Now that I have my track tension adjuster repaired on my Komatsu D31 loader I'm ready to set the tension. The local shop told me what the tension should be. I was curious what process others used to set theirs. The last time I adjusted mine I used the loader/bucket to lift the front of the track up off the ground and then pumped grease into the jack. At the time I thought this way presented less stress during adjustment. Now I'm not so sure.
Did you check the up and down movement of the idler to see if this is what is breaking the retainers off ? You can imagine if it has a lot of movement , this will lever on the ram which is fixed .
I haven't checked the up and down movement of the idler wheel yet. I'm not sure how to check that. Maybe lift the front of the loader by lowering the bucket to check for downward movement, and drive the front of the tracks onto a log to check for upward movement? Heres is a pic ( before I fixed the spring bracket) that shows a large bracket that the ram to the idler wheel goes under. This bracket looks like it would limit upward movement of the ram. This bracket is connected to the loader main frame. Do you think this is the bracket I need to shim? There is another piece infront of this bracket(not pictured) that looks like it would limit downward movement of the ram
I haven't checked the up and down movement of the idler wheel yet. I'm not sure how to check that. Maybe lift the front of the loader by lowering the bucket to check for downward movement, and drive the front of the tracks onto a log to check for upward movement? Heres is a pic ( before I fixed the spring bracket) that shows a large bracket that the ram to the idler wheel goes under. This bracket looks like it would limit upward movement of the ram. This bracket is connected to the loader main frame. Do you think this is the bracket I need to shim? There is another piece infront of this bracket(not pictured) that looks like it would limit downward movement of the ram http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/dcara/fullspring001-1.jpg
The way I've always checked my track tension is as follows: Track machine back and forwards in length of machine. Last on the track movement forwards then park. You can see by the way the track hangs off of the top roller/s if the tracks need tensioning. Take a straight edge that will sit on the track between the idler and top roller. Measure from the straight edge to the track surface, should say in your manual what the ideal measurement shoud be but I've always gone for between 2"-1" or there abouts. Pump up the track if required, track back and forwards again then recheck. You get an eye for it in the end and can just do it by looking with no nee to measure. Hope this helps
Thanks I checked and my specs are for 0.75-1 inch of droop.