Hey guys I have been in excavating for about 8 years full time for our home building/ construction company. We have recently been getting asked about doing septic systems for customers friends relatives etc. Im having a hard time finding information on the licensing required in nj for septics. We are already licensed home builders and contractors and are registered with the bbb. Any info would be helpful.
I know up here in canada it varys from area in which you are building. Best to call your local municipality office and ask them. Also I have a question for you about your 02 new holland ec35. Do you have a manual and what size of tracks are on your unit. Thanks
saskman has a point also try calling some local septic companies you would be surprised how willing to help some people actually are.
Ya thats what I did. Its best to call around as there are just to many different rules for different areas. Local goverments have different rules for each area. Prime example, in my local rural municipality, the only stipulation is it has to be a certain distance from your dwelling and your house has to have proper vents. It is also has to be a certain distance away from your water source. Now were allow fields, pump outs and lagoons. Now the area south of me thats by the lake, your only allowed to have a suck out tank. No pump outs, lagoons, fields etc. It all depends on thw area and the local goverments rules.
From what I understand, it's similar to PA. For most applications, individual county health departments oversee permitting, design and construction. However, I believe that also like PA, they operate under the general guidelines of the DEP, in your case, the NJDEP. BTW, if I was an established local septic system contractor and you called me and introduced yourself as my new competition and wanted some industry information.....you might end up getting your feelings hurt by my response.
Yep and maybe your right, but when people ask me questions about ditching and trenching and such, I have no problems telling them my thoughts. Cause you never know when your gonna need to call someone for some advice. Now would I tell them everything, for sure not, some things you just know. Im friends with a few in my area and it doesnt hurt to be friends with them. Everyone stirs work to each other cause each guy has a different skill set. Just remember one day you might need to make a call to a fellow operator for some insight.
pretty much the way it has worked for me down here. i have met people and helped them out with little things. I'm not running a business for any one else, but if some one calls me and asks me hey will i need this for this job i don't mind answering. hell some times the most unlikely candidate will be right there when you need them most
Try contacting local DEC. They regulate the septic systems and the installation of them. They will know the rules
Thanks for the answers guys. I know a lot of contractors in the area but some of them had no clear answer. I know some systems such as peat systems require a special license nationwide. I've been breaking into the excavating business but it takes a long time for your name and reputation to make the rounds.