Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Side Dumps

Edward Porter ยท 2018-11-21 21:45

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a used side dump trailer. Looking at different makes. My area doesn't have many so I think I may be able to work it. Figuring on a triaxle with a lift rear. Air ride. My questions vary from which is a better manufacturer and the good and bad points. Also any suggestions that will educate me. Rates etc. Fire away fellas. Lot of work up poor roads to rough places. Thanks in advance for all replies

Replies8
  1. #1Shimmy12018-11-21 22:24

    We have a Manac. Been a good trailer so far. Here in ND, not in the oil patch, we run for $125 per hour. Make sure you get a round tub, they clean out easier. Stay away from a Sidedumpr, the ones with the cylinders under the tub. I was told they need a high pressure wet kit, which are fairly expensive. SmithCo, Circle R, and Trail King all have good trailers, IMO. Be prepared to get stuck a time or two before you get experienced dumping it. Even with proper positioning at an angle you sometimes have trouble backing away. Lifting the rear axle helps, and always lock the divider in. Full lockers would be ideal. Some states have laws on the type of fifth wheel you must run, or so I've heard. Rumor is a Fontaine is the right one? Last but not least, in a sketchy situation, once you commit to dumping, DO NOT STOP. If the trailer axles look like they are starting to lift off the ground, hit the gas to get it dumped as quick as you can, and hope that the load slides out before the center of gravity is overcome.

  2. #2Edward Porter2018-11-22 12:58

    I've been running a SDI trailer for a friend It is short as it is the front half of a A train. Got stuck a time or 2 but locking the rears and position makes a difference. Most of the dumping has been rather tight areas. I was told going in to dump and don't hesitate or you will be on your side. Will a tri dem with the rear axle spread give me a bit more capacity?

  3. #3Shimmy12018-11-22 13:28

    Depends on what WY allows, and if you run on interstate. Depending on bridge length, if your trailer is really short, you may not gain much at all by just adding an axle to your current trailer, because you need to substantially increase your interior bridge length to increase your gross. For instance, given the proper tractor, a 5 axle rig with a 40' tandem trailer can gross 80k, but that same tractor pulling a 48' tridem trailer can only gross 87.5k, because the interior bridge limits you. Another factor is the spread of your tridem. A 10'2" spread allows you to put 43.5k on three, whereas a standard 8' spread tridem gets you 42k.

  4. #4Shimmy12018-11-22 13:35

    Here in ND, on state roads we can put 48k on a tridem, and only have to follow exterior bridge. This allows us to gross 93k on the same 6 axle rig that we can only go to 87.5k on the interstate.

  5. #5Wytruckwrench2018-11-22 21:49

    In Wyoming you want a three axle trailer.

  6. #6Wes J2018-11-23 09:42

    I've seen a few here, but very rare because of our bridge laws. But they have them everywhere in Iowa where they can haul more weight. I saw one at the quarry once. his empty was around 34,000 lbs (40' tandem). My 31' 3 axle aluminum trailer is only 30,000 empty. So they get 23 tons of payload.

  7. #7grandpa2018-11-24 21:00

    Observed one dumping concrete demo from a bridge demo project. A rather large piece balanced on the edge and tipped the whole works over.

  8. #8Shimmy12018-11-24 21:05

    Concrete is a SOB, when I have to haul it I am very particular on how I load. Only small stuff in the bottom, and the bigger pieces on top and in the middle of the tub. The big stuff also likes to fall against the wheels if it's the last to come out.