Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Service truck DOT regulation questions

excavator ยท 2015-02-05 17:00

I have a question for you guys that are self employed and running a service truck. How do you manage all the government regulations that have appeared over the last few years regarding having a CDL and also a truck with a DOT number ect? It seems that every few months there is another email ect. saying that something or other is due from the government. Today it's the SCAC (Standard Carrier Alpha Code) that is supposedly due. A few weeks ago it was mandatory drug testing for all employee's. I run 1 service truck, rarely ever get out of the county much less out of Washington state. I have no employee's so how much of this applies to me? Does anyone know where to find info on what is actually required? I feel like some of the emails are 2nd party companies just looking for a way to make money but I'm also afraid that I may be missing something and when caught it's going to cost me a lot of money. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1Former Wrench2015-02-05 17:27

    Try contacting Sherrie Bond. She is director of the Northwest Log Truckers Cooperative. If she does not know, I am sure she would know who, Good Luck.

  2. #2monster762015-02-05 19:22

    Allot of it is third party scams that scan dot numbers and try to take your money. Interstate andintrastate have very differnt rules and regs best thing you can do.is go on your dot web page and look up the rules and regs for.yourself

  3. #3overworked2015-02-05 19:34

    I keep getting reminders at the check station. Always a yes sir and no sir and I wasn't aware of that, no tickets so far, when you see those lights a blinking it makes you wonder what will be next.

  4. #4mowingman2015-02-06 12:03

    I am in the same situation, but with a grapple truck. I decided a while back to ignore all emails and phone calls about US DOT matters and Texas DMV matters, UNLESS, they refer me to the official websites of these two regulatory agencies. Once you have gotten an account set up with your state, and the feds, you can do everything online. All the other stuff you are contacted about is 3rd parties trying to make a buck off of you.

  5. #5ericscher2015-02-08 02:17

    I have the same issue here in Ohio. The weight breaks are a PITA to figure out and I am still not sure if I'm obligated to put a DOT number on my truck. My opinion is that legislative bodies and regulatory agencies feel like they have to legislate and regulate just to justify their existence. Whether what they do is harmful or beneficial doesn't seem to be part of the equation.