Anyone know the names of some good equipment guides for seeing serial number ranges to year? Also where might i find them? :beatsme kinda like the blue books for construction equipment.
For Case equipment you can use the first few numbers to determine the year. ie. and N4C would be a 2004, N5C 2005, etc. The C is a backhoe and a skidsteer would be NXM.
S/n ? Try www.toughquip.com for the later models. Then ACMOC.org for the Antiques ? Caterpillar also puts out a "SEBF9451-xx " booklet, for their products.
There are several that give good coverage but the one I use the most is done by Equipment Watch a Primedia Business Information Data Product. Phone number is 1 800 669-3282. These are spendy but if you are in the business it is the most comprehensive I've used in the last 13 years. Good Luck!
Thanks everone for all the helpful tips.
Associated Equipment Dealers used to put out a pretty good serial book, don't know if they still do or not. You can email them at; [email protected] and ask how to get your hands on a copy. I carried one for years, may still have it someplace in a box. Ask for AED Serial Number Guide. The Cat Serial Number Guide is good. I'm sure some of the other manufacturers also put out a guide, you will have to ask for the ones you are interested in. Good Luck!
The best Caterpillar Information on the net for serial numbers, stolen equipment, and more is at www.ironrecord.com I can not believe is free.
Thanks for the site.
HI. I am interested to buy a catapillar motor grader and a seller gave me a serial number. I would like to know if there is a web site where I can go and check if this serial number is good or noté Thank you for your help Jyjy
sn hello jyjy992 ,if you post or send me the number ,i will be able to help with the info your after ,bruce oz
Absolutely! Just looked in. Good stuff there.
Can anyone tell me how old the following cat is D6 9U Serial #27912. Thanks
Well i look up the serial number in my "international equipment exchange Kwik reference guide and its a 1958 model the Number from 1958 when from 27414 to 28035 that year. hope that helps
We have a 994 at where I work, it was there in 1996 when I started here. It has no letter after 994. I was talking to the cat fitter a couple of days ago and he said it was built before cat put a model letter to them, he did say it was the 213th one built. It is still working but has had a few rebuilds and updates.What year would it have been built?
Well Diggerop, the 994 series 9YF where build in 1991 and when though 1998 and ended at serial number 00225 hope that helps
www.ironrecord.com is the great place for caterpillar information.
Hello, i'm interested in purchasing a Champion 710 grader, but the unit was repainted n documents are misplaced. i have the serial number, how can a verify year?? Serial # as taken from unit: 710-157-117-2347-2 Thanks
Hi, dadeer. If i am reading the number right it is a 1985 year machine and was made in Columbia SC i think ??? according to my SN guide the 1985 machines ran from SN -2144-2 to 2488-2 not sure what the frist set of numbers are for other than model and ??
ok thanks! the seller said it was 80' something........... if anybody else can verify this as well i'd appreciate it.
i have got go with John C........Equipment Watch is the best guide out there...
Serial Number Guide let me know your Serial number, then i can help you get exact manufacturing year.
can anyone tell about serial numbers for komatsu?
post your S.no., let try
Are they still the way to go? its $600 dont know if it is worth it since i can just ring up the local dealer of the machine and find out. Is there any that are cheaper? like $200-300? Cheers, Nick
I would say that unless you are in the business of buying, selling, adjusting insurance losses or appraising heavy equipment you could just do searches on the internet for individual items. I've been buying them for years and haven't seen that high of price.
Hi, I ended up deciding to buy the book, then their website stopped working Have emailed them
hello, first time poster here. i was wondering if someone could varify a serial number for a case 580se for me. it's supposed to be an 86. serial # 9873959 ty in advance chewy
Hey, Chewy63. I did a quick search of the Case 580SE numbers and in 1984 the Numbers started at 9868100 and ran to 17025399 so i am thinking that the machine is in the 1984 range ??? not sure why the S/N made such a big jump in 1984. I have a 580SE and it S/N is 17043377 and it is a 1986 So i hope this helps ???
i checked my 2010 serial # guide and it shows to be a late 83 or 84 for sure
Ty diggerdave, and mrkamatsu!!! The hoe is listed as an 86, and as a super e. If it is an 83 or 84 would it be a super e? Should I stay clear of this backhoe? It kinda seems like a good deal, you tell me. 4x4, extenda hoe, cab heat, 4in1, 6500 hrs. $17000. Not sure if the dealer has made a mistake or is trying to pull one over on me! Ty for the replys guys, and I've enjoyed your vids on youtube also diggerdave!!!
Oh ya, sorry for the slow reply!!! For some reason I thought this thread was in the tlb forum. Ty again for looking this up for me!!!
Thanks, Chewy. 17K sounds like a lot of money to me, it is a 27 year old machine.
What do you think it is worth? There is a se standard hoe, 2 wheel drive, cab, gp loader bucket for 14k close to me. That seems high to me. Not to many arOund with 4in1 bucket. Chewy
Hi.. Please try to find the manufacture year for TCM wheel loader 808, Sno. S05-00720. Thanks in advance.
TopBid.com Serial Number Guide is a a great reference Hi all. Thanks for posting the serial number questions and great discussions. I work for Randall-Reilly Publishing, publisher of EquipmentWorld, and whose division TopBid publishes the Serial Number Guide each year. It takes our company several months of work each year to keep this guide updated, and it's easy the most comprehensuve and accurate book available. It's a terrific reference available at http://topbid.com/serial-number-guide.html . The hard copy is $199, and the on-line version $249. I hope you find it helpful!
I'm trying to find the year for a Komatsu D20A. Serial number is 57241. If anyone has the answer to that I'd be appreciative. Thanks.
The Komatsu D20A SN 57241 is a 1984 model year per the www.Topbid.com Serial Number Guide.
Thanks for the information! :cool2
Hi I'd like to know if anyone out there can find a Michigan 175 III wheel loader serial number for me. I've checked the site but I guess you gotta buy the info. Serial number is C-6H6-9-16. Thanks
Sorry wrong number. the correct number for the Michigan 175 III is C 6HG9-16. I'd like to know, more or less, the year of manufacture. Thanks..
Michigan S/N The year of manufacture for a Michigan 175 Series III with the S/N of C6HG9-16 is not listed in my book. However, S/No's C7HG9-17 to C7HG9-29 were manufactured in 1967. The earliest 6HG S/No's shown are 1965, but these earlier S/No's follow a different numbering pattern, with 1965 manufacture of 6HG S/No machines being 6HG101 to 6HG190. Many manufacturers "jumped" whole blocks of numbers, to make it appear that they were manufacturing more machines than they actually were, to the "opposition" manufacturers. In addition, changing the serial numbering system or pattern, to a different style, also ensured confusion amongst competitive manufacturers .. who were always keen to see how many machines a competitor was building and selling. Allis Chalmers and IHC were notorious for this, but they weren't orphans when it came to the technique. Add in typos in records, and incomplete records (caused by fires or sloppy recording) and you have a whole new ball game trying to track down S/N info. Caterpillar have the best S/N records, with their publication "Serial/Product Identification Number Index" book being a very valuable source of info. You can acquire older copies from eBay sellers from time to time, for a reasonable sum, usually around $20-25. The book I refer to frequently is the AED S/N book. Older copies are useful, but they don't appear often. No S/N book or record is 100% accurate, they all have errors and typos, and you have to cross-check to ensure a degree of accuracy.
Thanks. Ball park date of manufacture is cose enough. This machine is confusiing me in more ways than one. I've tried to find pictures of this particular model and haven't had any luck. I've found the 175A, B and C series but my loader doesn't look like any of them. Must be a model that was made to test changes before committing to full scale production.
I'd be thankful if one of you knowledgeable folks out there help me determine the year of a CASE 860 Trencher I'm looking to buy. It seems to be in good mechanical condition with its Cummins 3.9 Turbo diesel engine. It's equiped with a backhoe and trencher and I'm also interested in knowing what the exact horsepower and total weight for this equipment. The Serial Number (PIN) is JAF0363650. I've heard that CASE equipment can be determined with the year made by the first couple of characters in the S/N. Can someone please help me out here ?!
in my book the 860 ends at jaf0319531 which is a 2000 model, so it would be after that.
My book shows it to be a 2000 model....
I recently had a creepy man show up at my house offering me $500 for my driveway marker ~ I have a D8 Cat engine on skids that was used as a power plant to run a sawmill years ago. The engine has a 2 cyl hand crank gas pup. I am looking to identify what year the Cat engine is using the serial number on the engine itself. Everywhere I have looked it only offers info on the iron itself, not just the engine. Here is what I have and what the brass plaque says, any help would be greatly appreciated. Tractor Number 8R922 1B1928 (on bottom of the plaque) on the injection pump it says 21P1731 Im also curious how much $$ something like that would go for ...
Hi, Cat-Guys-Gurl - The "creepy man" was most likely a scrap man, and your driveway marker would sure be of a great deal of interest to him. The "Tractor Number" of 8R922 shows that this engine came from a Caterpillar D8 tractor, 8R series, that was built in early 1942 (8R is the tractor series prefix number, and 922 makes it the 922nd tractor built in that model - which was first produced in 1941). 1942 production records for the 8R series D8 shows that production ran from 8R343 to 8R2731 that year. It was a busy year for building Cat D8's, as the military forces had chosen the Cat D8 and Cat D7 as their primary big crawler tractors. Cat produced this model engine (the D13000) in Industrial form, but the serial number for D13000 engines was different to the tractor engine serial numbers, as the tractor engines used the same serial number as the tractor chassis in this era. There were about 9 different serial number prefixes for the range of D13000 Industrial engines. The value is very dependent on engine condition. For an engine that has been out in the weather for years, $500 is a good start figure. The engine is most likely stuck (internally rusted, so that it does not turn), and thus needs a lot of TLC. If the engine has been stored under cover and starts and runs, then maybe $1000 would be more like the value. There's not a lot of demand for these engines, as D8's are not popular restorations, due to the cost of moving them around. The engine may be sought by someone as a static display, that is started and run for onlookers pleasure. Once again, the sheer weight of this huge chunk of metal means that only a few people would be interested in it, for this reason. The engine, complete with pup and radiator weighs around 5,600 lbs, and this weight is what interests scrap men. The number 1B1928 is the part number of the brass plaque, and the number 21P1731 is the part number for the fuel injection pump group.
Looking for the year model of a Cat D4 serial 7U37878. Has a D4D winch and no blade - engine runs and tracks spin freely. Owner wanting $2800 for it.. want to see what model this is before going further. Can someone look that up for me?
Hi, queen of spades. I checked the Serial number guide and the D4-7U37878 was made in the US in 1956. In 1956 they made from Serial number 35570 thur 39596 in the 7U Series. Hope this helps ??
Yes, thanks - think I'll skip out on this one - hoping to find something a little newer.
Good fast reply DiggerDave! I just came back from looking this up too. At www.topbid.com , we also show that as a 1956 model. It looks like a fair price for the machine, but it looks like you've moved on. It's been quite a while since we saw this model at auction: CATERPILLAR D4 7U14036 1951 USD $4,000 (WAYNE PIKE AUCTION CO. PRINCETON, MN 6/10/2006)
I am looking for a year for this serial number 5307017 vibromax roller.
oops JKC5307017
It's a model 255 with year of manufacture 2004 according to the Top Bid Construction Equipment Serial Number Guide .
Can some one tell me if the Cat serial number indicates whether a dozer is LGP?or not Thanks
Yes, you can determine this based on the 3-character prefix according to the Caterpillar Serial Numbers in the Top Bid Serial Number Guide . We have this information in our paid guide; however if you'll post your serial number here, I'll respond with the information from the guide for that serial number.
Thanks dpaustin, Let me see if I can get it from the guy.
We revised the www.topbid.com web site to include the Used Caterpillar Cat Serial Number Prefix Identification indicating the country of origin. This information is now freely accessible. I hope it is helpful for you.
Does your guide list engine family names also, specificly for California and CARB requirements
Sorry, no this information is not available in our guides. I'm checking if I can find a central resource for this info but so far no luck. Thanks for asking!
HI, can you tell me the year on a cat backhoe serial # 4ZN21172
This is a backhoe loader 416C, 4ZN (US) prefix, year 2000 according to the Caterpillar section of the Top Bid Serial Number Guide .
I'll post my serial # cat d3 79u5713 Thank you
This shows as a prefix 79U (JAPAN) year 1979. Thanks.
Thanks for the quick reply Thanks a bunch
Hello to all. Can anyone give me information for a CASE 590SM with a serial number of JJG0288025? I am looking to buy and this has just over 1000hrs on it. Any advice on how much you would pay for a machine such as this? Thanks. George
Hi to all, Can anyone tell me the manufacturing year for komatsu D155A-3 with a serial no: 61298 ? Thanks, Sami
My book doesnt list a -3 but the last -2 was 1995
Thank you Nick, I appreciated it, but have you checked about the above serial no exactly? Thanks again Sami
I have a old Case W7 loader and I cannt find any information onthis machine, the s/n is 9802849 would you be able to look it up for me?? i am lost when it comes to this kind of stuff, i just purchased the loader last week and need to know hat i have so i can get parts, thank you
Hey, Jorgensend23. The best I can figure out is that the W7 loader is a 1966, the SN's from 1966 where 9802101 to 9804500 hope this helps you with you "new" Loader and hope about posting a pic !!!!
I bought Case backhoe few weeks ago. The product identification plate on the left hand side in the cab says 580 Super E and the serial is 9076322. Called local Case dealer and the told me the serial comes back ad Case 580D. However, the 580D still carries Case 207 engine, where the machine I have has Case Cummins 4-390 non turbo engine. Can someone look up the year and model for me? Thank you.
diggerdave1958, I bought Case backhoe few weeks ago. The product identification plate on the left hand side in the cab says 580 Super E and the serial is 9076322. Called local Case dealer and the told me the serial comes back ad Case 580D. However, the 580D still carries Case 207 engine, where the machine I have has Case Cummins 4-390 non turbo engine. Can you please look up the year and model for me? Thank you.
Oil pan heater for Cummins 4-390 engine on Case 580SE? I am in New Hampshire. I bought a case 580SE and it does have block heater installed, but there is no power cord. I am looking to buy a power cord to retrofit the block heater and I think I found one on ebay. While looking at the oil pan I have noticed that there is a second plug up right under the flange line. The oil pan plug is near the bottom, so I think this one for an oil heater. Anyone has experience with oil pan heater for Cummins 4-390 engine on Case 580SE? I've emailed my regional Cummins office asking about oil pan heater, but they are not responded back in more then a week a week. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry 4Rider, been kinda busy the last few days but I did look the numbers up for you and your 9076322 falls into the 580D year 1982 model with SN starting at 9062065 thur 9081280 and I double check that with 2 SN guides. Thanks, Diggerdave
Thank you diggerdave1958!
I am looking for the year of a d4 cat with a serial number of 6d1320 can anyone help
more info Hey, Iceman3406, I have look thur a couple of my SN guides and I can't find a D4 with a 6d series if you could give me a little more lnfo as to where it was made and if there are any other serial on the machine, Thanks and I will do the best I can !!! Thanks, Iceman I found some more info, could the 6d be a 6u ? If so it would be a 1948 year machine made in the US ???
Can anybody give me any info on a D6 serial# 9U7069? Thanks
Hey, D_EDGE, I check the SN of your D6 and the Serial #9U7069 is a 1951 model. The Serial numbers for the D6 - 9U ran from 06982 thur 09548, Hope this help you, Thanks, Diggerdave
Thanks diggerdave1958! This was my dads first dozer that he bought 27 years ago that I would love to fix up. The dang thing sat for 20 years without being run and it fired right up last year. Had to use a chainsaw to cut down the trees that were growing up through it!
D_EDGE I would like to see a pic of your D6, and they don't make um like they use too, lol Does she have a pony motor to start the diesel ?? Thanks
Yep it has the pony motor. I'll see if I can get a picture of it loaded here.
That is a nice looking 1951 D6 Think about that is a 64 year old machine and still runs, take care of it and it will keep going and going ! And Thanks for posting the pic D_EDGE !!!!!
Hey digger my 690b has no serial number, just a rivit w/ a little corner on it. I bought an oil filter for it and the threads were wrong 12 instead of 16 that they need to be. Found out prior to 588854 SN the threads were 16 which is what I have. Could you tell me whats the last year of that serial number? The guy I bought it from said "oh yeah its an 85' " I pretty sure it can't be! Thanks if you can help
Well Frodomocho1, this is a good one the last year that a JD690B was made was in 1985 and the last SN was 506075 and I can find NO 690's B,C,D or E's that have a SN Higher than 567821? so I am not sure where to go from there I will do some more checking and see what I can find. Thanks, Diggerdave
Hey guys looking at a cat 312 excavator not sure of the year as there is not an original owner to ask. Here's the serial number 6gk00426. I looked at iron record but I don't have the letters after the 312 like "312b" for example. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Hey, 90plow. I did a little research and this is what I found about your Cat 312 SN 6gk00426 it is a 1994 machine they made SN 00244 thur 00797 and it was made in Japan, Hope this Helps Thanks, Diggerdave
Is that a grey market machine then?? Thanks for the help!
312 Excavator 6GK004276 was built in Japan on 22/02/1994. It was not originally sold in the US therefore that makes it a grey market machine. You shouldn't have any issues getting parts for it in the US though.
Thanks a lot guys! That's why I love this site so much information. I think I'm going to pass as the machine has a gusset welded on the stick and looks a lot more worn than the 4,400 hours the meter shows. If it was a lot cheaper than the 26500 he's asking I would probably take a chance. Thanks again!
Can anyone help me with a year on a Case 580C. Serial # 8979053 Thanks in advance!
Hey, Truck727. Well the best I can come up with is that your 580C is a 1978 machine they made Serial Number 8969420 thur 8980715 so I hope this helps, and let see a pic of the 580C Thanks, diggerdave
Thank You very much diggerdave. I was told late 70's by the seller. I just wanted to confirm. I went ahead and bought it for $6500.
I'm looking at another older machine that the seller does not know the year. It's an Cat D5. Serial # is 96J 1111. Any idea on the year on this one? Here's a picture. They are asking $16,750. Seems reasonable to me but I'm new to buying heavy equipment. I'm just looking for some older cheaper machines to clean up some property I own and have some fun
Date of Manufacture January 1969.
That's a very interesting roll bar. Hard to tell from the picture what shape the undercarriage is in? It's all painted nice but if it needs undercarriage would cost around half the purchase price.
can somebody help 74ZOO2six8 D11N
DOM 19th July 1986
Anyone help with the year on my Case 680ck B sn: 9103658, and any ideas where to get parts?
Can anyone help me with the year on my CAT TS185 tow scraper, S/N E1R05007?
2nd May 2011.
Thanks!
Can anyone help me with the year of the CAT TS185 tow scraper, S/N E1S06001, which we just bought?
7th April 2010.
Hello gents, I purchased a Takeuchi tb135 last week, serial number # 13511636. Trying to find the year of manufacture. Was told it was a 2005 or 06. Seems to be a great machine just want to be sure and have piece of mind that everything is on the up and up. Thanks in advance for your help
Simon aerial lift I am new here, love the site,. Looking for the year of a Simon aerial lift model- AT40C Serial #X5389 Thanks 20advance
farm owner Caterpilar 96J 1704
Built late 1969.
Hello Nige, Would you happen to know the year of a takeuchi tb135, serial number 13511636? Thanks
Hi everyone I'm looking for help finding the yr of my mini excavator it's a daewoo sl 010 serial number 0386 any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance
Hello can anyone help me to look up the year of a Pettibone Crane with s/n: 085ES7238P, thanks in advance
Hello, can you help me with the year of a Pettibone Crane s/n: 085ES7238P thanks.
Hi Can anyone tell me the building year of a mobile crusher Tesab RK 1012t with a Cat engine The serial number is 07 1262 848 Thanks
Hi All, The toughquip site helped me ID the year for my Case 90XT. Thanks for the info. B-Crazy
I am looking to buy a Takeuchi TL130 Ser # 21307747 Looking for year of manufacture please.
My book says 2007.
Case dozer. 550. # JAK0014120
My source shows it to be a 1991 model year.
Thanks. I knew it was early 90's, but didn't know which year.
Hello Guys. So I am going to pick up this thread here, I purchased a Takeuchi T130, I thought. It has been repainted and had new stickers put on it. Once i found the vin plate, It said T26 series, but the plate has been painted as well and I can't make out the serial number. Does anyone know the years that the TL26 was made? I found a start year of 1986, but not an end year. Thanks
@Nige looking a purchasing a Takeuchi TB-15 excavator , would like to know the year and if its a Canada/US Model or a grey market the serial # is 1153686 , thanks in advance -Paolo
Someone else will need to answer this. I have no access to Takeuchi information.