Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Servicing Hitachi EX160LC

AKR ยท 2016-09-13 05:18

Hi, I'm not sure what year this excavator is. Probably about 10 or 15 years old. It's my brother-in-law's and he's never serviced it before and isn't sure where the service manual is. I can't find one online without paying for it. I'm wondering how to check the grease level for the turntable, and how to add more. Also, I found the panel with the hydraulic oil level (which is definitely low), but I'm not sure how to add more. Then, there's a dip stick between the fuel tank and the cab (I think it's the swing motor). The oil is at the first notch. Is there anything else I should check and keep an eye on? Thanks Oh, I'll include a few pictures.

Replies8
  1. #1garyw2016-09-13 16:50

    Firstly, the hydraulic oil should be checked with the arm fully out, the bucket fully closed and on the ground. There's 2 round plates on top of the tank. One plate has the return filter underneath. Put the oil in the other one. Secondly, there should be a plate with 2 bolts holding it on. It's located somewhere around the boom cylinder bottom pins. not 100% where but it won't be far from that area/ The level is normally about half way up the ring gear. Don't overfill it as it come sometimes force grease up by the swing device pinion seal if its overfilled too much. And lastly, the swing device( the dipstick you mentioned) Should have oil between the lower and upper mark. It's a 80w90 gear oil and should be changed every 1000hrs

  2. #2Dutchcat2016-09-13 16:56

    A good service manual is worth is weight in gold, even the most small repairs due to lack of service are more expensive than a decent manual Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  3. #3John C.2016-09-13 18:49

    You can check YouTube for a video showing maintenance on a Komatsu excavator. All excavators in the small to mid size range are very similar as far as maintenance goes. There will be differences at times in types of fluids used in each compartment. https://youtu.be/papdAwY5wxo

  4. #4AKR2016-09-13 21:22

    Thanks, everyone, for the replies. The guy at the shop had a hard time finding my exact machine on the computer, but he gave me Chevron Rando HD 32 hydraulic oil and said I could use that for both the hydraulic tank on the side of the excavator and the swing motor (with the dip stick). Is this right, or do I need motor oil?

  5. #5AKR2016-09-13 22:20

    Ok, I checked the turntable grease and the gears have grease, but the level looks really low. The guy gave me a couple 14 oz tubes of Chevron Ultra Duty Grease EP. Is that the right grease? I'm definitely going to need more than two tubes. Should I put a tube in, spin the body, put another tube it, etc?

  6. #6chickenminer2016-09-14 01:27

    AKR... The swing gear, pump transmission and travel gears should all have 80/90W gear oil. I've got the service manual for my EX200LC-3 on disc. Should be just about the same as your machine when it comes to maintenance. PM me with your address if you would like a copy.

  7. #7AKR2016-09-14 09:35

    Oh, woops, garyw mentioned the 80w90 gear oil and I missed it. For the swing gear, I assume you mean the motor with the dip stick? And then the turntable grease - will that Ultra Duty EP work for that? If my brother and law doesn't end up finding his service manual, I may take you up on your offer. I appreciate it.

  8. #8chickenminer2016-09-14 18:34

    Okay... just let me know if you need it. Well the swing drive motor runs off the main hydraulic system. What you are checking with the dipstick is the gearbox. Yes it takes 90W gear lube. The grease you have will work fine for the turntable. Just grease up the gear you can see, turn a little and grease more until make a 360.