Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Seeking Recommendations On Dump Trucks, Prefer Non CDL Required Size

ltrmc02 ยท 2016-09-06 12:17

I just bought a used 9K lb Kubota mini excavator for personal work around my property and now would like a dump truck to move some materials around, brush, stumps, logs, dirt and such along with using it to pull the excavator and tractors around when needed. I see what seems to be some fair prices for some older trucks but I know nothing about trucks above a 1 ton dually so hoping to get a little jump start from you guys of what's desirable and what to stay clear of. Currently I'm interested in going to look at a 1996 Ford F800 26000 GVWR 6spd manual 5.9L 12V Cummins 74K miles. It looks pretty clean and the guy is asking $7400 for it. I'm not sure of dump box size but pretty long with tall sides. This particular one has removable side panels more like a gated side truck for hauling watermelons but he's using OSB siding inside to box it in to haul loose material. That setup would have me buying OSB quiet often until I could get it sheltered, which is a project down the road after I get some clearing and grading done. This sounds like a good deal to me but with my inexperience of big trucks and dump beds I really don't know.

Replies15
  1. #1Junkyard2016-09-09 21:24

    That sounds like a fairly solid start for a truck. However the non CDL part will be tricky as anything towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 pounds gets you into CDL territory unless you can tag in farm truck like we can in OK. There are constant debates on here over what it CDL and what isn't. Then you get into DOT numbers, medical cards and so on. That style bed wouldn't hold up long term for use as a true dump truck even with steel sides etc. Is that truck juice brakes or air brakes? Air brakes aren't quite as picky when a truck sits for extended periods of time, at least in my experience. For general use on your own property you might get along alright with that rig without a CDL and other required stuff. Everything associated with that truck shouldn't be terribly expensive to work on, especially if you had air brakes. Look for the normal stuff, fluid leaks, blowby, broken or missing stuff, tire condition, tire date codes, structural integrity of the hitch, working lights etc. It's an overgrown 1 ton for all intents and purposes. Don't let the size get in the way of evaluating it. If you see anything questionable post some pics and we will evaluate for you. Junkyard

  2. #2CM19952016-09-09 21:55

    Sounds like your looking at a flatbed dump with wood sides, not too bad for what you want to do I've had several over the years that served the purpose of what I needed. Some C-Channel with 2x10's however high you want to go work pretty well and last a while for light duty hauling of brush, trash and dirt. As Junkyard asked does it have juice or air brakes? I'm not sure of the year models of the Fords that had the Lucas Girling hydraulic brake system but they can very problematic. On the topic of towing your 9K lb mini-ex behind that F800, that will put you into Class A territory CDL wise.

  3. #3ltrmc022016-09-10 06:44

    I guess that was a pretty good deal on the truck I was planning to look at because it got gone quick before I could get there to look at it. We can classify a truck for farm use here in NC which is something I need to figure out how to do. I also need to talk to someone with the NC DMV to explain the differences to me of class A and B licenses. I don't know if requirements for license types vary by state or not but here we have options of class A, B and C non CDL license then A, B and C CDL license. Sounds like a regular class A license would allow to pull a trailer with a GVWR over 10,000lbs. I just recently learned that I wasn't suppose to be pulling such a trailer with my standard class C license :cool2. My trailer is a 12K that I'd been pulling with a F250 and this whole time I thought I was good if I stayed under 26,001 lbs combined. At least I didn't find that out with blue lights behind me.

  4. #4ltrmc022016-09-10 07:09

    That truck did not have air brakes, he had it advertised that way insinuating, to me anyway, that air brakes would automatically make it require a CDL. I really need to do my homework on license and tag requirements and see what annual expenses for all that will be. At this time all I want is something for personal use between two different properties I have and on my parents' property which are all fairly close together so I wouldn't be running it on the road much at all so hate to have a big annual expense of licensing the truck for the limited use it'll see on road for the next few years any way. Down the road I may like to pick up some side work with a truck and mini excavator but for now I have enough on my own property to keep me plenty busy for a few years.

  5. #5ltrmc022016-10-02 22:19

    What's your opinions on these trucks? I'm really wanting a good reliable truck with the lowest maintenance cost possible. 1995 and 1999 Ford F-650 with 5.9L Cummins and 6spd manual, 16ft and 18ft flat bed dump, not sure of brake systems or mileage 2001 International 4900 with DT466E, 6spd manual, 16ft flat bed dump, not sure of brakes, has 377K miles 1998 Chevy Kodiak 7500 with 300HP Cat engine and Allison automatic, 13ft flat bed dump, not sure of brakes, 168K miles I see several late 80's to mid 90's Ford F600, F700 and F800 trucks for pretty tempting prices, are these typically reliable and parts available and reasonably priced? I'm pretty sure a single axle, flat bed dump with wood sides will fit my needs best at this time and I wouldn't be putting many miles on it, mostly used on own property with some short road trips. For this use would you consider a gas engine? I see a few older gas trucks but unlike pickups the price doesn't seem much different that getting an equivalent year diesel.

  6. #6Shimmy12016-10-02 22:41

    Being around those little B-series Cummins in construction equipment for the better part of 25 years, I will vote for the Fords. Those little engines are nearly bulletproof, and you can buy a complete running engine for what a set of injectors costs for the DT or the Cat, at least for the '95.

  7. #7ltrmc022016-10-02 22:53

    After doing some studying on the licensing requirements, drivers license not talking tags, my understanding of it is that weight doesn't really have anything to do with the need for a CDL, unlike what I thought and seems to be the general consensus. There are class A, B and C commercial and non-commerical licenses and the weights are the same for each class of license. Of course just as with getting a CDL one will still have to pass a written and driving test with such a vehicle to get a class A or B non-commerical license but if you're not driving for hire such as a farm vehicle or a larger personal vehicle such as class A motorhome or large truck pulling a personal camper or horse trailer then a non commercial license will do. It seems that having a commercial drivers license will have the DMV and law enforcement officers holding you to a higher standard when it comes to fines and leniency of infractions so since I don't have any intentions as of now to drive for hire I'm leaning towards getting a class A non commerical license with air brake endorsement. Anyone is definitely welcome to correct or clarify anything I've said here that may be inaccurate or misleading. I'm in the beginning stages here of learning the laws of moving heavy loads down the road, legally LOL.

  8. #8Shimmy12016-10-02 23:06

    Clintm will know anything you need to know, he hasn't been on for a bit, but he'll be around.

  9. #9ltrmc022016-10-02 23:07

    I really appreciate that feed back and I didn't know that info for sure but had a feeling that they would likely be less expensive to up keep being that that 5.9 Cummins was used in so many 2500 and 3500 Dodge pickups over the years. Thanks again, that's the kind of experienced feed back I'm seeking. Would air brakes be greatly preferred on a 26K to 32K GVWR truck? Is there much maintenance to up keep an air brake system? I know it includes a compressor, tanks and such but I've never seen how the actuators actually work the brakes so I need to watch some videos on that.

  10. #10Shimmy12016-10-02 23:36

    I'm not a Ford guy, but guys like CM are. I prefer air brakes for multiple reasons. Spring brakes for parking, easy to keep adjusted, and built-in compressed air supply, just to name a few.

  11. #11Mike Van2016-10-03 06:11
  12. #12Willie B2016-10-03 08:06

    I'm in VT. Here the law is any combination of vehicle weighing loaded more than 26000 LBS. Or towing a trailer over 10,000 loaded. My Chevy C65 is titled at 26000, and nameplate is 27500. I haven't been challenged by police, but I understand the bare truck can be registered at 26000, loaded to 25999, and driven by a non CDL driver. With trailer over 10,000 it then requires Class A CDL, and a trailer endorsement. I found the VT DMV to be obstructive. My first appointment, I sat at a computer terminal, and took the written test passing with a score of 95 IIRC. As I was not required a medical card for in state, I was able to schedule my next appointment. I would be required to come with truck, trailer, and a licensed CDL driver as supervisor. Arriving for my appointment with all this, (44 mile round trip, and imposing on a CDL driver with more important things to do), I was informed the law was going to change in a few months. Since I would eventually need a medical card, they were enforcing the future law ahead of time. I was asked who told me there would be no medical card required? I answered "You." Getting a medical card was not simple. I imagined my regular doctor might fax one to me. Office staff informed me it is a big deal. Got to make an appointment, full physical. Arriving for the appointment I witnessed part of a heated as$ chewing of the appointment lady by the doctor. It seems I hit a raw nerve with a dispute between the doctor, and the DMV. It seems he is qualified to teach the course, but would be required to take a week long course in the rigid procedure for giving CDL medical exams, at his expense. He was insulted, and had just mailed his letter to DMV stating he would not perform their physicals. He was not happy about it, but I left that day with the necessary paperwork. Next appointment at DMV arriving with truck, trailer, and CDL driver, they had no record of me having an appointment. Next trip, I failed the pre trip inspection. I failed to inspect the trailer headboard, landing gear, truck windshield, and mirror adjustment. I pointed out the trailer had neither headboard, or landing gear, and I drove 22 miles to get there. Mirrors and windshield were perfect, rest assured. He said I needed to mention the absence of landing gear, and headboard. As it was a pre trip inspection, I have to check the windshield, and mirrors again. FAIL!!!!! By the next appointment, my CDL driver bailed, taking his truck, and trailer. Mine were older, and less perfect, but I scrambled, spent a couple thousand on the truck. I talked a CDL retired trucker into going with me. He said he was happy to do it, but he'd let his medical card slide. If they asked to see it, it wouldn't go well. I spent two hours on pre trip inspection. pointed out the truck was not equipped with landing gear, or headboard, checked the windshield, and mirrors this time. He all but begged me to stop. Dock backing a trailer in one smooth motion has always been a challenge for me, but I managed. Maybe a little crooked between the cones, but within tolerance. Finally taking the road test, all went well. After 5 appointments, I have a CDL with trailer endorsement. Willie

  13. #13ltrmc022016-10-03 12:22
  14. #14Mike Van2016-10-03 14:45

    It seems like no matter what state you're in the DMV is anything but easy - My advice to you would be do what Willie did, grit your teeth, rat it out & be done with it. The other ways seem like splitting hairs, and people like us wind up on the wrong side of the rules most times. Not cause we wanted to, we just didn't have the law degree it takes to figure it out. Like class B above, 26001 or more but exempt from cdl requirements? Can you name one? The other law says above 26000 you need a cdl. Go figure...........

  15. #15AllDodge2016-10-03 15:31

    I'm think in most cases its all about where you live. I have a 26K gross weight 4700 International with a 10 foot box and live in the country, and no CDL. Pass DOT all the time going to/from quarry and other places getting dirt. All I do is for personal use and do not haul for anyone no matter what. License plate for the 26K truck is about $150, but KY also has the horse industry. If you get a horse council plate its a 34K plate and cost $50. I haul my 20K backhoe and only do it every once in a while, and don't go very far. Have commercial insurance policy to cover me within a 50 mile radius.