Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

short cuts kill

dgreene · 2007-02-09 09:26

I geuss you guys can figure out why this guy died.

Replies60
  1. #1PSDF3502007-02-09 09:34

    A thread was started on this a couple weeks ago.

  2. #2dgreene2007-02-09 09:38

    sorry new member

  3. #3PSDF3502007-02-09 09:44

    Not a problem.

  4. #4digger242j2007-02-09 13:17

    Here's a link to that thread: The series of pictures that were originally posted in that thread were removed, for the reasons discussed there. This accident seems to keep coming up, from different members. If it will serve to notify everybody of which particular series of accident pictures has already been discussed, and found not suitable for posting here, I'll let this one picture remain. As expressed in the other thread, this won't be the site for display of graphic images of injury or death. This is the only one of the series that you'll see posted on this site.

  5. #5Dozerboy2007-02-09 23:02

    What kind of dozer is that it's a funny looking high track?

  6. #6Lashlander2007-02-09 23:14

    It looks to me like a Cat Skidder. They extended the track frames back to counter act the grapple.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-02-10 00:16

    I have to agree with you Lashlander. I viewed another angle of that accident and the hi-drive gear is almost dead center of the machine like the one below.

  8. #8digger242j2008-08-17 10:38

    This one came up again in the past couple of days, (albeit, this time in the crane forum) so I've made this thread a sticky. Hopefully it'll be seen by all, and we won't have to edit out those pictures yet again.

  9. #9fireman0502008-11-03 05:09

    hey digger do you know where i can see the rest of the pics?

  10. #10Texasgary2009-01-19 22:43

    The BAD thing is telling the family, I feel sorry for them, the hell that they go through.

  11. #11thejdman042009-01-20 01:08

    ouch

  12. #12yamahauler2009-02-19 19:51

    man that is just terrible i mean think if somebody had just paid more attention

  13. #13surfer-joe2009-02-19 22:43

    The guy had probably done this before often and never had a problem. Too bad. Just that one time is usually so tragic and final when it does happen.

  14. #14Arabhacks2010-01-17 18:19

    Thinking. Hello. One thing people must understand. We work with this equipment, it could happen to me! Most of us have a family, I am the exception. For this reason this upsets me, my coworkers ARE my family! Ask yourself this, would you walk up to me and hand me a bunch of pictures like this? It took me A FEW DAYS to come up with a tame response to this.

  15. #15oldtanker2010-10-31 00:06

    Hate to say this but if this post saves one life then it's worth it. OK I'm an old soldier. I served on tanks (combat arms for those who don't know include infantry, armor (tanks), scouts, combat engineers...ECT,). OK soldiers are supposed to die for thier country. Construction workers shouldn't! And hell yes I would hand you the photos hoping it would make you a little safer! Rick

  16. #16wpdozer2011-07-12 04:14

    saw these photos while taking osha 30 class at iuoe training center, the instructor asked us if we saw anything wrong in these photos. wet frozen ground, no ramps, unsafe dunnage under trailer, loading machine over back of lowboy. If they disconnected the lowboy from the start this would not have happened, And yes the other photos of this are not suitable for posting, they are graphic and disturbing.

  17. #17akroadrunner2011-07-12 16:38

    When I was a kid, my Dad used to get a safety publication called "Fatalities". It had hand drawn pictures of logging accidents and a narrative of what happened. I read every one of them that he got. I was maybe 10 y.o. when I first started reading them. I am quite certain it has made me a lot more safety conscious over the years.

  18. #18Christophera2012-08-17 01:26

    Yea, shorts cuts kill - I tied to warn the owner/operator but he would not listen. That is the angle blade with one of 2 slope board laying next left of the 550 JD after it landed on the road that stopped it rolling. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=55pmr9&s=6 I estimate the dozer was doing about 40mph, corner to corner endos on its "short cut" down the 45 degree rock face behind the camera. About 10 rotations. I pleaded with him to remove the non operational slope boards before attempting to pioneer in fractured very hard rock. I pleaded with him wait to get another machine. The clutch and brake machine with worn tracks was an invitation to disaster even with the right blade. Having some moisture would have made some difference too. Six weeks later he was gone. Yes, disturbing, but for some reason the D4 sitting upside down of the tail of that lowbed is worse for me. However, both are very good reminder about short cuts to doing anything around equipment.

  19. #19docdirt.net2012-08-18 19:04

    National safety and tractor safety(? ) Sounds like you knew him. Sorry for your loss. Too bad there wasn't a group of experienced operators involved, he might have listened. I couldn't figure out where else to post this than the safety forum. This looks like the right thread. Hope my entire act isn't banned here for showing the kind of short cuts I have to take. Really dangerous things, probably shouldn't do them, but I've got to make a living and I have a great deal of experience. Also I'm working on really mportant things for all of us, so I need people to realize what I can do in order to stay busy self employed. I take dozers to the limit, and that is probably not recommended by anyone. Yea, clearing brush, surface packing slides, slope borrows for repairs(?). Using the whole dozer for a slope board, that kind of thing. Never rolled one, I learned from the best. Not to mention I'm here trying gain some interest in my videos so a download site can be justified, if it will be, IN ORDER TO CONTINUE WITH DEFENSE OF THE U.S. CONSTITUTION. Hard to believe, but its true. I've done a few fairly radical things in the past couple of years that are fundamental to knowing how bad the constitution needs defense to preserve our rights, and I've done them with facts i can share. I probably don't need to convince anyone something is seriously wrong with government, depending on how close they've been watching, but I understand political discussion is downplayed here. Hit me up for details on how I expect to defend our constitution if you are interested yourself. I'll post a link to another forum about Article V. I'll say I'm only and all about Article V, or, our first constitutional right, and assuring that ALL amendments to the constitution have constitutional intent. BTW, that really is NOT politics, but I'll need a mods okay and this might not be the forum division for it BTW, I work as a surveyor and designer of grading and drainage plans under a civil engineer and have for 28 years. Also a welder for 35 and a decent repair tech for 30. I've never owned equipment, (except my welder and survey gear) always rented to fit the jobs. Owners of equipment rent (rare) me their equipment so it'll get a good inspection. It turns out an operator that is sensitive to the sounds and vibrations of a dozer and will inspect accordingly, can catch a lot of things before they become expensive or dangerous problems. Since there is no grading work these days; which I saw coming long ago with the constitutional usurpation's of the recent past, making even a greater need now for defense of the constitution, I shot some video of a few radical jobs then (2006-09). One had a severe need for an advanced drainage install of water bars and proper water crossings making an instructional video possible. In that, I install and shape water bars, swales then show them after the rains so you can see they've worked. These techniques save a huge amount of money and dirt by limiting erosions of the roadway. It's narrated on occasion, has music and there's a topo that flashes through with an arrow on it tracking the progress of a road reopening that was done in 12 hours. Total 3 hours of video, 2 parts. Very substandard ranch type road at best, but providing some vehicular access to a 40 acre parcel in radical terrain. After you see how I deal with water on narrow steep roads, give it to the kids to watch. That's' worth about 20 times the cost of the video in 90 minute parts, depending on the kids of course. They'll all be interested however. The page below has a link to my youtube channel where I've uploaded two, 5 minute +- trailers of the instructional video and a half dozen or so 1 to 10 minute clips of getting overburden off of rotational slides and filling erosions created by failed drainage devices. All done with a John Deere 450 angle dozer. http://dodirt.net

  20. #20digger242j2012-08-18 20:57

    Actually, it's prohibited here: "No discussion of politics not directly related to the heavy equipment industry will be permitted...." (Bold added to hilight the only exception.) It's pretty hard to get banned, unless you really flaunt the rules, and ignore any warnings the staff might give you.

  21. #21docdirt.net2012-08-18 22:20

    Thanks for the heads up digger242j A point of law is that the right to private property limiting my expression here is guaranteed by the constitution, I defend that law.

  22. #22willie592012-08-18 22:56

    Would you possible explain what that means in a way I can understand? I don't want to misinterpret that statement.

  23. #23docdirt.net2012-08-18 23:23

    This is private property. If someone does not like what I'm posting, they have the lawful right to throw me out. There is no free speech on .com. But I stand for the constitution, and property rights are granted there. My point is I support the law of the land that provides the right. I do it directly without politics. Digger242j's word will be heeded because the concerns for how things are percieved are real. If people percieve its political, who decides? The admins decide, so I'll take no chance that some others might mis percieve and think its political.

  24. #24willie592012-08-18 23:35

    Thanks for the clarification. As Digger implied, it's not our objective to "throw people out", but we do have rules that we attempt to enforce without prejudice for the benefit of all members. And we do limit political discussion at HEF, even topics that are indirectly political, because that's one topic that tends to bring out passionate views, sometimes opposing views, which is not the objective of HEF. It's our desire to discuss heavy equipment here, and let politics reside at other venues.

  25. #25docdirt.net2012-08-19 00:39

    Yea, equipment an operating it. I looked around for some discussion on drainage and couldn't find much. Got one? If not, I'd suggest a drainage forum because over 1/2 the operators don't seem to know how to get it working and prevent destructive erosion. There are lots of ways to do it some work way better than others. Sometimes evalation is key and operators getting off big projects are suddenly faced with, on some side job, having to make decisions about where water is going to go, how, without ever having seen all of the options. There are folks that have tried and tested various homemade, devices, plumbing, techniques, basins etc. I find that very intersting to tap in a place like this. Erosion plans, revegetation. Working in the winter in some counties is really challenging.

  26. #26willie592012-08-19 00:53

    With all due respect, and I take you at your word that you know your stuff, have no reason to believe otherwise, but nevertheless, you are new here, have no reputation nor weight of repertoire to sway readers, yet, with just 4 posts, you come in here with "guns blazing"? Would it not be a better approach to at least form some kind or respect of the populace of members as opposed to being (I believe you used the word perceived) the authority of any given subject? I do welcome you to HEF, but, respectfully, implore you to slow down and become a member of the community.

  27. #27docdirt.net2012-08-19 11:55

    I understand your position. However, in about 10 days I'll be homeless because I cannot get civil rights and due process in courts. Accordingly I'm doing what I can here to generate some interest in the videos so I might be able to afford to rent more than a storage for my tools. Not at all sure if I will make it back after that. There is also this fact; I cannot discuss "any given subject" here, so that approach would be limited. Thanks for the advice though, wish I had such options.

  28. #28rabia2012-08-31 07:59

    Yes any one can find about this figure. Many people use short cut. They do not understand that this is not only dangerous for themselves but also for others. So don't put yourself as well as others at risk.

  29. #29robin yates uk2012-08-31 08:51

    the dodirt link takes you to a house sales site

  30. #30docdirt.net2012-08-31 11:31

    Well I dodirt, but I do know how to spell my own user name, which is also the site url http:// docdirt.net.

  31. #31robin yates uk2012-08-31 23:58

    I am not suggesting you don't know how to spell your own name but I cannot connect using your link for some reason which is a shame cause it looked interesting.

  32. #32robin yates uk2012-09-01 00:01

    docdirt works fine but in your original post you spelt it dodirt

  33. #33Christophera2012-09-01 19:41

    Even I could see to use his username w/a dot. The real deal catskinner with steep terrain and a new hydraulic dozer, the second part . . .got thrill?

  34. #34Garrie Denny2012-09-01 23:23

    Im over seeing that picture,theres got to be way better pictures of machinery than that one,not needed dosent help anyone and especially the poor bloke operating the machine at the time. R.I.P.

  35. #35Plebeian2017-01-28 14:42

    Perhaps the trailer people could get together and design some better trailers. http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/tra...ers-build-half-all-truck-trailers-produced-us (Is this still the case - a few main manufacturers of trailers?) http://lowloader.co.nz/ (Hydraulic ramps, chained in raised position, multiple axles)

  36. #36old-iron-habit2017-01-28 22:15

    I wonder why they were unloading at what looks like might be a harbor. Not haven seen the rest of the pictures I thought it might be being loaded at the dock for delivery to a dealer. Its brand new, the ROPS is not installed yet, no winch, blade, or grapple on it yet. I wonder if they were loading over the back and went over backwards. It would be light on the front with no blade. It looks like the blocks are pushed under the truck as if it was going forward. Just thinking. I might be all wet to.

  37. #37HoustonLandClearing2017-07-06 01:45

    It's always important to make sure that SAFETY comes first, that is the #1 priority!

  38. #38Dozerboy2017-07-07 12:53

    The mantra the safety guys have been pushing lately is. This job is going to get done whether you're dead or alive. The only one that loses if you die is your family so everybody would just assume you work safe and stay alive. I kind of like it. Really drives the point home to me.

  39. #39gruntscoreboard2017-12-12 23:05

    That is terrible, we need to be much more careful

  40. #40Coaldust2020-04-08 01:02

    Let’s lighten this discussion up a bit. I don’t know where the picture came from, but it does make a good safety meme.

  41. #41.RC.2020-04-11 06:55

    Depends on whether it is safe or not. That could be perfectly safe. That jack could be jammed in there so tight it is going nowhere or it might be flopping around ready to slip off. Just because a picture is taken means nothing.

  42. #42ih1002020-04-19 13:53

    Look carefully at the head of the jack and tell me that could be perfectly safe.

  43. #43highwayghost2020-04-19 19:14

    Rubber rooms are the only things that are 'perfectly' safe. Life is about calculated risks. Choose wisely!

  44. #44emmett5182021-06-05 05:01

    Shake hands with danger. That ancient video made an impression on me.

  45. #45DDoug2022-10-03 14:03

    https://www.youtube.com/user/theavgeeks/search?query=shake hands

  46. #46.RC.2022-10-03 16:22

    That guitar riff from shake hands with danger gets stuck in your head. You go to a bar, meet someone. Later on she says. Don't worry, I am on the pill. You hear Shake hands with danger.

  47. #47mowingman2022-10-03 16:43

    That is my all time favorite safety movie. Back in the 90's, I did mine safety meeting all throughout the year at our various facilities. I showed that movie at every single safety meeting for 10 years. I even got requests to be sure and bring it to the meetings. It was a really good way to wake everyone up after a big lunch. Got the afternoon sessions going real quick. Nobody ever slept through that movie. Jeff

  48. #48Queenslander2022-10-04 00:08

    Shouldn’t be a problem if you have completed a JSA, signed an SWMS and wear appropriate PPE.

  49. #49skyking12024-02-15 11:08

    This young fellow was still moving at the end of the video, so I can only assume he was made out of rubber and survived somehow. Don't do this, any of this.

  50. #50skyking12024-02-15 13:17

    I mentioned it before. When I worked at Sea-Tac airport as an operator, a couple of folks in my crew started looking for something to do. If I had known I would have saved them a lot of pain. There was a set of jet bridge axles, tires and wheels there and they thought they could take them apart for salvage. They proceeded to unbolt the rim halves without letting out the air first! Luckily nobody was lined up with the air blast (too much) but it knocked them about, ringing ears, bruises. I dunno about your estimate, but those look like some high PSI tires.

  51. #51Truck Shop2024-02-15 17:13

    Well--it's time to count the tattoo's, divide those by how many teeth they have left from meth and that will give IQ quotient.

  52. #52.RC.2024-02-16 15:51

    Yes it is dangerous to stand under raised forks. Someone might get hurt.

  53. #53Compression-Ignition2024-02-16 20:43

    The original post in this thread, what did the operator do? I've never moved anything that heavy and am not familiar with that trailer. Did he skip a hydraulic leg or some sort of ramps, and try to just dive off the end with some little cribbing stacked up and it didn't work out the way he thought?

  54. #54skyking12024-02-16 20:52

    Other way around, I think he was climbing over the back rather than break the trailer at the front, just being in a hurry. It probably works 10 times out of 10 with the weight of the blade out in front of you, but that bare machine was just happy to roll on over, probably in either direction.

  55. #55OzDozer2024-02-16 20:58

    What were those clowns trying to do with that tyre? - get the beads seated? - with a gallon of gasoline inside the tyre?? You just got to wonder about some people - and there were THREE of them there!! It reminds me of the old saying, "If he had dynamite for brains, he wouldn't be able to blow his nose!"

  56. #56skyking12024-02-16 21:01

    they tried the old lighter fluid bead seat trick, and more has to be better. When he lifted it up and the tire opened up, the mixture got right. It was way rich before.

  57. #57Nige2024-02-16 21:09

    We prefer "If he had dynamite for brains, he wouldn't be able to blow the wax out of his ears."

  58. #58Truck Shop2024-02-16 21:37

    Reminds me of three I knew in high school. They were out drinking in the middle of the night near the old Milwaukee rail tunnel on Boylston Mt, in the middle of no where. Found the car had a tire going flat, kid that owned the car couldn't get the trunk open for some reason, so got the bright idea to get the 30-30 out and shoot the lock,--------one of the guys riding along told me the next thing they could hear was a hissing sound.

  59. #59OzDozer2024-02-17 00:45

    I've got real admiration for the guy who kept videoing calmly all through the blast, and the wheel landing like a moon shot.

  60. #60.RC.2024-02-17 02:40

    Sorry OzDozer, but i am removing points for the rocket not being in being full view for it's ascent like NASA did with the Saturn V launch videos. I think there was a premature stage separation as well. Here we have Ignition-----> Lift off ---->> T+0.1s --->> T+0.3s then the rocket is out of view.