Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Share your thoughts number three.

Deas Plant ยท 2007-09-03 08:14

Hi, Folks. Would you like to share your thoughts on what makes a good dozer a good dozer? What characteristics would you be looking for if you were buying a dozer? Or conversely, what makes a dozer a bad dozer? And, To Whom It May Concern, I DON'T mean whether it is high or low sprocket drive. Not a joke. Let the discussion begin - peacefully.

Replies22
  1. #1surfer-joe2007-09-03 10:20

    Brute power that comes on quick, yet with some finesse in tractor balance and feel. Good view out both sides and the front & back, with minimum blockage. Creature comforts in a fully enclosed and tight cab, easy to use controls with good feeling. Minimum instruments and dashboard size. Easy to get on and off. Easy to enter and exit cab. Easy to check vital fluids. Quiet!

  2. #2Construct'O2007-09-03 10:42

    Lots Of Variables There are several things to consider when deciding on the machine for you,or company. The type of soil or rock your going to be working in.If your dealing with rock,attachment(ripper) would also have to be considered.Wet ground lgp machine would be optional.The list goes on. Lots of people admazes me ,by trying to use small machine for big jobs and big iron for little jobs.I do realize at time you have to do with what you got, at the times.Not always and option to have more then one machine. For me as owner operater and doing landimprovment work(clearing,terraces,ponds,waterways and the list goes on) in my area.I said my area! Again another variable the area you live has something to do with your choices. My selection is and has been the D6R Xl,big enough to do the most of the clearing and earthmoving i do.I like the xl for the extra track on the ground for traction and ride,plus balance,which inturn makes for better dozing. Because of its size it is more mobile to haul with weight limits on bridge here.Don't have to deal with a lot of permits.I might be moving several times in one day. For comfort cab with air and heat is a most !!!!! Options on the machine would be brushguards and sweeps for clearing,along with extra hydraulic for pulling hydraulic scraper.Since this is kind of like a wish list i would add, set with gps and laser. For my type of work and customers (farmers mostly) this makes for an all around good machine for my area and type of work. There are lots more variables to talk about ,but sure others will include them.Have a good day !

  3. #3Pushblock2007-09-03 21:15

    My Criteria My criteria are: Is the machine built to efficiently do the job for which it is intended. Can it easily be maintained. Parts availability. Ease of operation. It may seem odd, but I don't consider price to be a criteria. If you need a machine for a specific purpose, you will pay the price for the machine that will most efficiently serve that purpose.

  4. #4John C.2007-09-03 22:05

    A machine is a tool for making money. Nothing more, nothing less. For me it has to be reliable more than pretty. It has to be efficient and accomplish its task using the least amount fuel possible. It has to accomplish its task at a speed that will allow a profit. It should be simple to operate and repairable by company employees. Parts should be available in 48 hours or less and at the parts dealer's expense if it takes more time. It should not require thousands of dollars in special equipment to troubleshoot a bad wire or a speed sensor. If there are electronics on the machine the diagnostics should be available, "on the machine". I know there are machines that I would have preferred to operate over the one I had to operate. But does it really make sense to buy an enclosed cab loader backhoe if you are going to jump up and down in the ditch all day. Does it makes sense to purchase air conditioning if the excavator operator is going to open the front window and leave the door open all day? Does it make sense to pay for a rear entry cab on a logging shovel if there have never been any accidents on the standard entry machines? Finally does it make sense to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for comfort options and niceties when the operator spits chew all over the inside of the cab, leaves food and bottles behind the seat and doesn't repair or report safety issues until there is an accident? I am far more concerned about the safety of all personel than I am about how comfortable they are.

  5. #5Dozer5752007-09-06 22:48

    Price vs condition if it is used. Don't want to spend big bucks for something that will need all major drive train and hydraulic components rebuilt in the first month you buy it. I know of a place that got a low s/n D8K at auction for I think 25k and probably had to put twice that into it to fix all the problems. And it still had a worn undercarriage. For a new machine, I'd want good dealer support and the best deal.

  6. #6LowBoy2007-09-07 02:59

    This is almost like arguing which is better, Ford, Chevy or Dodge? ( Ford rules, of course.)

  7. #7Deas Plant2007-09-07 08:25

    Ford Rules???????????????????????????? Hi, Lowboy. The name 'Ford' is code for what those vehicles are all about. To decipher, turn the word back to front. It then stands for 'Driver Returned On Foot'. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8LowBoy2007-09-07 19:08

    Oh C'mon Deas...you probably drive on the wrong side of the road, too.:laugh :falldownlaugh :beerchug

  9. #995zIV2007-09-07 21:18

    Depends on what game you're playing, but then again 95 percent of fords ever bought are still on the road today.

  10. #1095zIV2007-09-07 21:20

    The other 5 percent actually made it home:falldownlaugh

  11. #11LowBoy2007-09-07 21:23

    I was just beginning to like you...:cussing :guns :avid :falldownlaugh

  12. #12Deas Plant2007-09-07 21:40

    Side of the road??????????? Hi, 95ZIV. That's EXACTLY what I meant by Driver Returned On Foot. And did the other 5% actually make it home EVERY time? Hi, Lowboy. No, we don't drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. We drive on the LEFT side of the road, which works just fine for us. Not our problem if 'Top-siders' have a problem with it. We also have TIRES on our vehicles instead of 'tahrs'. LOL. :drinkup :notworthy :guns :falldownlaugh :stirthepot ointlaugh :lmao Your 'first' response to this is :ban

  13. #13Deas Plant2007-09-07 21:46

    Back on track???????? Hi, Folks. Now can we get back to discussing what makes a good dozer a good dozer? So far, Surfer Joe is the only one to really address the question, and he was uncharacteristically brief.

  14. #14LowBoy2007-09-08 06:47
  15. #15Deas Plant2007-09-08 07:27

    Gotta Hott Flash Ferya. Hi, Lowboy. Gotta hott flash ferya. Doan keer wut yer sae. Ther rite syda ther rode iz ther 'RONG' syde DowNunder. We have 'bags', 'doughnuts' tires, tyres and 'rubber' an' they're all round black things thatchyer put on ther rims uv yer vee-hickle and fill with air to stop the rims from scratchi-nup ther road. Least I think that's Y we have 'em. Sorta lyk havin' tracks onna dozer ter stop ther track rollers from breaking two many rocks. Hope this hepps yer ter 'unnerkerstumble'.

  16. #16EZ TRBO2007-09-08 11:02

    I have had many people ask that question many times or even customers saying "Well so and so has bigger equipment and can get the job done faster" . I have told many people that just cause a piece of equipment is bigger does not make it better. For years, almost since grandpa started the biz we have ran 14's and then onto the 15's(international then dresser). For the type of work we got into they worked well. Somtimes a larger machine would have worked a bit better, and other times a smaller machine would have but for the most part this mid size piece of equipment always got the job done. Well balanced, good power, good sight, and comfortable to run. Our dealer support from Bark River was always awesome and looking back on the type of breakdowns we had on the last two 15's(both identical, only bout 30 numbers off) there was never really anything major. If I were going to just list what I was looking for in a machine of any size or for type of application it would be. Sized for the project at hand, not to big or too small. Ease of operation, let the machine work all day, not the operator. Serviceability, just being able to get at filters and such easily is very nice. Dealer support, when they break down(and they will) your dealer does what they need to to help you out and get you back runnning in a timely fashion. Those are just a few things that I look at when selecting a machine. Jason

  17. #17LowBoy2007-09-09 01:54

    If that's the case, Deas...do ya's have Dunkin' Tires franchises deown undah? Ya know, chocolate tires, glazed tires, honey dipped tires...betcha can't eat just one, eh Mate?

  18. #18Deas Plant2007-09-09 02:30

    English Language IS Confusing. Hi, Lowboy. Ther English language can be a confusing 'sunuva' at times. DowNunder, ther dunkin' things is spelled widdout ther upside-down commas an' usually ain't black. They usually get cooked indoors too, whereas ther ones widd ther upside-down commas usually get 'cooked' out on ther roads. And I ALWAYS stop at just one of the indoors ones - - - on the VERY rare occasions that I have ANY at all. Suff-ishently corn-fused yet?

  19. #19LowBoy2007-09-09 11:53

    Yup...I officially raise the white flag on this thread, Deas. There'll be no roo huntin' for this guy in this lifetime.:usa

  20. #20Deas Plant2007-09-10 03:39

    No Roo Huntin'????? Hi, Lowboy. Why no roo huntin'? It's not the roos that answer back? Although I have heard one or two reports that real BIG roos have quietly but firmly told shooters who were about to take aim, "You point that thing at me and I'll jump right on your head." Cheeky B******s. LOL.

  21. #21CM19952007-09-12 09:02

    I think that some of the posts have discussed most of the qualities, perfomance, operator comfort of a machine and dealer support that I put into the equation when buying a new machine. The only 2 things that I can think of to add is ownership/operating costs and resale value. (hey somebody's got to be the bean counter - the question was about purchasing a machine). Ownership/operating costs - what are the cost of the parts you will eventually need and what is the reliability of the machine. Can you buy individual parts for a hydraulic pump or do you have to buy the whole pump? I have found that the price for filters and wear items can vary tremendously between manufacturers. What I like to do when I am considering purchasing a machine is to pick a few parts/components that could need to be replaced during the operating life and go to the parts counter and price them out - it can be very interesting to see the difference. And of course dealer support and parts availability. Resale Value - What is your hunk of yellow scrap iron going to be worth when you decide to dispose/trade in? I will take the for sale prices and auction results from say Machinery Trader and Rock and Dirt, put them in a spreadsheet with the age and hours to determine an estimated resale value for that piece of equipment at your determined end of its useful life. Now everyone is different on how long they will run a machine and whether to buy new or used. Regardless you are purchasing an asset that you do not only want to make a return on but get the most residual value for at disposal time.

  22. #22Construct'O2007-09-12 22:50

    Resale!!!!!!!!! i'll let you know ,just as soon as i found out.I have been watching Iron Planets auction lately and checking to see how they go also.Plus the above places you do also. I have been surprised at how well somethings does and where they go,but also how bad others sales for.If it is clean and well keep it does bring the high end prices. Eveyone is looking for a bargain,but if it is well kind they usually are not the bargains.:usa