Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Setting pressures thumb – volvo ecr 58

invictus911 ยท 2023-11-02 17:18

Hey guys, just finished installing a thumb on my ecr 58. I have gauges but im not sure where to find pressure adjustments and whether or not it has relief valves set up. Any help greatly appreciated

Replies18
  1. #1uffex2023-11-03 08:10

    Good day If you have connected the positive cylinder side to A3 use the two step port relief Pd. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2invictus9112023-11-03 08:30

    So I should adjust the pressure only on the positive side of the thumb cylinder to manufacture specification? And this relief will allow the thumb to close under bucket load? Thanks for picture, greatly appreciated

  3. #3uffex2023-11-03 11:51

    Good day The most important for a thumb cylinder is relief for the positive side (Piston side), the bucket cylinder can over pressure the thumb cylinder when grasping material. You can off course lower the rod side however it is unlikely to become over pressured. You may note that the relief valve in question is dual level, a pilot line to the valve makes the pressure level dependent on if the pilot line is active or not. I suggest you adjust the level sufficient to hold material but low enough to allow creep when the bucket cylinder is run against the thumb. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2023-11-03 12:37

    Good day The attached explanation may be of help. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5IceHole2023-11-03 13:48

    I need to fix mine, have to run the thumb if I want to curl the bucket.

  6. #6uffex2023-11-04 07:41

    Good day Not to sure what the issue is, if you can explain a little I will try to help out. Kind reggards Uffex

  7. #7IceHole2023-11-04 16:17

    I just need to adjust it one of these days.

  8. #8invictus9112023-11-07 12:37

    I'm having trouble matching the supplied mcv diagram to my block. I attached a picture of what I believe is correct.

  9. #9uffex2023-11-07 13:44

    Good day see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10invictus9112023-11-07 14:11

    Ok I see the line, but it looks to me like a junction connector for the hose, How does one adjust the pressure on that fitting. I attached a close up picture. Thank you very much

  11. #11uffex2023-11-07 15:02

    Good day See attached. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #12invictus9112023-11-08 12:54

    Ok, I disconnected the signal line hooked pressure gauge to it. I have about 200 psi, and it goes to 0 only when I change to hammer function. With the signal hose disconnected I can still actuate the thumb up and down and the pressure on the signal does not change when I use the thumb. I do not have full diagrams to understand the function of the signal in relation the thumb but I'm looking for a way to confirm this is the right circuit before I adjust. I am assuming to hook pressure gauge to the thumb supply line and check pressure while adjusting the dual relief. What do you think?

  13. #13uffex2023-11-08 13:56

    Good day I pretty sure you are working with the "A" version, as the high pressure is of little interest to your thumb adjust for high pressure to suit your thumb only. The small hose should have servo pressure about 500-600 psi at hammer selection. Low pressure can be bottomed, so in effect you have a single level relief valve. I hope this straightens and misunderstanding. Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14invictus9112023-11-10 10:40

    Morning, I adjusted both parts of the pressure adjuster and I got no change on either thumb circuit hose pressure. Pressure is set at 3400psi currently. Any words of wisdom? Thanks Erik

  15. #15uffex2023-11-10 11:06

    Good day Erik Please follow the line from A3 port be sure that it connects to the positive side of the thumb cylinder, when you measure the pressure make sure you are operating the thumb to close. If you are not sure back the relief out so that you have a case of lost pressure much safer than winding in. Kind regards Uffex

  16. #16invictus9112023-11-10 13:26

    Let me clarify, I followed a3, it goes to the positive side of the cylinder. The positive side when pressurized should close the thumb correct? That is how it is hooked up. The pressure gauge is on the positive side line coming out of A3. That is the side that closes the thumb correct ?

  17. #17uffex2023-11-10 14:23

    Good day Erik Yes what you are describing is correct, back out the adjustments you should loose all pressure. Kind regards Uffex

  18. #18invictus9112023-11-10 16:08

    Hello, I have successfully set the pressure to 1800 psi and the bucket is able to curl backwards, I set it so it has some bite but will overcome the thumb for holding pressure. Just want to say thank you very much, your the man.... appreciate your help. Now I know about these pressure relief setups.... good stuff.