Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Should I buy a 1986 Deere 490…

adame ยท 2010-09-08 16:38

... with an engine that won't start?:beatsme The machine is local, and the owner is asking $15,000 for it. It has a hydraulic thumb. He said that the last time he ran it that everything worked well. Then he discovered coolant in the oil. He changed the oil and coolant, added the gunk to fix the bad gasket, etc, etc. Now he says it turns over but won't start. I said, "Well, I'll have to research how much it'll cost to rebuild the engine and I'll get back to you." I'm looking to do my own site work on 5 acres, and then doing the site work for my parents on their 11 acres right next door. I know that I won't pay him $15,000 for it (and I don't know if he'll accept less) but I was hoping for any input on these machines. Edit- I've got a mechanic friend who said he'd be happy to rebuild the engine- so it'll cost me a lot less than sending it to the local Deere shop. Thanks! Adam

Replies8
  1. #1EGS2010-09-08 20:40

    With out hearing it run it is worth scrap price. I have been looking for a 490 as well and I have seen plenty that are less then $20,000. If he does not get it running it is not worth much.

  2. #2powerjoke2010-09-08 21:59

    PASS!!!! too old, too small and too broke down....also too expensive. here is a link to a running machine for $9500 and I still wouldnt recomend it lol Pj

  3. #3adame2010-09-09 06:35

    thanks thanks for the encouragement in the right direction! I'm not afraid of an older machine that's been taken care of- mostly because I don't have a lot of money to spend. If I were rich I'd go look at new machines like another local guy I know that has about 200 hours of work to do. I know it's sort of a wierd question- but does anyone know a good used equipment dealer in New England? Brookside Equipment in Northern Mass always seems to have a few machines in the "under $25,000" range that would meet my needs. Thanks!

  4. #4YELLOMTLMILITIA2010-09-09 10:46

    My buddy went cheap on an excavator a few years back. He spent $18k on a lil kobelco with high hours and it worked good for 3 days and then we found enough brass in the hydraulic tank to make a tuba. he amazingly enough did the same thing the next year with a Fiat allis scraper. He paid $25k for it and it only made 5 loads, he sold it at ritchie brothers for $4k. I was sitting next to him and I thought he was going to have an anuerism when the bidding was over. lol

  5. #5AmericanLandMgt2010-09-09 12:24

    I got my Komatsu PC-120 Which i think is a little bit bigger than the John Deere and it was only 12000 delivered. I wouldnt be afraid of buying an older machine if you dont need to use it all day every day. Mine has had a few hoses and one hydraulic seal that have gone bad but nothing serious. If the engine is gone in that thing I would offer him five grand for it. Theres no telling what your going to find wrong with it once you get it running.

  6. #6Kgmz2010-09-09 13:49

    AmericanLandMgt is right, no way to tell what else is wrong if it is not running. I don't have a problem with the machine since we own one, a 1991 490D. And I know ours is not worth much more than $20,000 right now, but it is maintained and is in good running condition. I just spent about $5,000 rebuilding the swing motor gearbox, rebuilding a cracked thumb cylinder, and resealing a couple of others.

  7. #7tommy19842010-09-19 23:03

    I bought a 1994 490E with 6000 hours in very good shape for 16k delivers 300 miles.

  8. #8Deereman2010-09-26 19:46

    Thats to too bad of a deal!! What parts of ken tuck are you in?