Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shackles and rigging

dog ยท 2015-03-04 23:29

Hi All, This is my first post and I'm attempting to set up my boom truck for lifting HVAC units. Do you know what length straps I should buy and what size shackles?..I believe due to the different HVAC roof units I need to carry two different size shackles to fit into the metal rails of the RTU's? (4 each of what size?) Thanks for any input!

Replies11
  1. #1Knocker of rock2015-03-05 00:12

    You need to buy a lot

  2. #2lantraxco2015-03-05 02:05

    You can never buy enough rigging. Some spreader bars might come in handy also.

  3. #3Dualie2015-03-05 02:47

    agreed, never have enough rigging. 4x 12' 2 plys are a good start, and 4x 4.5 ton shackles, 4x 2.5 ton, two 6' endless loops two 8' endless loops, 2x 25'ers and everything else in the rigging store.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-03-05 08:18

    Get a rigging manual. They are cheap and can save lives. Your rigging supplier should have some free booklets covering the chokers he sells you and they typically show the choker strength in various rigging situations. Chokers and shackles have a lot of different strength characteristics depending on how they are used. For example using chokers pulling at flatter than 45 degrees decreases the strength significantly to where if they are down to 15 degrees they have only 10% the lift capacity. Not understanding rigging can and does get many people killed and injured every year.

  5. #5Knocker of rock2015-03-05 10:20

    There are some proprietary lifting fixtures for HVAC's also.

  6. #6brewchief2015-03-07 22:07

    I'm an HVAC guy so I've dealt with the other end of things, some units have a pretty small rigging hole so you are limited to about a 5/16 shackle, most are a little bigger and are more like a 7/16 or 1/2" shackle. On smaller units a 10' or 12' strap is about right, a little longer on larger units is nice and will reduce or eliminate the need for spreader bars. Rigging instructions that come with every unit will have weight, corner weight and COG, I think every unit I've ever set also called for spreader bars but I've yet to see them used. Some Lennox units have a lift point that's a 1/2" threaded bolt hole, the units come with a set of plates that have a 1/2' hole in one end and a large hole for a shackle in the other end, grabbing a set off an old unit would be a good idea if you get the chance as they are frequently missing from old units. There are some units with no rigging points that will need a choker type setup to lift so be prepared for that as well. FWIW many HVAC guys will not know any of the proper hand symbols, talk to them first so you are both on the same page, a simple printed card with the basic hand symbols wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

  7. #7dog2015-03-07 23:03

    Thanks, all the reply's are very helpful! Brewman good thinking as I just ordered some of those cards for the HVAC dummy's...just kidding! Your correct about the Little shackles for some of those HVAC units they are smaller and I didn't know the possible size so thank you! Do you think the straps are nylon or polyester?

  8. #8dog2015-04-04 23:50

    OK boys it took another month but I got the goods and we are ready to go. I was thinking should I get some spreader bars?? Also Brewchief, I am a HVAC guy also so I hope you didn't mind my little dig on the past post!

  9. #9AKSNOW2015-04-05 00:38

    You probably fall under OSHA construction so would need to be certified and your truck is supposed to have the hand signals on it. They sell special ones for the exterior that last in weather and are sticky backed. Also, don't use non USA stamped shackles or rigging as it is not tested or certified.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-04-05 09:21

    Yes, you are going to need spreader bars for picking some HVAC units. You may be better off renting them on a as need basis as they can get spendy and one size does not fit all. Many crane and construction companies have them and will rent them out.

  11. #11AKSNOW2015-04-05 13:26

    We use a couple of adjustable spreader bars from Caldwell lifting solutions that might be nice to have on board. I think they have ones from 2 to 20 tons so I'm sure they have one that might fit your needs.