't seen a CAT skid steer without it yet. Probably gonna cost a few bucks because you'd likely need the ride control valve/accumulator, some hoses, possibly some wiring and piping. Then you'd have to have ride control enabled in the machine controller with CAT ET.

  6. #6Nige2020-04-13 12:01

    It's an option. The applicable Group Part Number for your particular 257D will depend on the machine Serial Number.

  7. #7heymccall2020-04-13 17:50

    I don't see ride control in the upfit options. I do see gears and seals, though. Cat doc # AEXQ2858 In here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1WkHSuYHMY88_slXukwlOd

  8. #8Nige2020-04-13 18:26

    From AEHQ7015 - 2016 EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize you were looking at retrofit options. Not sure how messy the retrofit would be, certainly pricey though. Second the comments about how you'll never stop mud, etc, getting in no matter how hard you try and also agree that making disassembly for cleaning as easy as possible might be a more realistic target.

  9. #9Welder Dave2020-04-13 20:02

    Sealing it all up so no dirt can get in might cause other problems too. If a hose developed a leak and wasn't noticed because it was contained in the belly pan, components could be damaged before you noticed. Water needs to drain also and it does get in there.