Hey all, Brand new to heavy equipment. Popped my cherry on a JD 323D but the 1-week honeymoon is over. I was having issues keeping my track on... Figured the track was worn too much, which I expected to replace soon anyway, but I'm finding some deeper issues that I would like to resolve before throwing new shoes on it. A track came off the sprocket while clearing some land. I was able to get it back on the sprocket but found that I was unable to tighten it. Started reading about track adjusters and blown seals and rust and what not so I've been focused on that until I finally got fed up and pulled the track off completely. I tried to pull the front idler and connected components out the front and it doesn't budge. So not only does it not extend, but it doesn't compress at all! I tried pumping grease into and the only thing that moves is the spring (compresses). Sooo, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down the problem to be the frame that slides in and out (with front idler and one bottom roller) is frozen (rusted) to the main undercarriage frame. I have yet to come across any forum with that specific problem so I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this problem and possible solutions. I've been heating, banging and spraying for 3 or 4 days now. It seems like rust keeps falling out, but I don't know if there is a more efficient/effective way to go about this? I've tried compressing with chain/come-a-long and extending by pulling with my truck and the bucket of the machine. Doesn't move at all... Hoping for some wiz bang ideas on how to free this up, but if I should just keep heating, banging and spraying, I'd be ok with some reassurance that I'm on the right track. Thanks so much in advance. Chris
Look close for weld on it somewhere. I have seen where some fool welded them on old Cat crawlers because the adjuster leaked. Hope not but it does happen.
Oh man... didn't even consider that but foolish things do happen. I will check it out. Thank you!