Is an older CAT/Komatsu/Hitachi/Deere/Volvo excavator, from say 1999-2003 with less than 5500 hours on it a better deal in terms of reliability and longevity than say any of the above with over 10,000 hours and vintage 2006-2010? Thoughts on this? We've got a fairly strong year here in 2016 already on our plate. Quite a few machine decisions needed this from a 20-25T excavator, a 15-16T and maybe a dozer as well and a CTL takeuchi replacement.
Part of my opinion would be based on your intended tasks, and your own mechanical skills. I've got a 1994 with 11k hours and a 2011 with 3k hours. I realize that's opposite of what you're suggesting, but my point is either one of them could give me a catastrophically sized bill tomorrow. With the technology differences between the 99-03, and the 06-10 models, the newer ones will offer so much more in terms of precision, whether with fine grading or slinging pipe/boxes around people. If it's simply going to be a production-driven machine, digging or bulking or ripping or smashing, I think I'd rather have the older one with less hours. If it's a niche or precision machine I'd go for the newer yet higher hour machine. Costs per hour may be higher but you may also be charging/making more per hour for that type of work, and likely have a more "valued" operator in it. My opinion, -Josh
I have a 2005 Volvo 210 with 5,000 hrs on it and have no intension of getting something different. One thing to consider with newer equipment is the exhaust emissions crap. I have some newer trucks and tractors and I swear half the time you are having problems with the Exhaust stuff and computer problems. Plus DEF fluid sucks in a cold environment. If you found a nice 2000-2006 or so machine I would take that. I am not in a high production operation. About 400 or so hrs on just the excavator per year. That being said I would also not want to go for to old of a machine either like JoshA stated. but there is a middle ground.