Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Short locator tool

RobVG ยท 2016-09-07 13:11

One of my least favorite jobs is finding a short. Sometimes it can take hours visually searching dozen of feet of wire and pulling apart bundles. Anyone tried this tool? https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-25100-Short-Tester/dp/B000RFLR0U One of our drivers had one a long time ago and I don't think I was impressed. Any other locators you use?

Replies7
  1. #1BillG2016-09-07 13:23

    Had one a long time ago, most of the time it was unreliable at best. Try one of these , a bit more expensive but very reliable. I work on quite a few demo grinders with switches, sensors, and wiring running everywhere and many times tough to get at. The ECT-2000 has saved me more time than I can count. You can find them cheaper on Ebay and bundled with a Power Probe cheaper than buying seperate.

  2. #2RobVG2016-09-07 15:43

    Thank you Bill. As luck would have it, Home Depot has em for $100

  3. #3fast_st2016-09-07 16:10

    or regulate 5-6 amps through the wire and use a thermal imager I won't say if we did or did not try this to find a short in a fire truck wiring harness.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-09-07 17:04

    Well, can't think of a better place to start a fire... fire truck!

  5. #5JD955SC2016-09-08 20:45

    Can't comment on the short tracers (but a Power Probe ECT2000 is in my sights) but I can tell you a helpful accessory tool for finding shorts is the fuse saver master kit https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-America-8016-Master/dp/B002A6LZ38

  6. #6excavator2016-09-08 22:09

    I have one from SnapOn and also a Fault Finder FF310. The biggest dislike I have is that being battery powered the battery always seems to be dead when you need to use it. Otherwise they are a lifesaver when needed. I second JD955Cs comment on the Fuse Saver, it's very useful when chasing electrical shorts.

  7. #7catfixer2016-09-09 14:02

    I agree with bill g, the power probe short finder has made me look like a rock star several times. Great when another tech has been looking for a short all day and you come over and happen to find it in 45 seconds.