So I've finally got my new yard fenced with a remote gate opener , power ran and finally internet so I can hook up some fancy security cameras. Question - what are ya'll using for security cameras? Wired or WIFI? I would prefer WIFI cameras since the yard is 3/4 acre fenced and don't want to run several 100 feet of conduit. However if wired is superior then so be it. Looking at a minimum of 4 cameras. There is a 40 conex box with power to it where the router is located, any hardware for the cameras will go in there. Budget is $1k or less - that's a rock hard budget, just something to aim at. I know nothing about these cameras so any advice would be appreciated.
I've been running a couple sets of the ~250 dollar import 4 camera dvr systems and they seem to do a decent job... they are wired which I prefer but in some cases I could see that you'd want wireless. Here's some pics from it when the neighbors barn got lit up, they aren't the best when it comes to resolution but certainly usable for most things. I installed this setup about june 2017 it was about 200 bucks for the dvr unit,cameras,powersupplies, cables and everything else needed except the monitor so I had some 40-50 dollar flatscreens laying around I hooked up to it. You can also access it remote if you hook it up to the internet but I don't really trust the chinese that much so it is just a stand alone systems for now
Thanks Ronsii. That's a good resolution considering copy, paste and post online takes some resolution away. What brand are they? If you don't want to answer on the open board PM me. I will hook mine up to the net - haven't decided on the level of notification that I want to receive on the phone. I don't want it to notify me if a bird flies in front of the camera for instance. The yard is located in a very safe community, the cameras are more of a deterrent than anything else.
Check out Reolink. I just installed 7 cameras and an 8 channel recorder with full computer and smartphone access. cameras are very good with excellent infrared night vision. About 1200 bucks for the hardware, son in law and I did the install. Wired (POE) system.
This a view from my Amcrest camera in my shop. It is on wifi and when it detects motion it will upload a recording to their cloud service. I also have a Ring brand floodlight and a door bell at the shop that does the same thing. The infrared images in the dark are pretty good to.
The brand on the one at my sawmill that covers the neighbors barn(used to) is 'XVIM' like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/XVIM-8CH-HDMI-DVR-1500TVL-Outdoor-Home-CCTV-Security-Camera-System-1T-Hard-Drive/191691696067?epid=2143513431&hash=item2ca1b727c3:g:MTYAAOSwJtJcHZXt&LH_BIN=1 I think mine are just a 1 TB hard drive... with 4 cams plugged in it will record for about a 2 week loop but if you bought extra cams (at 20 bucks each I think) of course it drops the amout of loop time on the hard drive so I just bought a few of the 1TB models and have some of the cameras overlap different areas... it's not like we have a high crime around here it was more of a cheap(sorta) test and experiment just to see how the lower end systems worked.. and so far has been just fine and everything runs off 12vdc so you could technically run it on a car batt and some panels if you needed to. One thing I haven't tried on mine is any kind of 'movement alarm' or stuff like that.. from what I've read that stuff can be finicky anyways my cameras at night go to 'night mode'... which turns on the infrared emmiters so the cam can see in the dark... however these led IR emmiters seem to attract all kinds of insects/moths/etc... so it starts to put a lot of 'motion' on the screen @Tinker : That's a pretty good looking picture on your setup
Just finished a 16 camera Dahua system at my liquor store. Wired POE system with IR zoom cameras and 8 TB NVR. Very pleased but about $4000.00 installed with high end battery back up. We pulled all the CAT 6 lines.
That sounds like a decent system for most of mine I just used the provided 100 foot plug-n-play cables... I do have a bunch of cat5/6 converters for other stuff I have done in the past for going long range on the wiring cause I've heard you can't go more than 250-300 feet with the standard POV cabling they sell for these systems. all but a couple of my cams are the standard outdoor type, easy to put up and hook up .
I've never put a router inside a conex, but I think you'll have issues with signal strength. Radio signals don't penetrate steel very well.
The router works fine around the yard, I think the 'Net is faster there than my house. Shop is Charter and home is ATT.
I have 4 infared cameras. They have a cord to 110v power then wireless signal to the "base". https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W8BJ44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Daylight pictures are pretty good. Night pictures aren't bad. Better now that I have a bright outdoor LED light.
That's good to hear and sorta surprising. I've had trouble getting signal from one metal clad building to another.
I used to have AT&T internet service. But they could only provide 12 mgps download speed and 1.5 mbps upload. Security cameras need at least 20 mbps down and 2 mbps or faster upload speeds to provide buffer free videos. I switched to the local cable tv company for the faster speeds and the video recordings are outstanding. AT&T video images were very good but the buffering caused big gaps in the recordings.
I had tried the Lorex wireless system and could NEVER get them to work correctly. In fact couldn't get a good enough single from the front of the house to the back. Have a 8 camera wired system by Zosi now and love it.
I've been installing camera systems at the parks I maintain for work over the past several years and have learned through experience what to look for. I'd recommend a minimum of 5mp IP cameras that use Cat 6 cable to connect. Wireless wouldn't really work for me because they still need a power source so I don't have experience with them. I've been using systems from GW Security, if you shop the net you can find a package that's pretty economical. I'd also recommend getting a larger capacity system, you can't have too many cameras. The more angles you have of an incident occurring the more likely you are to make a positive identification. It's much less expensive to buy a system over piecing it out yourself. The first system I bought was a 2mp analog where it used a coax cable with integrated power supply line. While you could see exactly what was happening, when it came to fine detail for making a solid identification this system just didn't perform. I have 16 cameras at this location and the only way I've been able to make identifications was through the various angles of the different cameras. They have to pass fairly close to this type of camera to get that detail.
I install a fair amount of Ubiquiti stuff on the side and they are fairly affordable. At my day job we spend a little more but that is a business requirement.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am researching the brands. The potential layout is 3 cameras on the conex box which will be hardwired from the suggestions here. Those 3 can cover most of the yard. Then one wireless on on the power meter pole which will have a power source. I have 2 power poles from demo jobs I can mount at the rear of the lot on the slope and hardwire those as well. The wireless one on the meter pole will cover the front gate. Just really don't want to trench across the lot again to install conduit. We ran a single 5" conduit for power to the conex from the meter base however in a dumbass episode forgot to place a spare conduit with some dirt separation for telcom wiring.
Hey CM1995, I agree with Steve more cameras is better I do like the IP systems but they do tend to cost a bit more... however you get better resolution. Another thing I find handy for installing a system is these 'security testers' basically just a small video monitor with built in battery and power out for the cam... makes for a quick job of mounting a camera and knowing it's pointing in the right place!!! downside is the cheaper ones I use won't work with the cat5/IP systems
During a recent post break in investigation and report with the police, they said the typical camera is typically much too high to get the faces and often the perps vehicle license plate is not readable. As to the camera high, they suggested a hidden camera like a wildlife camera mount which is lower as an example. They had no comment on the license plate capture but the cops and tow companies that do repo somehow have great software that catches license plates. ~ I said I heard there was a new method which captures the DNA. This got their intense attention - I said it is called 'razor wire'. ~~ The wireless like Arlo do a great job. The batteries get to be a nuisance but the immediate advantage of wireless is the ability to move it around (ie optimize) to find the best spot to collect information, then that spot can be upgraded to wired. Then the battery unit can be used for other assignments elsewhere. Not all of us are a gifted cinematographer when it comes to capture by film.
Another idea I have: what with these newer LED lights making super bright light the instant they are turned on.....how about a Driveway Alert system to go along with the cameras? Or at least put the conduits and then add it in later. The Driveway Alert with a 'dry contact' allows ye to decide what is the alarm or notification. Such a dry contact combined with Insteon switches could activate every single light as soon as someone crossed the imaginary line. Lots of times the non occupied lets go home security lighting is quasi minimal but the yard owners often have the big kahuna lights for those ops in the winter or after hours when the sun is down. Activating all these lights would not only really help the 'filming' but the action/reaction of a camera to a perp is way different than action/reaction of instant copious illumination upon the illicit entry into the place. System can be off when photo eye says no need, or use the photo eye to regulate the lights but keep a chime for when one is working at the yard and someone enters the property. Comes in real handy. Deter. Make Others Aware. Record Evidence. Each worthy of consideration. The security light idea isn't meant to be the same as say the alarm of the building but often times I think these folks don't wanna learn how to work honestly but they darn well learn they can roam around an equipment yard and only get to be on film and their hoody keeps em hidden and safe from detection. They may know the cams may have alarms / notifications but a lotta of cam systems don't. And they dont need much time to make for a bad day. As to having notifications: that can be a good idea not just to try to catch perps on film but say ye are not at the yard and UPS or fed ex or the equipment dealer delivers a package....
The netgear arlo cameras also have a solar charger available.
And where is a good place to purchase wired cameras etc? No thanks to wifi.
I put in Walmarts offering and it seemed fine, my friend put in harbor freights and he said it works fine. I'm going to put in harbor freights system when I get some money freed up.
I have a couple Amcrest cameras and am using BlueIris to monitor them. I just set it up on a cheap PC and its been good enough for my needs. If you have a lot of cameras you will want a littler higher end PC. All my cameras are hardwired POE. I have honestly been running them for 4 years or so with very few issues.
I'm assuming your Amcrest are then 4 years old? I bought some quite a while ago but never did anything with them, it'd be nice to know that the support is still there. One of these days I'd like to put them up but I enjoy living under the delusions that I don't need them, similar feeling I have about guns...
I've been through a number of systems over the years. These days, I look for HIKvision compatible POE system cameras and NVR's. Get the highest resolution you can afford. Vehicle and personel detection speeds up locating pertinent video clips. Better resolution is worth more than extra cameras - it's just like the women in my life => quality is more important than quantity. POE systems are easy to install as long as you have the right tools. Be sure to get outdoor rated cable for exterior use (or plan to rewire in a few years!). I doubt jammers could affect a wired system easily. The newest camera that I have, and really like, is this one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125489724145 Hook it to a router, set up an account and access via your phone. 30x zoom, 8 Mp full color + night vision camera, 360 rotation, 2 way intercom, personel/vehicle detecting alarm system and more for under $175 per unit. I was able to keep an eye on my place while in Maine this year via my Android phone. I build custom corner mounts for my building and I can scan 270 degrees per camera.