Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shields Polycarbonate Windscreen

CammoCase · 2024-05-20 20:20

Hello from Australia, Have recently purchased a 2020 Takeuchi TL10V2 and a mulcher and need to get a poly windscreen for it. There are no local options over here for "off the shelf" - they're all custom made to order where you remove your door and send it to them, they use it as a template to cut/shape a door and then send it out. I haven't enquired with Shields if they ship internationally yet - but if they do; I'm looking for anyone who has or had one and feedback on it - did it fit straightforward? Or did it require excessive stuffing around? Did it seal? Does their "Supercoat" make a difference to lifespan/scratch resistance? etc etc. Don't want to go through the exercise of shipping on from the U.S of A only to find out it's no good. Ay and all feedback appreciated. Thanks everyone

Replies8
  1. #1Legdoc2024-05-21 19:57

    Have you tried a local glass shop? I have cut 1/2" polycarbonate with a jig saw and table saw. For a sales display I made a box with hinged lid and polished edges screwed together. It's no big deal to work with. I work with a lot of plastics. Give me the size and thickness and I will get a wholesale price in Texas for morbid curiosity sake.

  2. #2CammoCase2024-05-21 22:39

    Hi Legdoc, The glass shops are the ones who want a week to make it due to workload etc. The thickness will be 1/2in. I'm not near the machine to get the other dimensions. The original door is glass and not as thick, so it is my understanding that the polycarbonate door needs the edges that accept the frame milled down. I have spoken with Shields - they do ship internationally. The windscreen is cheaper from then when converted to Australian dollars than buying locally - it'll be the international freight that becomes the deciding factor.

  3. #3Legdoc2024-05-23 21:54

    As a guess is 3'x4' about right?

  4. #4KSSS2024-05-25 10:31

    I have two doors from Shields and a buddy of mine has two as well. The one I use for mulching is .5" thick. I have no complaints.

  5. #5Tones2024-05-25 19:46

    Another way off doing this is to make a frame then fit a flat sheet of lexen onto that, the bolt the frame onto the door over the existing windscreen. A peace of lexen that size could cost 150 bucks, the frame a lazy 50 if you do it yourself. When you're not mulching take the screen off.

  6. #6SHIELDSwindshields2025-02-25 09:05

    Great to hear!! Thanks for sharing!

  7. #7SHIELDSwindshields2025-02-25 09:05

    We do ship internationally! You can order online or give us a call at 800-554-7527. www.SHIELDSWINDSHIELDS.com

  8. #8CM19952025-02-25 10:47

    Welcome to the Forums. Please take a moment to read the Forum RULES. Heavy Equipment Forums Rules and Posting Guidelines Heavy Equipment Forums Membership Rules and Guidelines Site Objective It is the intent of this site’s administration to offer professionals of the heavy equipment industry a forum and a comfortable enjoyable environment in which to exchange ideas, questions, answers and comments regarding... HeavyEquipmentForums Specifically this part - Your post above is your "Freebie". Thanks in advance.