Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shallow well with a skid steer.

stefuel ยท 2023-04-13 20:00

Prior to buying a skid steer, I have made many attempts to "drive" a shallow well point on my land with no luck. I am told I have plenty of water at the 20 foot mark but have broken at least 3 points trying to drive through a nasty band of clay at about the 10 foot mark. Curious if anyone has had luck drilling a 20 foot hole with a skid steer???

Replies3
  1. #1Legdoc2023-04-13 21:30

    Do you have access to a hydraulic auger attachment?

  2. #2Delmer2023-04-13 23:44

    I've got a hand auger post hole digger that would do 20' with enough pipe extensions. For a clay layer, I'd jet through it with a water pump attached to a pipe. If you have sand above, you'd need to use a clay or cement if you're augering a hole, if there's sand in the water level, a driven point will work, or you could try sinking a screen as you go, but that would be tricky.

  3. #3stefuel2023-04-14 06:10

    There is a place local that rents skid steer attachments. I was thinking the smallest bit they have along with 4-5 extensions would do it. Just curious if anyone here had actually done it.