Hello, I have some large shoring plates that are stuck in a trench. We have damaged some large excavators trying to get them out. I have heard of hydraulic lifting systems for this. Does anyone know of the best hydraulic lifting systems out there for this situation?
Welcome to the Forums Clover! Glad to have you. When you say "damaged some large excavators" what size excavator and what damage? How wide and deep is the shoring? Any pics? BTW - Moved this over to General Industry Questions.
A vibro hammer is possibly the best tool to get those plates out. I've been on sites were they hammered in 40ft lengths of sheet piling for drainage jobs. They couldn't be pulled until the trench was 100% backfilled. The hammer pulled them just as fast as it drove them.
fi you can get a grip on it, that hammer suggestion above is the bomb.
I never seen anything other than those hammers to put them in or take them out mounted on cranes or excavators
Are we talking about driven sheet piling or portable trench box/plate type shoring?
If the jaw on the hammer can get a grip it will pull what ever. And yes a box would get damaged but so would cutting the tom's with a gas axe.
Tones not sure of the jargon - what's a "tom".
Here toms go across the excavation and prop against the whalings that go along the excavation holding the shoring in place.
I have had stuck boxes and needed a crane to pull them while we slurried for backfill but that was in a road
Tones thats what I thought they were but not 100% sure.
I thought we were going to have a problem pulling the long box out with our 325FL after the walls caved in but it wasn't that bad. For any newbies to the business this pic is the reason why a trench needs to be shored, sloped or benched. We couldn't slope or bench in this situation hence the box.
Gezz, I thought it was a lot worse than this. Just for future reference a vibro hammer would have pulled the box even if the trench was 50% backfilled.
Umm that's my pic of a job back in '21. No clue about the OP's situation.
that is a bit of a pickle. You cant pull the structure box and stand on it so you can get a good lift on each end. The structure might get offended. I had to do a lot of back and forth to get this 5 set moving up with the little 120. I had to stick them deep!