Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Seat for a 580CK

s1120 ยท 2010-04-17 07:39

Just getting a 580CK, and the seat is all broken apart. Cover is gone, and the foam is breaking up. Is there a place to get replacement seat covers/padding, or does it use a standerd mounting, so I can replace it with a replacement seat? It is a swivel seat for the backhoe. Thanks.

Replies11
  1. #1wrecd2010-04-17 07:47

    i dont know if this is exactly what your looking for, but this guy on youtube has a pretty good tutorial on how to replace cover and padding on a tractor seat. YouTube - How to Repair your tractor seat DIY

  2. #2s11202010-04-17 07:59

    Good vid. I may try that. Thanks

  3. #3diggerdave19582010-04-17 10:46

    The Last time i had to replace the seat on my backhoe i went to Tractor supply and for under $100 i got a pretty good seat, my old seat was too rusted out to try and save and the TSC seat mounted right up to my 580SE. Take your old seat with u and try to match them up with the new seat bolt holes that is

  4. #4Phil2010-04-17 11:10

    I get replacement seats at TSC also. They average $100, and most are all moulded now, with lots of bolt holes. They can even be adapted to the K model. Phil

  5. #5s11202010-04-18 07:32

    OK, thanks for the tip! Now another Q about the seat... The seat turns to work the hoe, but is WAYYY too low. I dont see a height adjustment on it anywere. Is that normal?

  6. #6diggerdave19582010-04-18 08:37

    Umm, thats a good question could u post some pics of the tower, that would help a alot for us to see what u have there ????

  7. #7rasman572010-04-22 00:25

    That 580 should have a single round tower with a small knob near the base..... press down on the knob while you are not sitting in the seat. spin it around or flip it if it flips (use your foot) and pull up on the seat at the same time ....it should lock in the Up position for the backhoe operation.

  8. #8Phil2010-04-22 06:17

    Welcome Rasman57:drinkup, Yes Rasman is right. There is a mechanism halfway down the seat 'pedestal', with a sliding pin. The lever, when pushed down, will pull the pin out, allowing the seat 'post' to slide up and down, so another height can be selected or the seat rotated. There is a large, long spring in the 'tube' which helps the seat assembly slide up for the backhoe 'setting'. This type of seat height mechanism is known for problems, it gets worn and seldom works as it should on most older 580's. I have attempted to fix a few of them and it's hard to get them working good again.Phil

  9. #9s11202010-04-22 10:18

    Thnks guys. I had a chance to dig into it, and I think Phil is right on the money. The seat pulled up, and all the guts were gone, and they had put a peice of pipe in there to hold the seat!!! Im thinking I might get a longer peice of pipe, drill some holes in it, and ise hitchpins to adjust the height. Once agean.. thank you all for your help!!!!

  10. #10rasman572010-04-22 10:31

    Phil, you sure are right about them not working so good. I have an old 1969 580CK with the original seat and last week while working the backhoe on a stump, I bounced a bit and the seat let go dropping me straight down a couple feet in a hurry! Scared the heck out of me and made the wife laugh hard. I found this site while looking for some info on the old 580 and enjoy reading the forum posts. appreciate the welcome I been watching s1120's posts as his "new" 580 is like mine.

  11. #11s11202010-04-22 10:36

    Welcome rasman!! Im realy starting to like this tractor. Realy a heck of a machine!!!