Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

shock absorber rebuild

mbavers · 2023-07-30 01:13

1992 toyota corolla all-trac dx. No mcpherson struts available anywhere. The all-trac must be different from all the other carollas. I would like to have my two front ones rebuilt (the shock absorber part). Anyone know of any place that would do that? Even an independent mechanic/machinist. Yeah, I've tried Carid, Shocktherapist, etc., etc.

Replies12
  1. #1Coaldust2023-07-30 01:21

    Those were awesome cars in the day. Don’t blame you for trying to keep it on the road. Those were built in Japan, unlike the 2wd Corollas built in ca during that era. Very cool JDM car. Try some of the Corolla forums on FB. Someone will know where to find them.

  2. #2mbavers2023-07-30 02:07

    Yeah, best car I've ever owned, for my purposes; true full time 4wd. I don't do FB. I've tried everywhere else-I need a rebuild.

  3. #3Coaldust2023-07-30 02:12

    I don’t do FB either. This is my only social media account. I was going to start a FB page for my business. I hired a young lady to be my social media director, but She got sideways with the law and flaked out on me. Get on the smack, there’s no coming back.

  4. #4Coaldust2023-07-30 02:20

    My buddy who does old JDM Toyota stuff says that car was built on the Tercel platform and you can often find Tokiko struts to fit if you measure them up and try to match with this chart. AWD FL= 48520-16070 body=12.125" compressed=12.625" extended=18.750" AWD FR = 48510-16290 body=12.125" compressed=12.625" extended=18.750" 2WD FL = 48520-1A130 body=12.625" compressed=13.125" extended=19.125" 2WD FR = 48510-1A260 body=12.625" compressed=13.125" extended=19.125"

  5. #5barrelroll2023-07-30 10:26

    How much do you want to spend? Adapting something like a rebuildable/ valveable off road shock might be able to be made to work. ADS might be worth calling, Fox and King have both gotten way too big to care about the little projects, bilstein isn't into stuff like this, FOA has quality issues if they are still around. Most of the factory shocks aren't exactly made to be rebuildable. With enough creativity it's probably possible. On second thought have you tried desperate marine in Homer? I had an interview with them a while ago, this sounds like something right up their alley. They are a hydraulics/ machine shop.

  6. #6mbavers2023-07-30 12:03

    I've been to Desperate Marine many times-hydraulic hose for heavy equipment and fittings-but don't think they do this kind of work. I will stop by and ask them.

  7. #7mbavers2023-07-30 12:07

    If only I could see if they match up without buying them first.

  8. #8barrelroll2023-07-30 13:56

    It sounded like they do a little bit of everything and take on some pretty odd ball projects. Shocks/ struts are really just hydraulic cylinders with valving/ fluid ports in the piston. I'd imagine if you can find someone to rebuild them you are looking at $500-$1000 minimum in labor. Finding a part that would cross will be the cheapest option. Rock auto sometimes has really good descriptions with mounting bolt sizes, lengths/ dimensions, ect, you have to play around a bit to find brands that list more info than others.

  9. #9mbavers2023-07-30 14:59

    I'd pay $500 to get it done right. This is my #3 road vehicle-emergency use only, or occasionally to town and back (32 miles round trip). If I can't get it repaired I'll drive it as is when necessary.

  10. #10Delmer2023-07-30 22:39

    Problem I see is nobody is willing to assign their best guy to attempt to rebuild shocks for a 30 year old car. Sure it's possible, but it would take top skills in several different areas, with a lot of possibilities for failure. Have they leaked oil? are they just soft? you could add more oil, or replace with a thicker grade. But new can't be that hard, find some likely to fit online and find a model used or at a junkyard to see any dimensions you can't get online. Or ask here, I'd bet a few would recognize or be able to measure comparables.

  11. #11RocketScott2023-07-31 10:30

    Have you tried contacting KYB? They were the OEM I had a '94 Celica with the sport suspension, the fronts were 'rebuildable'. KYB made drop in cartridges but it didn't make much sense to do that when a strut could be had for about the same price that replaced the old housing and had larger internals

  12. #12mbavers2023-07-31 13:20

    Thanks-I'm trying to contact them.