Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

side/end dump

Muffler Bearing ยท 2010-10-23 12:24

an old driver in Oregon once said to me, "There's only two kinds of tub drivers, those that have tipped one over, and those who haven't tipped one yet". Well in Colorado we call them end dumps, but, dang! that's got to be a sickening feeling to know that she's going over!

Replies9
  1. #1monster truck2010-10-23 13:23

    They can dump in alot more places than you would think, just have to be careful and pay attention. Here is my old 40' aluminium vantage dumping compost, all the other rows were fairly level but the whole yard is sloped for water drainage, this row is the worst. And no the picture is not tilted.

  2. #2Muffler Bearing2010-10-23 14:11

    I've heard the worst is a wet load that hangs up and doesn't want to slide. Yeah, you've got a nice angle going there.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2010-10-26 03:41

    A savy owner operator I had hauling rip rap once had 2 steel blocks, 1/2" and 1", if I remember, hanging from chains near the bump stops for the rear axle. He would look at the load and the ground, then put a block, or sometimes both in before he would dump. That leveled things up nicely to dump. We dropped 50,000 ton or rock in a sandy riverbottom. I was sure we would lose a trailer or 2, but they all stayed shiney side up. There were some close calls, especially with the 4 to 5 ton rock. I seen air under the tires more than once, but they all stayed up.

  4. #4RonG2010-10-26 05:26

    Just back in on an angle and the trailer is level to dump.Otherwise back the low side trailer wheels onto the edge of the pile.I have thousands of hours pulling trailer dumps on short hauls and the only thing that I fear are high winds and a load hanging on one side while dumping.You can even trip the tailgate and dump a small pile to back your trailer on if you have to.A blowout while dumping is pretty rare but could happen I suppose but two tires blowing at the same time is very unlikely.Ron G

  5. #5monster truck2010-10-26 07:10

    In my case none of those are an option, I build the windrows of compost as i dump so I have to dump in line with the rows. Backing onto the pile wont work either because it takes about 30' of driving forward to get it all out of the 40' trailer. I have used the block trick before but this trailer is air ride so it takes that option away.

  6. #6245dlc2010-10-26 08:08

    Yes hauling Clay or mud of any kind is the worst. A lot of guys here put 3/4" plywood along the sides and oak boards on the bottom with a steel lip to keep them from getting ripped out and to protect the ends of the boards. Some will oil the whole inside with "fish oil" using an old mop or corn husk broom so the wood soaks it up and stays slippery even during our cold winters. This works quite well for hauling snow and fairly good for mud and with shorter trailers I know a guy who took a long steel pole and put a kind of spatula end on it and after ever load with the box up he "pokes" out any remaining lumps to further help keep it from sticking. This also helps from hopping in and out of the box all the time with a shovel. He usually stores his long reach spatula somewhere along the frame rails with tarp straps.

  7. #7RonG2010-10-26 17:05

    All you have to do is roll it one time and you will figure out a better way.If you jackknife it in on an angle to level the trailer wheels and dump,the weight in the nose of the trailer lessens considerably which allows you to pull ahead some allowing the load to spread out on the ground.There is nothing dangerous about that dump site if you make it work for you.Ron G

  8. #8monster truck2010-10-26 17:56

    I have been hauling to that that site for a couple years now and know that the trailer can handle it just fine. That one row is the only bad one but it doesnt bother me anymore.

  9. #9RonG2010-10-27 03:16

    Nice going.As long as you are comfortable with it.That leaning business can raise hell with the packing in the hoist piston after a while so I try to take the strain off of it when I can.Ron G