Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

shelf life of gear oil and others

starshiphi ยท 2013-04-25 23:11

Can anyone tell me what is the shelf life of 90W gear oil and other oils, even Bar Oil, Clearing out the Barn, I have found 20 gallons of oil that is probably at least 14 years old or older. Is it time to recycle this oil or can it still be used??? Don Santa Cruz

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2013-04-26 09:07

    After that length of time I would junk it.

  2. #2starshiphi2013-04-26 11:04

    Thank You for your reply OK, It was my first thoughts to recycle all of it, but after examination it looks like oil, smells like oil, and is exactly like the new stuff I just bought, so what can go wrong on the shelf??? Looking for Knowledge and advise what to do. Thank you for you input. Don Santa Cruz

  3. #3Shenandoah2013-04-26 11:15

    One way you could look at this is to imagine how many millions of vehicles are on the road today with the same gear oil in the differential that they had when they left the factory. Picture vehicles from 1999 on back...

  4. #4ddigger2013-04-26 11:31

    If there has been no contamination, the oil should be fine.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2013-04-26 23:10

    You beat me to it. That would be my same advice. Run it, just make sure you change it again when it is time I suppose.