Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Server Upgrade

Steve Frazier ยท 2007-12-31 01:37

I was notified tonight that we've outgrown our server and the site as been moved to a temporary server. During this time we may experience performance problems such as slow page loading or other issues. Please bear with us, after New Year's we'll be looking in to moving to a dedicated server and there may be some down time as that happens. I'll try to keep you all informed as things progress. I'll also look in to upgrading the vBulletin program, there is a newer version available with some more features. Thanks for your patience during this time, we'll get things up to snuff as soon as possible. Steve

Replies17
  1. #1DirtHauler2007-12-31 03:01

    Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it. There is no better compliment than when people spread the word about a good thing. I hope the site is at least generating enough revenue to cover the increased cost and the transfer cost. :thumbsup

  2. #2Squizzy246B2007-12-31 03:36

    yep, and all the back pay for the moderators................

  3. #3digger242j2007-12-31 03:38

    Well, that explains why I had trouble getting on the site earlier. It's kinda like the resturaunt owner I've done some work for, expanding his parking lot. He complained that he was losing business because he was running out of parking spaces. That's the kind of problem that you like to have...

  4. #4Squizzy246B2007-12-31 03:50

    I'm not sure if its all the new members coming here or is it just all the frivolous meaningless posts that...........errr.......Ummm

  5. #5Countryboy2007-12-31 04:38

    It's like Christmas all over again. :woohoo

  6. #6digger242j2007-12-31 06:15

    Double what ya got last year. :yup (And I got double that )

  7. #7Steve Frazier2007-12-31 12:14

    I was working the snow last night when the site went down. Apparently it was while they moved us to the temporary server. I had an email waiting for me from the server company explaining what had happened and why. I guess this is a good problem!!

  8. #8surfer-joe2008-01-01 00:22

    Yeah, I ran into some of those problems tonight about five minutes ago. Guess it's time to fold the tent and go watch TV for a while.

  9. #9Northart2008-01-01 08:43

    Problems ? Okay, I see it is at the other end. I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the update. Hope everything goes OKay.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2008-01-01 23:16

    It seems a few glitches in the vBulletin program have popped up about the same time as the move to the temporary server. Please bear with us a few days longer while we get things stabilized.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2008-01-03 15:31

    WE'RE BACK!!! The new server is up and running. Please report any difficulties you may have here. I'm pretty sure we've restored the settings to the order we had them before the move. Thanks for your patience!!

  12. #12wethead2008-01-03 16:49

    If there is any GEEKS , like me out there Here is a screen shot of the stats from the database import Over 1.5 million lines were imported :usa

  13. #13Steve Frazier2008-01-03 16:58

    I want to extend a huge thank you to wethead who made this move possible. Although he's a new member, he's taken a keen interest in the Board and offered to help out with our problem. Thank you wethead!! :salute :notworthy :drinkup

  14. #14Cat4202008-01-03 19:33

    Between wethead and whoever your host is, that was about as painless as I've seen in a while. I've been on some other sites that were down for weeks when switching servers :notworthy

  15. #15Countryboy2008-01-03 20:51

    I know exaaactly what you're talking about. I want to Thank You for your help with getting the site back going wet head. :drinkup I also want to Thank You Steve, for taking the time to make things right, very quickly I might add, at a time when you had alot on your shoulders. Just goes to show how dedicated you are to obtaining your goals with the site and making this forum a great place for heavy equipment professionals to communicate. :drinkup :drinkup

  16. #16MKTEF2008-01-04 11:26

    We all owe you one Steve and Wethead.:drinkup :drinkup But i miss some posts done during the trouble and moving. Will they come forward later, or are they lost? yours sincerely Mktef

  17. #17Steve Frazier2008-01-04 11:50

    There are a few hours worth of posts that are lost, I didn't realize I needed to shut down the Board sooner than I did. We had no warning from the previous server that we had a problem, they were threatening to shut us down permanently and the Board was in danger of crashing so things got a little crazy. If we had had more time to prepare, we may have been able to save those posts.