i have decided that i am getting 2013 ford f150 fx4 ecoboost max trailer tow crew cab and a 16 foot 8 foot wide tool trailer 10000lbs payload 100 gallon desiel tanks i was going to put a mill trail blazer air pak. i was trying to figurer out what else i need on the welding and metal working end. What are the tool that i should have to start to take care of the equiment that we have. has anybody set up a service trailer before. thanks for the help
what type of equipment do u have/need to service?? mostly local service/repair? or outa town jobsites?
we have 4 execrator, 5 skid steer loaders, forklifts, 3 550 dump truck, one kenworth 6 wheeler, 2 trailers, and attacment for the mechines. i am also puting basic wood working and excivation tool on the trailer
I have done planes on the lay out of the trailers. A 12 foot trailer fits everything but no room is left. A 14 foot fits it with space to spare. Is the 12 foot to small to back up I drive a 35 foot tag along for equipment but I've heard smaller trailers are harder to drive
its more of a problem with a single axle vrs tandem axle a single axle trailer will tend to cut alot sharper than a tandem of that length
Are you talking a flatbed or enclosed trailer? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Enclosed cargo gvw 12000lbs 7 x12 or 7x14 for a welding and tool trailer Carmate 12in on center cross members
Put a heavy workbench in there with a vise. If you build it right you can put your toolbox under it. I'd put a torch in there for sure. And a 2 wheeler for loading and unloading heavy parts. I know you want that trailblazer inside but they are super annoying to listen to in a trailer. I'd build an enclosure for it with external opening doors if possible. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I was putting a miller big blue 400 deluxe Dynastar 350 tig welder 875 spectrum 25cfm air compressor 100 gallon diesel tanks Reels for all the Leeds
I wouldn't use any truck small than a 3/4 ton for daily hard use, especially pulling a 16' enclosed.
The f150 is rated to tow 12000lbs
service truck the 150 will be a pig ,you will end up using the 550's to haul it
The f150 has the same power as the 550 450 hp and 500ftlb
your good then...
With what you are talking, go with at least a 3/4 ton. You may think you are good now with what you plan on putting in the trailer but you will always find more thing to put in it. You will love having the extra capacity.
towing isn't about power, takes weight to move weight. Otherwise the heavy object usually takes the lead especially on a tag trailer
The F550 has more brake.
F550 is only 500ftlb? They may have the same power but the 150 has probably 3.73's or taller, the F550's come with 4.88 or 5.13's. I agree with going 3/4 ton, ford offers a optional 4.30 gear behind the 6.2 gas motor in the new 3/4 ton trucks. If I remember right they rate them to tow something crazy like 16k.
Ok... Might even look into a gooseneck trailer shadow2. They will pull & handle better than the bumper hitch. I'm thinking something like a what I call a "race car trailer". www.fthr.com/products/car-trailers/gooseneck Carmate has some nice trailers www.carmate-trailers.com My local trailer builder also offers a gooseneck cargo rigg www.cornprotrailers.com/CargoGooseneckHitch.html
I tow a 7x14 enclosed full of carpentry type tools and a small hardware store pretty regular with an F350 single rear tire. I would not want a smaller truck. Your mileage may vary.
i already own the f150. we have a 350 dump truck with a **** bed on it. 6.0 only rated to tow 9000lbs would that be better at towing the trailer even though it is rated 3000lbs less then the f150 it is a broken 6.0 so i would have to repair the engine what goes it to that and is it worth it. i would not get a goose neck because the 550 and kw are pintail hooks going on the idea the you need weight to move a tag trailer the how dose the kw that weigh 20000lbs move a 50000lbs trailer this truck tow over double its weight so why cat the f150 that weight 6000lbs tow less the double it weight a 11000lbs.
Well, one factor is, if you are doing it right, the KW isn't towing 50,000, it's carrying a good part of it; just like the f150 should be carrying part of it's trailer. Are you sure the f350 is only rated to tow 9000lbs? It should be rated to tow a good bit more than that.
the KW loads the tandems evenly. doing it will not unload the steer axle. A 5th wheel trailer or goose neck will load drive axle and the steer axle, not teeter totter weight off of the steers and onto the drives. Also the kenworth and trailer probably already weigh 40K as a combo. theres a reason it can do it with just as much HP as your f-150 too. I find it hard to believe your F-350 only has a 9K tow rating? also the rating on your F-150 will no doubt be with weight distribution hitch, which is a royal PAIN IN THE AZZ to deal with on an every day basis.
I put our 10000lbs 35 foot tag trailer be hide the truck no problem stoping or going no boucing of the rear end haddle the trailer fine
I've pulled a 4500 lb lawn service trailer with an F150 and it was a pain to stop. There is a reason you don't see many excavation contractors use 1/2 ton trucks for heavy work. Your gonna eat brakes and you'll most likely have a great view of the sky cause your rear end will be dragging. Do it right or don't do it at all.
I had an 08 f 150 that I would not tow with it 2200 lbs payload 8200 lbs gvw both my f 150 and a 250 have 14.25in rotors The 13 that I bought is built like a 3/4 ton Class 5 hitch Upgraded breaks Intergreted break controller Transmission cooler Bigger radiator Oil cooler Upgraded steering and cooler All from the factory it is better equipped to tow then some 3/4 to on the only difference in the badge on the side I know about doing it right the truck i bought is built to tow if the trailer is to heavy i will tow it with the kw i wanted a smaller more full efficient truck that could work. My friend who bought a new 350 has only gotten 4 miles to the gallon with no weight in the bed or towing. My truck with 600lbs in the bed is getting 18 miles to the gallon for the times i tow the truck can do it. 30000$ difference in purchase price along with horrendous fuel millage is why I have this truck. I own a kw that get the same mileage as the 350 I need a truck that can drive every where and tow the trailer
It should be noted that not all F150s are created equal. Lets roll the clocks back a few years... in 96 the new "round nose" body style came out but ford wasn't ready with the super duty platform so the heavier pickups soldiered on in the more square 95 down body with a "heavy duty" badge on the fender. Ford made a "light duty" F250 new body with bigger springs, brakes, and seven stud wheels. Some time after the launch of the super duty chassis in '98, they dropped the light duty 250 and renamed it the 7700 package as that was its gvwr. I believe this package is still available and I also think this is the kind of truck discussed so it's not exactly a grocery getter. I would still rather have a bigger truck but they can carry more payload than a regular f150. P.S. the seven stud wheels is how ya spot em in the wild. They sit a little higher also.
I am making steel shelf in the trailer I know for the heavy tool I have to use 10 gauge steel. For the lighter cordless tool can u get away with 22 gauge steel to keep the weight down. The maximum span of the self will be 13 in wide 20 in deep. The will be a boxed from of 1x2 as the support structure
i was think that i might have to do two trail one that is set up with the welder and tools anther that is set up as a fuel and lube trail. i have the tool trailer layout down but have no idea were to start on the lube trailer. i was looking at 50 weight oil, hydraulic oil, 15w 40. 5w20, anti freeze in 60 gallon tanks. 500 gallons of diesel. and 200 gallons of wast oil. air power grease gun how would the pumps and hoses be set up fill rite dose not make pumps for oil.
we just had a fire at one house. not our fault chimney had a hole in it. it showed me that i have to rethink my idea on the tool trailer or service truck. the most important that i need a the fire scene was light, power, air, ladders, and wood the f150 with the trailer would hold everything but the wood and ladders so should i build up and old 350 dually 6.0 towing capacity 12000lbs with a flat bed and lumber rack and the tool trailer or should i get a 550 service truck to hold every thing the thing with the new truck is i can't do the scene lights on it do to warranty issues