Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Service truck referb project

DefenderHD · 2019-03-09 10:40

I’ve pondered the idea of ordering a new Pete with a 14’ Brutus body to replace my current 2008. But I can’t justify spending the 250k plus. So I’ve decided to refurbish the one I have. I will post pictures of the project as often as possible.

Replies18
  1. #1DefenderHD2019-03-09 10:43

    I have removed all door seals, drawer packs and started with wiring. I can’t remove to much wiring as I am still using the crane. To remove the welder, rear cover and the old used oil tank.

  2. #2DefenderHD2019-03-09 15:26

    I am cutting the original cover mount rails back to accommodate a big fuel tank, waste and fresh oil tanks. Then I am going to put a “firewall” and still have a 8’ covered storage area with a cargo roll out bed.

  3. #3DefenderHD2019-03-09 15:28

    I removed the welder from the rear and mounting it where my air compressor unit was. I am also going to a Miller airpack combo instead of having a diesel driven air compressor as well as a welder. Less engines to service and keep running the better.

  4. #4DefenderHD2019-03-09 16:27

    Got it all cut out. Ready to test fit the diesel tank.

  5. #5DefenderHD2019-03-09 20:39

    Ready to start plumbing fresh oil, oxy/acet, air and power to the compartment above the wheel well on drivers side.

  6. #6funwithfuel2019-03-10 20:57

    That's not a refurb, that's a remodel! Well thought out. Sounds like real judicious use of space.

  7. #7CM19952019-03-10 21:05

    Nice - can't wait to see the finished product.

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-03-10 21:09

    Should hijack ultimate service truck thread when you're done. 08, what level of emissions you at, DPF&EGR?

  9. #9DefenderHD2019-03-11 06:12

    Thanks for the comments. I purchased the truck 3 years ago and did a bit of work to it then. I always wanted to do more to the body but I either didn’t have time or the truck was working. So finally I decided if I take it apart it would just have to get finished. The truck is a 2008 with a pacar PX-8. It did have at one time EGR and DPF but being that I am in Alberta it’s all removed and back to TIER zero I am spending endless time looking online on what colour to go with. I have one in mind but I am not sure if I will like it forever. I would like something that stands out from the rest. Any pictures of some neat trucks would be appreciated. Cheers

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-03-11 06:43

    Have you checked out the thread, "ultimate service truck " lots of cool rigs. Lots of good ideas. Some guys getting more done with flat beds and job boxes than I ever imagined. Lots of different paint schemes too, of course basic white is prevalent

  11. #11Vetech632019-03-11 06:43

    You should paint it pink and show your support for healthy boobies. The women would be lining up for you. I have thought about doing it myself!

  12. #12DefenderHD2019-03-11 06:48

    Haha can’t say I’ve thought of painting it pink. I did check out ultimate service truck. There are some very nice service trucks out there.

  13. #13DefenderHD2019-03-31 14:54

    -Here I removed one set drawers and raised the one set of drawer packs 5” to allow for the heater. It used to be on top of a shelf and the tools wouldn’t get warm. -I decided to put a fire wall I guess you could call it. It separates the rear cargo area that is 8’ deep. Ahead of it will be a 200G diesel tank, 55G fresh oil and 55G used oil -The roll out is 4x8 feet. I put screen and the rear and along the side to prevent stuff from falling behind it when rolled out. As well it works to secure pails, propane bottle...etc. I also put my chain hangers on a rack that comes out with the roll out. I ordered a custom truxedo soft cover to cover that area.

  14. #14DefenderHD2019-03-31 14:57

    I will get a better picture off the roll out tomorrow when I am working on it again. I am almost worried that I will need another axle under it soon for all the stuff I am adding to it. ‍♂️

  15. #15funwithfuel2019-03-31 15:00

    Just out of curiosity, how much weight are you allowed on a single drive in the up north up there? Oh, and your work looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

  16. #16DefenderHD2019-03-31 15:13

    We are allowed 7300kg on the steers and 9100kg on the rears. Thanks for the compliment funwithfuel

  17. #17DefenderHD2019-04-08 23:42

    The old rear bumpers were all dented from backing into stuff and also from getting pushed around by dozer blades when stuck ‍♂️ I really like how aggressive the grating Is so I decided to put it in the section I mostly use. I find that in the winter this grating works best.

  18. #18simonsrplant2019-06-22 01:02

    Nice work Looking forward to seeing more Where in Alberta are you located?