Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Simple pipe trench ripper.

KellyWagner ยท 2013-12-13 22:13

Need to lay abouy 200 feet of pipe and only have a 24 inch bucket. Was thinking about usi g some chain and a loadbinder to strap a piece of 2x4 flat bar across the mouth of my bucket and use like a trenching fang (hoogle it). I have very loose sugar sand soil so I am not worried about rocks and cant find a used 12 inch bucket with CWS lugging in my neckof the woods.

Replies5
  1. #1Scrub Puller2013-12-13 22:39

    Yair . . . KellyWagner . I wouldn't even attempt that with chain and binder. It would take about ten minutes to weld it and about the same to take it off. Cheers.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2013-12-14 07:18

    My dad has used a set up like this for years. He has a 6" piece of pipe welded through his bucket wheel trencher. Puts on a chain and binder to slope the ditch. I have watched him cut for miles with this set up.

  3. #3blooper2013-12-14 07:30

    Cool, would love to see a pic of this.

  4. #4buckfever2013-12-14 16:43

    Never having tried it I would be with scrubpuller. One good pull would break a chain or binder right off. Why not do what Esco does and weld a ripper box on the back? That way you can take the ripper off faster when you don't need it.

  5. #5mitch5042013-12-14 17:09

    My bil made a narrow bucket for his 410 JD by just turning a piece of about 5" angle iron open side toward the tractor, putting a bend halfway up it, and welding ears on top to fit his machine. It works well for digging narrow trenches, you can actually pile the spoil to the side. It works better than any other bh attachment I've seen in damp clay because you can get rid of the bucketful.