While digging in the garden, I noticed a grease fitting that I had missed. I grabbed my gun, and locked out the back arm controls, and greased the fitting. If you are in close contact with stabilizers, back hoe arm or front loader, should you shut off the tractor before getting close? I know that you need to engage the front loader lock when the bucket is up in the air and you are working underneath. Wondering if I should not work around other stuff when the engine is on. I’m the only one on the property. thanks
Well if you're the only one on the property and no offense but a green operator, then yes you need to put all the implements on the ground, shut off the engine and do whatever maintenance you need to do.
That you have a control lock in the back is great. I'd still shut down as mentioned above. Now imagine you have an older Case. there is no such lock, if the engine is running the controls are hot. My rottwieler found that out one day while I was moving and he was riding by the pedals and stepped on one No harm, but he KNEW he did it! The boom jerked and he got off that pedal and looked all sheepish, sorry dad
It doesn’t really cost you anything to shut it down amd drop the tools to finish greasing. Better to be too safe than not safe enough.
Hmmm... pre check machine, oil coolant etc... Start the engine and while it warms up grease everything. No?
I think it all depends on your comfort level with the machines. I have owned several tractors over the last 20 years, and I am fairly comfortable with them. If I was on an unfamiliar machine I would likely shut it down.
I stretch them out for some zerks and curl them up for others. I don't listen to it run while I am greasing
t the end of shift while equipment was warm. Lets the grease flow better and if running in wet or very dirty conditions you can flush it out before it sets up over night. Second thing is if you have eyes open while greasing at end of shift you might spot something that can be fixed so as to not delay start up in morning. And yes shutting off would be preferred for safety and quite!
That's what I do, especially on our older equipment. Check the piece of over, crank it up and grease it. Gives a second pre-trip inspection while you grease.
It's a lock out scenario. All energy sources need to be locked out before you put your body in the bite. A freak accident is still an accident. If it could have been prevented by shutting down, then there is all the more reason to do it.