Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Setting float on d-5

trapperbo ยท 2009-04-08 20:32

I was wondering how to set the float on the blade on a d5. I am currently 16 and am going to vocational school and taking heavy equipment operations and was wondering how to do that because my teacher never went over it with us. thanks in advance.

Replies8
  1. #1stumpjumper832009-04-08 20:39

    All you really do is push the blade controll all the way foreward, there should be a detent that you have to go past. The float circut contols only the raise and lower, you will still have to adjust the tilt and angle as you go

  2. #2CascadeScaper2009-04-08 20:40

    Push the blade control lever/stick all the way forward. It'll hit a detent and click into place. This will leave the blade in float until you pull back up on the stick and kick it out of the detent.

  3. #3trapperbo2009-04-08 20:44

    Thanks guys I understand now.

  4. #4Beel2009-04-12 22:41

    What is float position? :beatsme Sorry but new guy here. :idontgetit

  5. #5Steve Frazier2009-04-12 23:11

    Float means the blade isn't being held in place by hydraulics, the hydraulic pressure is released and the blade floats on the ground following the existing contour.

  6. #6Beel2009-04-12 23:20

    I have only operated a D6 and D8 a handfull of times hoggin dirt. I am no operator by any means. But curios to learn. When pushing the blade stick all the forward, doesn't that lift the front of your tracks? Are these float functions not available on a D6 or 8? Sorry for being so ignorant buy very curious to learn. :notworthy

  7. #7willie592009-04-12 23:25

    push the blade stick forward, and then a little more, then you'll find the blade float position, it's there. If not, your linkage is out of adjustment.

  8. #8trapperbo2009-04-13 09:44

    I tried it the other day when I was on the dozer, and it worked like a charm!