Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Seatbelt-Acceptible Repair?

xcavator120 ยท 2010-06-27 07:05

You get into a piece of machinery, fasten the seatbelt, and start working. While operating the machine, you notice that belt comes unfastened a couple of times. Then you discover the reason why... The latch mechanism had broke, splitting the plastic housing, so some rocket-scientist decided that it could be repaired with duct tape. This was in an older Moxy MT30, and I discovered the duct tape repair after being thrown against the right-side of the cab, when it lurched violent to the left. The supervisor was immediately notified, and did contact the mechanic to repair/replace it. However I was to continue operating. I ran the machine that day, and then half the next before the belt was replaced. When the mechanic arrived he stated that he heard there was a problem with the seatbelt. I took him to the truck, pointed up to the mechanism, and asked do you see a problem? Until I pointed out the duct tape holding the mechanism together, he couldn't. I know, now look at the photos, it is real hard to see, even when you point it out.. Now I'm in a Terex, and guess what, the seatbelt mechanism is splitting in it too. I wonder how long before this one gets repaired with duct tape. Oh when I notified my supervisor, he made me feel like it was bothering, to request that it be replaced. I also emailed the company, complete with those photos, expressing my disgust in the repair job. So far not a reply, we're going to look into it, nothing. They preach safety this, safety that, but that is as far as it goes, just preaching..

Replies7
  1. #1Tiny2010-06-27 10:10

    Last I had track you can not repair a seat belt,Its replacement only. The safety guy here would freak if you run a machine with a belt like that. I robbed the seat belt off the passenger seat because of a problem and a new belt was a week out and the mechanic's "Tagged out" my passenger seat

  2. #2dumptrucker2010-06-27 10:38

    MSHA better not see that. That is their big "thing" this year, seatbelts. Did you know that seat belts have an expiration date? I didn't. That is what they are looking for. If they saw a seat belt like the one above they would have a field day.

  3. #3TimHay2010-06-27 10:39

    If you have safety meetings bring it up then that way it is documented and the machine should be tagged out. It is your responce ability as an employee to say you feel the work is unsafe if there is an accident and there is no documention you are to blame as much as the company. Keep a day timer and write everything in it at the end of the day and your butt will be covered. Work Safe Guys

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2010-06-27 13:31

    That is no good. As said above, seat belts can't be repaired, only replaced. Per MSHA they must be replaced when worn, frayed, cracked, or over 5 yrs old, even if they look fine. I knew a guy who, after being trained not to, ran his truck anyway with a bad belt. Never told the foreman. He then rolled the truck and bounced around inside the cab, but was fortunately OK, only minor injuries, but it could have been much worse. You are right to refuse to operate unsafe equipment untill it is properly repaired. By the way, I try to keep spare seat belts on hand at all times, just for this reason.

  5. #5Dozerboy2010-06-27 18:08

    Just duct tape yourself to the seat. Must be our old mechanic and hes learning he "fixed" my seat belt with tie wire.

  6. #6xcavator1202010-06-27 21:57

    This company only throws "safety" at you when something goes wrong. They try to put the blame on the operator. They ignore, or try their best to, complaints or issues concerning safety. Here's a good example, my same supervisor, was operating a trackhoe, loading into a couple of tandem-axle straight dumps. He was having me check grade using a mobile GPS. He asked me to check a spot while he was dumping into the truck. He looked down at me while he started to swing. One of the bucket teeth caught the right-rear corner of the dump bed. It lifted the left side up, I'd guess 88 degs, I knew it was going over. Then the truck bounced violently, which injured the driver. His only comment was, "wake you up"? Even before this I was somewhat nervous about checking grade for him, as he was operating the hoe so recklessly, nothing smooth about it. I had to dodge the bucket a couple of times. I'm seriously trying to find another place to work. This place is just plain unsafe. I know the type of work can and is dangerous at times, but that's different than unsafe.

  7. #7Grader4me2010-06-28 20:25

    :yup..sounds like your working in a very dangerous situation..time to move on..before you get hurt..