Hello So that i am not allowed to start up a new thread I thoght this would be the right thread to place my question. I am searching for infos on the Excavators built by Komatsu Bucyrus, i know that there was an 15ht and a model that was named 20ht. But did they built bigger machines as well, just like machines based on the 30h or 40h track hoes from Bucyrus Erie? I want to scratchbuild an 1:87 excavator of about 30 or 35tons, and so that i am a Komatsu fan, a Komatsu Bucyrus would be an Interesting project for me. Greets from Austria! Andy
Andy, I moved your post here, to its own thread. Once you have three posts, you'll be able to start threads of your own. And, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums! :drinkup
Komatsu Bucyrus, Well they say you learn something new every day, and 'Komatsu Bucyrus,' is a new one on me. :beatsme
That's why I just cut and the title from the text of Andy's post. I've never heard of those two names in combination. (But I know there's plenty I don't know.)
Have you seen the Bucyrus-Erie history book "One-Hundred Booming Years: A History of the Bucyrus-erie Company" by George Anderson? K-B is mentioned several times and there are pics of 22KB's and 20HT's but i don't recall seeing anything above that.
Yes there was a Komatsu- bucyrus excavator. Here is the 1:43 version of the 20-HT
Ok, Now I can scratch Komatsu-Bucyrus off the list of things I don't know. Rob can too....
Komatsu-Bucyrus Erie The Book " 100 Booming Years " A History of Bucyrus-Erie Company 1880-1980, gives a brief mention about Komatsu-BE, and picture of a Japan BE-20H , with Right Hand Cab. on pages 206-207. 1971 time frame. " In Japan, Komatsu-Bucyrus K.K. enjoyed another record year with net shipments 73% higher than in 1971. Continued developement and expansion of the Komatsu-Bucyrus line was under way. " That is all I could find about it in the book.
Thank you for the answers Good Morning Yes as far as i know the Bucyrus Maschines were built under licence by Komatsu, the first machines were built unchanged even the colours were the same, with the Black-Green Boom, the Yello Upperworks with red edges. This were the first Komatsu Excavators ever. But I haven't found Informations about bigger machines yet. The 20th might be around 20-25 Metric Tons I think. And I would like to see a machine aboaut 30 to 35 metric tons, but I am not sure, if these class machines were built under Komatsu Bucyrus label? Greets from rainy Austria!
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Austrian! :drinkup
Here is a right hand cab BE from the 70's (don't know if it was BE/Komatsu, can't remember) converted to a log loader, they attached the 2nd boom and the healing rack to the excavator main boom, as you can see from the size of the log it was loading (those are 60" grapples) they were a horse!!
Hello @Countryboy thanks! @ Big Iron Wow that are huge trees, we us Logloaders based on O&K RH5/MH5 Machines for example People say that american equipment does consum a lot of fuel, so i think this excavator does also drink 50 to 60 Litres an hour? Greets from Europe!
Bucyrus-Erie entered into a License agreement with Komatsu in the late 60's to develop the Komatsu Excavator. This was the normal route for most Japanese manufacturers, example Jumbo for Mitsubishi, which later became Cat, Poclain for Yutani heavy industies, which became Kobelco, and more. Komatsu was to build them ONLY for the Asian market under this license. Bucyrus finally designed for them, the more modern 20 ton unit based upon the US 100 series, but not produced here. Bucyrus did not sell the KB machines in the US. Komatsu sued BE for restraint of international trade as they could not sell in the US and won the suite in the late 70's. This and other factors spelled the end of BE in construction. The above machine is the 40 H or 65HL Logger specially designed for the logging industry and around 140,000# in that configuration.
The only thing I can really add to this thread is there was also a 15-H hydraulic excavator model. Also a crawler crane/dragline 22.B - which is pretty much a copy of the Bucyrus Erie-built 22B machine. Brochures on K-B machines seem to be rare & thus expensive!
Gavin, As you are from the "Old Country" don't forget the RB machines. Rustin Bucyrus and the 150 RH and the B machines that were ID'd by RB logo.
Hello Komatsu Bucyrus hydro Excavators several variations Old version color yellow/black 15H 20H There is no reliance.It could not sell. bulldozer track changed version is **HT T=bulldozer track Efficiency improvement,It could sell well. color Yellow/green 10HT 12HT 15HT 20HT 15H color yellow/black http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/pdf/15h.pdf 12HT-2,color yellow/green http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/pdf/12ht.pdf Komatsu Bucyrus hydro Excavators photo. http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/kb.html Thank you
Heres an RB Logo for You Not what your talking about but anyway. Here's an RB Logo for You.
Nice pic Roddy! Looks like a Priestman.
My Old Priestman It is. It's a later model one built by RB Industries. I don't have enough stuff to work on so I bought another project. I have wanted one for a while and finally got my chance. Its unreal how well built these things are. A few minor issues and i'll be ready to go. An old Priestman Mechanic would be like a Gold Mine right now.
Wow, that's some really good brochures posted by Komatsu Bucyrus. I did not know that Bucyrus was the developer of the Komatsu excavator. I was looking at the brochure of the 15H that K-B posted and if that ain't a B-E crane track pad then I've never seen one! I don't know much about the older hydro excavators and I was wondering about the control levers. The brochure of the 15H has a pic of two levers for working two of the excavator functions, and the handles of the two levers allowed a "twist of the wrist" to activate the other two excavator functions. Was this common among older hydro ex's, or was it unique to the K B design? I wonder why B-E didn't use their joystick controls, like on the 30B crane, to control the excavator functions on the K B? :beatsme