Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Silo collapses, kills excavator operator.

Dig-UP · 2010-03-07 14:08

Silo collapses, kills excavator operator. Vid makes you want to think twice. Be safe. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8554024.stm

Replies22
  1. #1wolf442010-03-07 15:41

    least it was quick

  2. #2rino14942010-03-07 18:47

    Honestly, what did they think was gonna happen.

  3. #3tonka2010-03-07 19:25

    RIP man, at least it didn't hit the school...but like rino said what was he thinking...

  4. #4dynahoescott2010-03-07 21:02

    God rest his poor soul, may flights of angels sing him to his rest. But the way he approached that operation was suicide.

  5. #5DPete2010-03-08 12:41

    Nothing to add, you guys said it all. Poor judgment and disasterous result RIP

  6. #6Dozerboy2010-03-09 09:31

    Man that would suck watching that think coming at you with no where to go.

  7. #7insleyboy2010-03-09 18:41

    God Bless Him....But you CANT go there. It had disaster written all over it!

  8. #8stock2010-03-09 19:48

    God grant him peace and eternal rest.

  9. #9archibald2010-03-10 05:08

    that is truly awful ,he cant have been an experienced operator but he didint deserve that

  10. #10dynahoescott2010-03-10 10:56

    I have demolished many and various structures over the years, and I have to say I pushed the envelope on more than one occasion. Luckily for me,God was sitting on my shoulder and it always worked out fine, that being said the only way I would ever attempt THAT job with THAT rig is if I had enough material to bench myself up to about 75 to 80 percent behind the silo height reach up about three quarters of the way and walk into it and guide it in the direction you want it to go. However I must say brick structures are hard to demolish once they are rendered unstable, and like a regular 2 family house demo, once you get to that last part, usually the rear wall and a part of the side wall your next move is going to be your last, so you have to make sure you are going to drop it in the old homes footprint. But I have to tell you if my boss told me I had to do the job like that with that little machine I would definitely walk away.

  11. #11milling_drum2010-03-10 12:54

    I'm of the opinion that where that happened they have no regulations regarding such work to ensure safety.

  12. #12Arabhacks2010-03-10 13:08

    Sorry. Hello. No matter, what, he was an operator, one of our own.

  13. #13excav8r2010-03-11 13:46

    no matter if it was lack of experience or just plain negligence no one deserves that type of ending to thier life. RIP

  14. #14wolf442010-03-11 15:09

    Sorry you guys I don't see it any other way than gene pool correction. This clown would have got somebody else hurt if he had not got a Darwin award for his clever work practices

  15. #15dynahoescott2010-03-13 16:29

    Brutal, Wolfyboy, brutal and totally primative. You are a , wildman, no disrespect my friend.

  16. #16cat9432010-03-13 21:55

    A quick look at the video shows that he did have an earth platform behind the structure and more likely than not he tried to weaken it before he pushed it. as always it pays to watch what you are doing…

  17. #17Diggedirt2010-03-14 11:32

    It appears that the earth platform may have actually steered the silo towards him....RIP

  18. #18Colorado Digger2010-03-14 14:10

    Wow, rough comment for someone who has passed. you must be mr. perfect incapable of making mistakes. everbody does stuff they regret and that poor fella payed the ultimate price, try showing some compassion instead of saying something stupid. i think your comment is a bunch of b.s. i would prefer not hearing any more crap like that.. please.. get a clue ointhead

  19. #19excav8r2010-03-15 01:36

    Couldn't of said it better myself:drinkup

  20. #20Truckin4life2010-03-19 15:28

    By the look of the video, if he would have be able to spin counter clock wise, he might have lived... If he would have noticed it falling in time.... Atleast he would have had a better chance then the way he got hit...

  21. #21wolf442010-03-19 16:42

    Cry me a river dude! I am tired of puting up with dealing with idiots. Life is a chess game plan poorly and you die.

  22. #22Orchard Ex2010-03-19 18:15

    Me too. Thread closed