Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Serial Number Nightmare

Auctioneer ยท 2016-01-19 23:03

Trying to figure out the year model on a D6N. www.ironrecord.com does not list the Prefix I have on this machine. S# MLW0034 Any help would greatly appreciated.....:notworthy

Replies18
  1. #1Auctioneer2016-01-19 23:40

    Sorry..... the serial number above is supposed to read MLW00344

  2. #2Nige2016-01-20 00:19

    Date of Manufacture 4th February 2011

  3. #3mitchell29052016-01-28 09:29

    I show April 2nd 2011. D6N TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR Machine Serial Number - MLW00344 (Build Date - 04/02/2011)

  4. #4seatwarmer2016-01-28 09:55

    I concur Mitch

  5. #5lantraxco2016-01-28 11:39

    Thus displaying the difference in American and European date formats. We are as usual out of step with the rest of the world. Still the Brits put the steering wheel on the wrong side, it all balances out, lol.

  6. #6Nige2016-01-28 13:37

    Caterpillar use the European system of dating (DD/MM/YYYY) therefore the date of manufacture is actually February 2011. Sorry to disappoint you all ..........

  7. #7lantraxco2016-01-28 14:10

    That Nige is really annoying, it's like he knows everything... the really annoying part is, he usually does! :notworthy

  8. #8Nige2016-01-28 16:52

    And just to prove I'm not blowing smoke - see below. I don't think there is a 25th month in any year somehow, even a Leap Year ........

  9. #9old-iron-habit2016-01-28 16:56

    I learned something today. Thanks Nige and all the rest.

  10. #10Nige2016-01-28 17:14

    I need to correct that. We Brits have the steering wheel on the right side, both literally and figuratively, of the vehicle whilst our cousins across the pond have theirs on the left (aka wrong) side ....... :tong

  11. #11lantraxco2016-01-28 17:40

    LOL, do you mount horses from the right side then as well?

  12. #12mitchell29052016-01-29 07:31

    Learned something new today.

  13. #13John C.2016-01-29 16:52

    Everything in Cat records that I have access to shows the dates concerning manufacture, delivery or service dates as 25 Jan 2011. I don't recall the last time I saw a strictly numerical date in a Cat record.

  14. #14Nige2016-01-29 17:25

    The date in my post #9 above was taken straight from a Cat system but I do agree with you that using 3 letters as an abbreviation for the month is the best way to make reading the date unequivocal.

  15. #15mitchell29052016-01-29 17:52

    Mine was taken from a Cat system as well.

  16. #16grandpa2016-01-29 17:59

    Well so who is correct?

  17. #17Cmark2016-01-29 18:46

    Everyone is correct. The date format is actually a personal choice set through the SIS preferences screen.

  18. #182machine2016-01-29 21:04