Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Serial numbers and manuals for D4C

corn farmer ยท 2015-11-17 21:13

I have a D4C with a serial number that starts with 6YL0 and all the operators manuals I find on ebay say serial number 6YL1 and up. Have I got a rare dozer or am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Old Magnet2015-11-17 23:05

    6YL is the proper designation. To keep the four digit numbers early units would start with 0001 to 0100 then up to 1000 and on to the 2325 + for the total number produced. Starting out at "0" doesn't make sense for Cat numbering. Maybe miss stamped.

  2. #2corn farmer2015-11-17 23:08

    Thanks!

  3. #3Nige2015-11-18 04:14

    6YL1-Up on the cover of the manuals is Caterpillar's shorthand for 6YL00001-Up. 6YL is a D4C Series III where production only started in 1994. For that age of machine it would have a 17 character PIN Number using 5 digits after the prefix stamped using the format 6YLxxxxx. With the highest S/N produced only being 2502 every 6YL machine will have a zero as the 1st digit of the S/N.

  4. #4CatofAmerica2015-11-18 11:07

    I have sent you a message. Chances are that your machine is a 96/97 because I have one of a similar number range.