Hi, Folks. I guess you could call this a 'Favourites' question but I'll put it another way. Is there a make/model of dozer that is no longer in production that you wish was still being produced?
D8 2Us forever! I wish they were still producing the D8 2U. There is nothing quite like the thrill of sitting in the seat and feeling that 13000 pulsing and throbbing and knowing that all it takes is the moving of a couple levers to put all that grunt to work. :notworthy
Well being a corn fan TD 15, 20 and 25 all C models Cat D8 46A and D9E AC HD15 and 20
High horse D7E with electric start:usa !!!!!!! For me.
I'll even post some pics
G,day Deas, I aint no operator of Dozers but they still all look a little funny to me without a tree pusher. Do any of the factories still make them with a tree pusher?
Tree pushers??????????????????????????????? Hi, Squizzy. To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer of crawler tractors ever did make a tree pusher as standard equipment for any of their models. (I do stand to be corrected on this if anybody can prove different.) ALL the tree pushers I ever saw were after-market attachments. There was a quite wide range of qualities of tree pushers made by almost literally squillions of different attachment manufacturers and many home-made efforts as well. If I had my own computer, (it's in for an upgrade, from an 80 Gb hard drive to an 800 Gb hard drive - all those photos that I collect) I could post some photos for you, but what the hell, you know what a tree pusher looks like.
Thanks Deas, I expect the dealers had them knocked up. I remember coming to the big smoke and seeing all those D8's lined up at Wigmores (now Westrac) with there pushers up in the air showing off their Teeth. Now that I come to think of it, our local operator...a guy by the name of Eric Stretfield....had an 8 with a very roughly fashioned pusher......then again, must things about Eric where pretty rough....right down to his barb wire boot laces and a piece of 6" bore casing masquerading as a muffler on his old Commer Low Loader. Apologies for slight de-railment...carry on!
I wish that TD-6's were still in production. We've got a TD-6 4in1 loader that is just an amazing machine. It'll do anything go anywhere and for most people's uses it's plenty of machine. Also the TD-7 unless the new Dressta's are actually decent I haven't had a chance to take a look at them or hear whether they are worth anything. The old International TD-7's were great they had plenty of power, were great grading dozers and best of all light enough to tow behind a one ton.
I agree. I'm a D8 2U fan as well. The ones I ran were cable jobs, and I think it made an operator out of a man back then, when you could fine grade with those old beasts. Makes these dozers of today like sitting in your chair playing X Box. I also miss the AC HD 21. What a beast. Terex with the naturally asperated 8V71 Detroit sounded good. You could hear it from a good, long way away. Saw one working (playing,) at Sharon Springs, NY tractor pulls one Sunday in July.Was pushing some rusty old pan just for show...and a 60's vintage Euclid was right there with them.
Id have to say an allis chalmers HD 21 A with a screamin detroit, even though they slobber worse than a bulldog i think them motors are pretty neat
977l I know it's not a dozer, but CAT 977L just rocks. Total powerhouse machine. Great pusher. Great for doing demo in the city, the old fashioned way. Crashing and crunching.
Most of the machines listed here were pretty good in their day, but now, well, I'll take a modern Cat D8 or D9 any day. I really appreciate the creature comforts they have. I learned on the RD8's and 2U's and TD14 and 18's. That part of the reason I'm in the sad shape I'm in today.
[/QUOTE] What's the matter surfer-joe...didn't the a/c and the airride seat work in the D8 2U you used to run? The one I ran did. The a/c came from the west prevailing wind, and the airride seat worked once you landed back in it. I moved a brandy new D-8T the other day, and man I gotta tell you, they certainly came a LOOOONG way. From a (seriously,) genuine air ride seat to the a/c to the tiller steering, it's become a pleasure rather than a job nowadays.
I'd go for an HD 21 too. Hey Lowboy, looks like we have similar taste in vintage dozers. The first tractor I ever ran was an HD 21 P. When I had the opportunity to operate a D82U I remember thinking that running a 2U saw very much like hard work, still, the sound of that 13000 thumping away is music to my ears!
Geeez Low Boy, I'm still recovering from a pair of flights to Michigan from Phoenix last weekend. Gad, either I'm a lot bigger, or those damn seats are a lot smaller. My legs seem to be a lot longer too, couldn't find a comfortable place to put them. One positive memory from the bad old days is that the seats on the 2U & the TD24's were a lot wider, providing a nice soft place to take a nap at lunch time. This was even better if one had the advantage of the wooden Cat sun shade. A kitten draped over a couch didn't have a thing on me.
Im not much of a dozer operator ive spent most of my dozer time on d3's but i got to run a d8k for a while and it was a blast. It was big, loud, old, and had an open cab but i had more fun on that dozer than i do in the air conditiond cab on the excavator. My opinion might change if i had to run it every day all day though.
What a great thread!! Thanks Deas!! I've got a career total of about 4 hours on dozers, small ones at that, so I'll just spectate. I will add however that I was always awed in watching a TD25 at work, they were so massive and blowing soot with the turbo screaming, it was bone chilling to see such power at work.
I love to run a Pc-150-5. Just an all around great machine!
The Cat D9H was one of the finest large dozers ever built. Even though you couldn't see in front of you or behind of you, with a good ear and that "bubble" that you sit on, I found it easy and "fun" to punch pads with this machine. I doubt todays newer machines will last as long as the older real machines did. :cool2
I have to say I agree with SurferJoe. I liked a lot of the older Iron, but it is hard to beat the new ones for comfort and productivity. I have spent countless hours with a 46A pioneering, and when I do the same work with a D-8R or D-8T, I get 4 or 5 times as much work accomplished. I am comfortable enough to run all day without a break, I do not have to fight the wind, rain, heat, cold, snow, dust, or any of the other things that cause you to loose production without a climate controlled cab. The newer machines are faster, and more powerfull, as well as the diff steer models being both more stable on a slope (in my opinion) due to not having to freewheel a track to turn, and getting better traction because of the bogie undercarriage. It is nice to remember the old tractors, but I find most people look back at them with rose collored glasses on, and seem to overlook the negative things about them. Sure they were easier to work on back then, but it was also because you had to work on them a lot to get the job done. My new iron runs and runs, while the older ones constantly need attention.
I agree Pushblock, the sound of those old 13's was (and still is in some cases,) ear candy. Nothing like that old low "r", big bore roar. These new ones all sound the same. I like the old school way of running a dozer still to this day. I love the manual clutch, the steering clutches, pulling on those levers...The tiller-bar blade lever was a little cumbersome back in those days though...At the end of a long day, you'd walk away with your arm held in that same position till you got back home. There's an AC HD 21P here in town that goes to a big push ocassionally. I just adore the size of the thing. Looks massive, is massive.:drinkup
Those seats were the "cat's meow", for sure, _joe...
Dresser TD15C would be my choice, still have one but would go for a new one again. Trbo
Well there are two that I always liked. First is a T-340 International with tilt and angle blade. Reasons...it's small enough to move with a pickup, very simple to repair and is very stout for it's size. And what it lacks in power the all tilt and angle blade makes up for it. Second is the old HD5 Allis Chamlers it's a little larger than the T-340(wouldn't try moving with a pickup) but is also very simple to repair. Yeah I'm just a little different I pull for the UNDERDOGS lol. BTW from what I've seen both of these will beat ya up on a 10hr. day.
On Beating Up. Hi, Wrenchbender. I've never seen or operated either of your choices, although I would still like to get my butt on a small Allis, HD5 or 6. However, they are a lot like hen's teethe and rocking horse manure around here. On the subject of getting 'beaten up' by a machine in a 10 hour day, I have maintained for most of my operating career that any machine will only be as hard on you as you are on it. Dozers and scrapers especially will give you a good kicking around if you get rough with them, but the same applies to pretty much any mobile machine. Sure, you work a bit harder on the older machines but, for me at least, that is part of the joy of running them. I had 4 hours on an IH TD9 dozer one Sunday a month ago and loved every minute of it. Here are some photos of the little jigger. They were taken at the end of July weekend rally about 5 minutes from home.
I learned on a 40 C John Deere, small easy to fix, seemed like it would run all day on 5 gallons of gas- or least it cost a whole lot less. Then then Td-6, onto TD9 When we got a late model TD18 with pistons on hardnose instead of the Bykus-Erie blades. really liked that machine especially on long pushes When your young they all are the Best & Greatest
Good pics of the forestry TD9 Deas, ole King Of Obsolete must be drooling to see such a nice looking International. For smaller jobs, a TD15 was a nice choice. Easier to work than a D6 and I always thought they did a better job of pushing stuff around. I had the mispleasure of trying to clear and grub with a D6 and a U-blade in Colorado one time and soon grew to hate that little SOB. The older Cats and Internationals with nearly unmuffled long-stroke big-bore engines sounded great. but like JDOFMEMI says, if you got to work a Cat today, you can't beat the new models with all the comforts.
Bearing in mind that newer machines are usually more efficient and easier on the operator, I still admire simplicity, dependability, and a good basic design in equipment. I'll throw out few semi-modern machines I have liked from the 70's to the 90's, now out of production: Cat D5H, D6H IH/Dresser TD8E, JD650G Cat D8H,K What I'd like to have around for a "toy" - Cat D7 3T
3T D7 'toy' Hi, 72V. Have a look at my last post, the new thread with the first of the photos from Pimpama. That was my main ride for that weekend. Jealous? LOL.
In a word, yes!
Deas, here's a couple of pics of an AC HD6 which appears to have been used in the woods. I also would have liked to have gotton some time in the seat of one of these Allis's. The dozer pic'd is set up very closely to one I contemplated purchasing. (pics from here: http://www.tannerequipment.com/cat_d4e.htm )
Someone needs to muck them tracks!:ban
International T-340 parts Hi everybody, I have a IH T-340 and I'm having a problem finding parts I need for it. The parts I'm looking for are the following: 4- Rods front idler supports #306 623 R1 Bushing front idler #306 573 R1 Idler w/ Bushing #306 573 R1 Oil seal #306 389 R1 Washer #306 517 R1 Shaft #306 520 R1 Shaft #306 546 R1 Oil seal #53 968 D If anybody can help me locate these items let me know.
I don't know if this is needed but it is a International T-340 Crawler Tractor.
Ran an HD 11 i beleive the # was. It had wide tracks on it as we used it in very unstable areas along creek beds and wooded wet areas. That dozer pushed stumps, trees, you name it...whatever came in it's way it was a great machine with the wide track LGP. It was made by dresser, hope I have the # right.
Sharing thoughts Hi, Meetmax. The people over at Redpower are the ones you need to ask about this list of parts. I suspect that most are still obtainable - if you know where. I think you will have to register to be able to post but it's free. http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php Hope this helps. Hi, Insleyboy. I don't want to rain on your parade - or cast doubts on your memory - but if it was an HD11, it wasn't made by Dresser and if it was made by Dresser, it wasn't an HD 11. Allis Chalmers made the HD11's and the entire range that had the letters, 'HD', as their prefix. If it was a Dresser, it would likely have had the letters, 'TD', in front of a single or double digit number. Hope this helps refresh your memory.
Spent some time on a Terex 8280 pushing pans for a time in the Strip Mines, It was pretty cool. Always liked the looks of a 8230 with full ROPS and Sweeps. We had a TD 18 and it was always neat to start. The twin stacks would always blow smoke rings when you kicked her over on diesel. Hated to try and grade with it but she sure would get a 'D' Tournapull thru the cut in a hurry. dpull
of coarse a fiat - allis 41 or the fd50 add a few d8k's and d9h's and that would be just great
Big Thanks Hi Deas Plant, Thanks I'll check them out.
Me too...the old 3T's will always have a soft spot in my heart. The first CAT I owned was 3T-6549....even though I owned about 25 of them over a period of time....it was also the last CAT I owned ....and just about cried when I sold it. I had one 3T that would have made me a nice toy now....3T-23717...ROPS, oil clutch, hyd str8 blade, bolt on sprockets rings, grease type slack adjusters. ....and then there was old 3T-4658. The one that was never paid for...LOL It was always used for collateral at the bank. The next best dozer to a 3T for me, meaning easy operation and maintainance was the old TEREX 82-30....with the inline DD-671. Owned and operated several of those, also ran a couple of TEREX 82-40's and one space age EUCLID C-6 IH, AC, CAT, EUC., TEREX.....either owned and/or operated to many to list them all.
I have two 103mc m64 eimco dozers and love them. My neighbor has another I am trying to buy. They are quick and stout. Super simple to run. I know some people don't like them. They just take a little getting use to.
well, i always like the low tracked d8h, and the d8k. ohh and the l model dozers were very nice..
lotta of contractors say they wish they could still get the late model D8H's with the 300 HP spacerplate engine.
Hmmmm, to your original question Deas, i will let you take a guess at my choice!! Although i would have to say 66A & 90V are very close seconds to my first choice. Big iron just fascinated me as a youngster and the influence of seeing this stuff when you are 7-8 years old certainly leaves a lifelong impression for most of us, having a day off school in 78 to go see the first D10 in Australia didn,t hurt either!
I wish I could buy a brand new 3X D6. Cant beat them for grubbing mesquites and cleaning stock tanks out in my neck of the woods. Ours is about used up.:usa
For me it would have to be a D5 93jseries, that little machine was just about the right sized. I also liked my D6h 4rc series (3306, lever steer and not to complicated to work on).
Just a guess. Hi, Gavin84W. This is just a wild guess and I have no idea why it comes to mind but but I'll say an 84W D10. I'd go along with the other two as being among my favourites too. I spent quite a few very pleasant hours on various 66A's in my earlier years, many of them working away on my own miles from anybody else. Great meditating time when you get to where you can do most of it on auto-pilot and have your mind doing other things. I got to that point very early in my career.
For me it would be a D4E SA AG CAT
Sharing MY thoughts. Hi, Folks. It has been interesting reading through all the various thoughts on what machines folks would like to see still being produced. Bearing in mind that many of the older machines are just plain not economically viable any more, the BIG reason for having one would be for fun. THAT is one of the best reasons there is. I have a virtual shopping list of machines that I'd like to see still being produced. Top of that list would be the 66A D9G's, probably followed by the 46A D8's, late series with the 270hp tuning and the side-mounted hydraulic tank. (I would, if pushed, accept a D8K dozer in it's place. LOL.) After that, maybe an 84W D10, a 44X D5B, a 7U D4, a 3T D7, 2U D8, 9U D6, late 17K Cat 12 grader, early 950 loader and a few more that I can't think of right now. Greedy, aren't I? :drinkup
thoughts The wish list, my D7E s/n 48a3907 which I sold about six years ago.Had in seat pup-start and it worked fine.Was asked many times about the start up,decompression lever,start pinion etc... Cat D6-9U, my dad took me for a ride on his when I was about six years old. Terex 82-40 dozer-always thought it could do a good days work. Terex 72-31 loader-factory no-spin diff in rear.Worked with a sewer crew for a season on one.Good learning experience. Bucyrus-Erie 30-B cable hoe,4-71 Detroit power,air controls.Like to get one yet... Poclain RC-200 hydraulic hoe,F6L-413 Deutz power-started out loading borrow in a pit with one.It had better "feel" through the levers than a lot of the newer machines imo. not greedy,just reminising::drinkup
Dominion: Have a D7E here in the fleet right now. 48A5862. Converted it to direct electric in 2005 when the pony motor went south on me. Use this machine on a routine and regular basis doing both dozer work as well as pulling a No. 70 cat pan with her.
LOL I dont know about any old junk. Just cut then up ... my 2c ... D9N was my Fav Machine to work on ... Alot Better than the newer D10 and D11 model's.
Caterpillars entire 1969 dozer Lineup.
Best dozer fullstop I've ever been around was an 8K 77V SA - one of the ones built in the states for the marine corps or army (can't remember) but it had an extra 4.5 t of steel in it -frame and belly plates mostly. The extra weight went well with the 300HP, other than that I always felt they were slightly overpowered compared with the 270hp 8H. Unfortunately it's not mine.
Proud owner of a very late D8H here which has the 300 HP spacer plate engine in it. A lot of fellows have told me that they are better than the 8K's.
a big old cat D9H all the way for me thanks
I would like to see a run of D4 7u's again just to show the blokes who have never been on one just how easy they have it nowerdays! That aside they certainly did a mans size job for a little dozer. Another of my favourites isnt that old but a top machine is a D9L-mind you I'm a little bias as I have both of them. The D4 has had major restoration work done to it and is heading down to the south of West OZ to join the 100 year birthday of Caterpillar over here.
Next door, what is that 100 year anniversary deal all about? do you have any info you can share?
DD9H for me. Awsome dozer, one operator two machines. Match with a 666B scraper, great site of times past.
D8H D8K D9G D9H All in high serial numbers. 1980's Komatsu D355 and maybe D155 too. So when are they going back into production?
I wish they made TD-20G's new. They are amazingly simple and easy to repair, all major components are modular and can be taken out separately. They have a very good Cummins L10 engine in them, which start great even in cold Iowa winter mornings. They don't have computers, or emission requirements. They don't smoke. They get excellent fuel economy. They have gobs of power, and are easy to operate with the high low track true power-shift steering system. It's going to be tough to top this one.