Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shuttle Solenoid Operation

TheOldMan ยท 2012-01-22 14:25

Got the C operational today, and actually dug a little before i blew a swing cylinder. I have completely rewired this machine and thought everything was working fine. I can hear the shuttle solenoid pick with both the floor switch and the brake switch, but it doesn't disengage the clutch. Tractor pulls good, but you have to shift the clutch to reverse or forward w/o disengaging. Exactly what does the shuttle solenoid do when energized?

Replies8
  1. #1melben2012-01-22 14:48

    It is normal operation to go forward to reverse without disengaging the shuttle, in fact I've never even considered it, the converter cushions the shock loads and many use the reverse to hold themselves back going downhill when the brakes are faulty, you are just using the torque converter as a brake. It is beneficial to use the button to shift the four speed when giong between the 3-4 shift as that is a synchro shift in contrast to the 1-2 shift which is a straight gear shift non synchronized. Check for voltage ay the clutch disconnect solenoid with the switch on and a disconnect switch pushed and see if voltage is being sent to the solenoid, if so then the solenoid is not working or the disconnect plunger has a problem. With the wire disconnected from the solenoid apply voltage from a battery to the solenoid and see if it works. Make sure the solenoid has continuity. If you test the solenoid on the bench with voltage applied to the two terminals you have to push the internal part of the solenoid pretty hard to get it to push in but then the magnet should grab it and hold it IIRC. The solenoid retracts and allows the plunger to come out of the spool and dunps the system pressure thereby releasing the clutches. Mel

  2. #2TheOldMan2012-01-22 15:24

    I know the solenoid is electricly operating correctly, because I've rewired the whole thing, and I can hear it pick. I've read through the svc manual on operation of the thing, and it really doesn't give you any theory of operation. I'm assuming that when you energize the solenoid, it pulls the plunger into the coil. However, looking at the parts breakdown, it appears that the springs inside the valve body would tend to push the plunger out into the solenoid too. does the solenoid have an internal spring that pushes the plunger back in when it is de-energized? If the solenoid is not operating the plunger, is the plunger stuck? If you remove the solenoid, should you be able to manually push the plunger in he valve body back and forth?

  3. #3melben2012-01-22 16:03

    yes, the plunger is pushed out by light spring pressure and the unit should be disengaged with the solenoid removed. you should be able to push the plunger by light finger pressure. If it moves with the solenoid removed it is my opinion the internal plunger in the control spool is stuck in. Mel

  4. #4alrman2012-01-22 16:11

    If the solonoid has not been used for many years, chances are the dump valve in the spool is stuck. Read bowens thread about shuttle oil. With the solonoid removed, you should depress the plunger & about half way down , feel the plunger make contact with the dump valve & then open it. So, as you push the plunger in & out, it makes a clicking noise. If you can't feel the contact or hear the clicking, the dump valve is stuck. The only way to repair, is removal of spool valve (as did bowen) & remove the plunger & working the valve with a tool as I described in the other thread. PS - Good Onya mel! pipped at the post

  5. #5bowen2012-03-12 07:41

    Just for future reference this is the other post related.

  6. #6Doug Reno2012-03-30 00:14

    Hi, I am a new member and need info on wiring diagrams for 416C Cat backhoe. I know this probably does not apply to this thread but forum rules say I have to post three times to existing threads before I can start new thread. Sorry for a non-related reply. THX Doug Reno

  7. #7Selby R Knight2020-10-23 13:19

    also looking for wiring diagram for 1999 cat 416C specifically need fuel wires and sensor on back of water pump housing

  8. #8edgephoto2020-10-23 18:34

    for any Cat info and probably for all brands you need serial number. Model year is not really a thing with equipment.