Hi all. 580l backhoe, Need to remove the extendehoe cylinder, to repack. The pin on the lower bucket end is seized up, no movement what so ever after several hits of a sledge hammer. Dont want to mushroom the head, any ideas?
Repeated applications of your favorite penetrating oil and heat. Try more frequent lube schedule in the future
If all else fails use a Gas Axe or call a good welder with one to blow the center out of the pin, buy a replacement.
Could try building a frame and pushing it out with a hydraulic jack. I assume this is a pin for a cylinder inside of the boom, virtually no access? Let us know how it goes and if you need any more ideas. Post a pic for best service.
Yes Delmer, its the pin that goes thru the cylinder rod end of the extension inside the dipper stick. There are no grease zirks for the part that goes thru, and on the inside i would have thought it would be well lubricated. Any way I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Iam sure they have their methods and I will pay for it dearly.
Can you drill it
To late for the mushroom part.
This pin Or this pin Or is it a different set up ?
See if you can find somebody with a carbon arc torch, it is not real common, but works well for this. you gauge a hole all the way thru the pin, by the time you finish it is so hot you can drive it out. The material you gauge out gives the pin room to shrink. If it does not come out hot cool it it with water and it will come out. The carbon arc torch is around 500.00 requires at least 300 amp welder and a air compressor. If you can stick weld you will get the hang off it quick
And... Wear your asbestos underwear !
my favorite tool for pin removal is an exothermic torch made by BROCO. pretty hard to beat for blowing the centre out of any pin. excellent for 2 reasons- it works, and any time somebody was bothering me I would pull it out and everybody would leave me the hell alone after the sparks and slag started flying everywhere
^^That is definitely the most assured way to get it out. It is amazing what those things will do. They are just pricey enough that not many people will have one sitting around not used though.
I really wish I could have taken it with me when I left that job after 6 years
Oxygen lance, piece of black iron pipe hooked up to oxygen, start it with a cutting torch and push it through ANYTHING. I've never had the guts to try it. If I had to, I'd set it up so you could observe from a safe distance and feed the pipe from there.
Saw the O2 Lances made up and used at a Steel mill to clean melt pot sides in Alton IL. Used pipe straight out of the mill screwed into a gate valve!!
So are you guys telling me there is something better than my oxy/acet torch?
I saw guys at the mill using them. They had on those silver 'spaceman' fire retardant suits similar to what you see scientists wearing around volcanoes. The **** really flies!
Cat do a nice mini-torch. Useful for all sorts of things, especially D10/D11 equalizer bar centre pins where there is limited space for access.
Only need a O2 cylinder and a 12 volt battery. ..Local price is $600 for the torch... Are the rods available outside of CAT ?
Arcair Slice torch is an exothermic torch similar to the Broco torch, Cat mini torch and there are other brands as well that work great for cutting through pins. Unless it's a huge pin on a dragline or something huge probably don't need an oxygen lance. Arcair air arc gouging torches are very common but not the best for removing a pin. You have to be too close and all the sparks and slag would be blowing in your face. You also need a good welder and air compressor. An exothermic torch can be run off a 12 volt battery or a welder.
I assume so, the torches also. Someone must make them. We buy them from the Cat dealer in our location simply because it's easier for us.
I just noticed that all the three torches shown in the videos Dave posted appear to be significantly larger than the Cat Mini-Torch. The holder for the exothermic rod on the Cat torch is no larger than a normal 300-amp screwed electrode holder.
None of the torches are that big but the rods can be up 36" long. Here's another option similar to the Cat torch. I would think they'd be available for rent. Just need an oxygen cylinder. http://www.pccampana.com/caldotorch/mini-caldo-torch.htm
I had a little experience with air arcs many years ago. I wouldn't consider blowing that pin out for fear of making a hole big enough for a Missouri mule to walk through. A lance on YouTube looks even scarier !
There are a few manufacturers that make rods that are crimped down on one end so that you could slide two rods together. That helps keep down on waste and can expand your reach.
Blocker .. Thanks for posting This video shows making a guide and shield for boring a pin... Even Tinker should be able to keep it centered I particularly like the shield idea (not being fond of molten steel showers) Being a tool junkie... I appreciate learning about tools. I've never seen or heard of. Thanks Guys..
^^^ I love tools and have a ton of them. Now I need to get one of these torches. Would have made the seized pin in my 426 come out faster.
I think a person could make one of these pretty cheap if you bought the collets and rods. I have never needed an oxygen lance yet, but I might be brave enough to try to make one of these one day.
I must be too old school LOL
Speed is the tool of the day these days, pins are cheap replaceable pieces and much more timely to get out by smoking the centers out not requiring tons of specialty ever changing tooling to save a pin that may self destruct or already be destroyed removing conventionally.
on a different thread involving @crane operator and @Randy88 , Randy88 described making his own oxygen lance using 1/8" black pipe, ball valve, couplers, etc and hooking it up to an oxygen tank. He then used an oxy torch to ignite the end of the 1/8" pipe and off he went, burning out a seized pin. The thread was in the trailers section about a seized pin in a trailer neck than Crane Operator was working on. Another thread with great discussion.
The air arc and mini-torch are totally different animals. They even work totally different. I'd think at least twice about letting even a good welder near an E-Bar centre pin with an air-arc, I WOULD let him torch it out with a min-torch though. Even someone as cack-handed as me can use one.....
I was referring to the physical size of the torch handle, not the length of the rod attached to it. Just to give an idea here's a photo of the Cat mini-torch holder attached to my hand, and my hands aren't the largest thing in the World.
Home made spark bonnet?
Nope. Comes with the torch. Replaceable as a spare part - 9U-5614. Came in with the latest engineering change level of the torch. It wasn't in the original version which is why it's not in the attachment I posted on Page 1.
When using that lance the biggest part of the opperation is cutting in a fashion that allows the slag to exit the pin. How about welding a large nut to the pin and using a hollow ram puller. Or some contraption you can stick a bottlejack in to press on. Frozen pins can be very frustrating.
The instructions how to work the slag out of the hole are actually in the manual I posted earlier. A lot easier than you might think when you've practiced a bit with the torch. Those torches are handier than a shirt pocket, ours probably gets used at least once a week. You could probably have the pin half-way lanced out in the time it took you to weld the nut on to it - and the nut would be no guarantee that it would stand up to the force of the hollow ram.
Looks like the Cat mini torch could be the same as the Mini Caldo torch in post 23 but the Arcair and Broco aren't much bigger. If you can't rent one then it would be good to price out the different torches and rods and their availability.
Cat mini torch on ebay $768, you are probably correct, by the time you play f-around with something that in the end doesnt work, we know this tool will work. I used a caldo torch years ago, worked good, frozen boom pins on large Case loader that lived in the salt pile.
Oxygen lances are no trouble to make. Never done, but been around several guys who have very effectively. I was talking about making most of an exothermic cutting rig. The handles on some are only pressure washer triggers-one brand is only that. All you would need is the regulator and oxygen hose screwed in one end and you would of course have to buy or make the collets and buy the rods.
Had to subdue a stubborn pin today. Cat mini torch saves the day again. Took 2 rods and maybe a minute to blow that hole in that pin.